WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Going to chaperone a Church Youth Group up there this weekend. we'll be using the free day to check out the Chimney Tops. I figure its low enough elevation to not be too icy, short enough to keep them from griping too much, and I'm sure they'll like scrambling up to the top.

Images

I was just up there a few days ago and there wasn't much snow, but lots of thick ice about a mile in. We wound up going only to the Jump Off due to the slow going. Yak trax would have been great, would have been much easier. We have had rain since then, but a very cold front coming, so I am sure it will be frozen. Take your yak trax!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Going to chaperone a Church Youth Group up there this weekend. we'll be using the free day to check out the Chimney Tops. I figure its low enough elevation to not be too icy, short enough to keep them from griping too much, and I'm sure they'll like scrambling up to the top.
    Do you think Chimney Tops would be a safer goal? Don't get me wrong, I really want to be on the AT... but i've never been to the Tops and they look awesome.

Images

Actually the tops look almost more dangerous to climb than the AT. I mean you're using hands on those things, that's pretty steep... however it is at a lower elevation... and the round trip is 2 miles shorter... we might try both

It has been a mild winter so far in the park. THere isnt much snow or ice currently, but that might change over this coming weekend.

Charlies Bunyon is accessible almost year round. If the road to NFG is open, you can probably hike out to the bunyon without too much difficulty if you are prepared for winter hiking.

Chimney Tops is a rock scramble for the last 300-400 yrds. Even in good weather this can be treacherous. Wouldnt recommend it under icy conditions.

Have fun, whichever route you choose.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

I'll be doing the hike to Charlies Bunion on Saturday if the road is open.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

It should be no problem, just turn back if it gets too bad for you. I hiked the smokies in once in 76? in early march with 3- 6 feet of snow. Did it in blue jeans and a sweat shirt. You can surely get up to CB. Just don't take the side trail around if its icey. LOL
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

People die on the Chimney Tops trail in the summer, though I expect that's from heart attacks. Not sure I'd want to try it in the winter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post
    Actually the tops look almost more dangerous to climb than the AT. I mean you're using hands on those things, that's pretty steep... however it is at a lower elevation... and the round trip is 2 miles shorter... we might try both
    Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    It has been a mild winter so far in the park. THere isnt much snow or ice currently, but that might change over this coming weekend.

Charlies Bunyon is accessible almost year round. If the road to NFG is open, you can probably hike out to the bunyon without too much difficulty if you are prepared for winter hiking.

Chimney Tops is a rock scramble for the last 300-400 yrds. Even in good weather this can be treacherous. Wouldnt recommend it under icy conditions.

Have fun, whichever route you choose.
    I'll scout the scramble section before letting any of the kids go up. If its icy, we'll def turn around. No since getting anyone hurt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I'll scout the scramble section before letting any of the kids go up. If its icy, we'll def turn around. No since getting anyone hurt.
    yeah i imagine it would be hard to explain to the parents how half of the church group disappeared...

-

spent the last 2 weeks in SMNP, only real hazards where 1/4 mile of icy trail between CB + the road and some fords.

IMO the issue with the folks day hiking to CB (and other spots in winter conditions) is not spikes etc. but the ability to take shelter if immobilized by an accident/fall, park staff is seldom on top in winter so to get help requires getting to a car, and down the hill to be able to call, response time to CB could easily be 8 hours; the standard for survival time in bad conditions without shelter is 3 hours; a sleeping bag, ground pad, basic shelter and a way to heat food/drinks are things most folks have but seldom carry even in winter for short hikes, think realistically about how to stay warm/dry as long as it may take to be evacuated or recover and get out yourself

well there is 1-3 inches in the lower elevations tonight, so figure 2-4"? maybe up at NFG so likely saturday/sunday cold with some ice, take some goretex

Images

Also made it on my trip. Due to the snow/ice on the trail it was more skating than hiking. The scramble at the top was safe to do, no ice.

Images

yeah it was warmer on the bunion with the sun out than anywhere else on the trail. We also made it to the chimney tops which had no snow or ice at all on top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++