WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Sure, you can run your alcohol stove on methanol. That's what comes in a yellow bottle of HEET. I mean it's cheap and available and all -- but it doesn't have as much heat content as ethanol. In other words, you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

OK, so I can get more heat from ethanol than methanol, great, but alcohols with high ethanol content tend to be more expensive. Just how much weight can I save? In other words, Is Ethanol Worth It?

Join me on today's Adventure in Stoving as we "do the numbers" on ethanol.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Images

I use a simple tuna can with holes punched in the side for my current DIY stove. I find the diameter fits my pot well. I use the fuel that you find in hardware stores for boat kitchens. I think its ethyl alcohol?

H-J you have done some good testing. Great Blog!
    I will use either or both ethanol and methanol depending on what is available. Methanol seems to be a little easier to find is the quantities I need. I use a pressurized type stove so methonal works a little better than ethanol in the winter time. It has a lower boiling point.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    I use a simple tuna can with holes punched in the side for my current DIY stove. I find the diameter fits my pot well. I use the fuel that you find in hardware stores for boat kitchens. I think its ethyl alcohol?
    It won't be 100% ethanol, probably not even 95%. Most likely it's a blend of ethanol, methanol, and some other things, but you'd have to check the MSDS for the product. It'll probably work fine for stove fuel although it may not have the max heat per gram like you'd get from something with a high ethanol content.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    H-J you have done some good testing. Great Blog!
    Thanks! I try to make my stuff practical/useful.

I will use either or both ethanol and methanol depending on what is available. Methanol seems to be a little easier to find is the quantities I need. I use a pressurized type stove so methonal works a little better than ethanol in the winter time. It has a lower boiling point.
    Yeah, it's pretty tough to beat the availability of HEET (methanol), and you're right that it works better in colder weather. You can get green denatured at Home Depot, but they only sell it by the quart, so it's a little more expensive.

Green denatured does have a fairly high ethanol content. I could clearly see the difference in my tests.

HJ

This may be a little esoteric for some, but one thing that stood out during testing is that the flame from burning ethanol is a lot more visible during daylight. Now I know none of you have ever burned the hair off the back of your knuckles checking to see if your stove is still lit, but I've had a few "ouch moments" in my time. Particularly for those of you with younger kids, maybe that's something worth thinking about.

HJ

Hmmm...I love the smell of burnt hair in the morning!
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Denatured alchohol. 90-95% ethanol, plus methanol etc. About $6 per gallon. Much less expensive than HEET.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Denatured alchohol. 90-95% ethanol, plus methanol etc. About $6 per gallon. Much less expensive than HEET.
    Where? I'm paying about $14 per gal.
    SUPPORT LNT

The denaturing process is just making sure that you won't drink the stuff. Methanol, other additives you wouldn't want around BUT my can was labeled as stripper/chaffing dish fuel. Gotta figure they didn't put anything like Zync powder or the likes in there. I just buy heat by the 4 pack at Walmart. I can get Everclear in this state, could see what pure 180 proof ethanol would be like. Guess that's only 90% though, the rest is water I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean417 View Post
    The denaturing process is just making sure that you won't drink the stuff.
    Yes. Exactly. However, some of the stuff used as a denaturant can be nasty to burn. Methanol burns pretty cleanly, but they throw a lot of other things into denatured alcohol besides just methanol.

Generally, "drinking grade" alcohol just contains ethanol, water, and flavoring/coloring agents (very minor amounts). 190 proof (95% ethanol) is about the highest concentration of "drinking grade" alcohol you can get. 150 proof (75% ethanol) is another popular composition.

HJ

Where? I'm paying about $14 per gal.
    Yes! I'd like to know too. I'm paying about $16.00/gallon at Home Depot for a gallon of SLX. If you extrapolate out the cost of yellow HEET, it too is around $16.00/gallon but is a little cheaper than SLX.

$6.00/gallon would be some nice, cheap stuff.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    I did a quick online search and found a price of $6.95 per gal plus shipping for 4 gal. min. order. That comes to $42 for 4 gal. Not bad really but unless I'm going to strip some antique furniture I don't need 4 gal. of ethanol.
    SUPPORT LNT

Yeah, good price, but who needs four gallons at a time? I mean, I like to get out and all, but four gallons?

HJ

I did a quick online search and found a price of $6.95 per gal plus shipping for 4 gal. min. order. That comes to $42 for 4 gal. Not bad really but unless I'm going to strip some antique furniture I don't need 4 gal. of ethanol.
    The shipping charges would likely eliminate any savings over purchasing per gallon at the local big box home improvement store.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Methanol is about 4 dollars per gallon when bought in 55 gallon drum. Thats how I buy it. At 1/2 ounce per meal how many days can I go????? seriously I use it to make biodiesel also thats why the bulk.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Methanol is about 4 dollars per gallon when bought in 55 gallon drum. Thats how I buy it. At 1/2 ounce per meal how many days can I go????? seriously I use it to make biodiesel also thats why the bulk.
    Dang, you could start a re-sale business to the through hikers if you lived close to the AT.

HJ

Do you have data showing that it requires measurably more methanol than ethanol to boil the same amount of water?

Disregard this post - it is dumb.

But there is something you need to remember about fuels - operation is more important than efficiency. Methanol's lower vapor pressure makes it a much better choice for cold weather. And unless you are measuring the flue gasses, you have no idea whether or not your particular stove uses methanol efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Disregard this post - it is dumb.

But there is something you need to remember about fuels - operation is more important than efficiency. Methanol's lower vapor pressure makes it a much better choice for cold weather. And unless you are measuring the flue gasses, you have no idea whether or not your particular stove uses methanol efficiently.
    Let me clear something up: The downside to open burners is that you can't control boil off. Methanol's lower vapor pressure, which makes it easier to use in cold weather, also means that it boils easier than ethanol. And more can boil off than can burn. You can smell the unburned alcohol and you can see it collect on the bottom of a cold pan. You could probably setup a condenser (think moonshine still) and extract the unburned alcohol out of the exhaust.

Probably the better way to conduct your test would be to try it in the cold and with different burners. You really need at least two data points to draw any conclusions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++