WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    To go car camping with a hammock, you need two big trees, and a REALLY strong hammock.
    I really wish I didn't "get" your joke.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Would it be too much to ask the powers that be to put a couple of poles in the ground to hang hammocks from on selected sites? There could be a differentiation between "tent only" sites and "tent and hammock" sites - first come - first served. No harm, no foul for the tree-scar-o-phobiacs.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Please do not start the "LNT" thing - the straps prevent damage to the tree bark.
    Whether or not I, or anyone else on this forum believes that, it is immaterial. What is material is what Rangers, Federal, state and local policy managers, and those who advise them believe.

Somehow the fable of Pandora's box has come to mind ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

There should be no hammock-specific rules. Our natural resources are already protected. There are rules about cutting or damaging trees already in place.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    The first rule required of Hammock Campers in car camping area is that they pledge not to nag, cajole or otherwise pester the car campers to convert to Hammock Hanging.
    We only do that on websites. Actually, its the other campers that are usually oogle-eyeing and asking 20 questions about the hammock and setup.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    There should be no hammock-specific rules. Our natural resources are already protected. There are rules about cutting or damaging trees already in place.
    But I think the problem is that the rules you speak of regarding damaging trees are then expanded by those who don't know any better to include hammocking. I think this is the OPs point, which is to say that many park management folks need to be educated specifically about hammock camping given the greater potential for LNT and due to increasing numbers.

I agree that there should be no specific hammock rules, unless it is specific to what you can and can't do with trees in regard to a hammock suspension.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"What Rules Should Apply To Hammock Camping in State, Federal, Local Campground Sites?"

Same rules that should apply everywhere: Act like you have some sense and don't **** things up for other people.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

We have at least one state park here that allows hammocks to be hung from the trees, you just cannot spend the night in them. "They are not considered camping units." You must have a tent or RV.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

use dead standing trees only is an excellent idea/rule

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    At least that way one can predict which way they'll fall.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Yep, if you don't want to wake up the next morning. As long as you're not using rope for your hammock, but instead using at least a 1 inch strap around the tree, and you're not trying to use a banana tree, you and the tree will be alright. Using dead trees is just asking for trouble, at some point those trees will fall, would you like to be tied up to one when it does?

Oh damn, does this mean I gotta stop cutting down dead trees for firewood

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i've had no problems in; Me, NH, NY, Pa, NJ, Md, Del, Tenn, Va, NC, SC, Ga, but i heard Florida is a problem. this includes state parks and the trail.
    Actually, its just in Florida State Parks, there is no rule against hammock camping on the Florida Trail. Although, if you're on private land on the FT and the land owner asks you to not hang, then you might want to find another place to hang.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

I am sorry that I did not get the kind of feedback I was looking for. While it is nice to think that the "new kids on the block" (i.e. hammock hangers) are going to get a free pass from regulations and rules, that has not been the way I have seen large bureaucracies work.

For now, I will take a break from this project....and maybe revisit it again in the Spring.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm sorry you didn't get the response you were looking for. That is the nature of policy work tho. You ask for comments, and you sometimes get feedback that doesn't support your position. How you work with the feedback you get will ultimately determine how you write policy, and whether it will be accepted by all the stakeholders involved. Good luck.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Are hammock users, as a group over a long period of time, who attach to specific trees, more likely to damage those specific trees than non-hammock users, as a group over a long period of time, are likely to damage those same trees? If the answer is definitively "No" than I'd think that hammock use needs no harsh restriction beyond the normal restrictions on camping for that area.

I'd think it could be tested. Sacrifice a few trees; have huge numbers of hammock users of all skill and experience levels hook up and put moving weight over 6-10 hours (whatever the average is), over a period of time. If no damage, case proved, no restriction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Any want that doesn't leave a trace on the trees is fine. Not so much as a scratch on the bark from the hammock or tarp supports. I think it would be a good idea to allow hammock camping only if the hanger paints the tree where his straps will be ahead of time, then demonstrates that the straps did not scrape through the paint. Then you would know for sure the bark was not damaged.
    im assuming this is a joke because nobody is this stupid
    I have been to state parks car camping in Pa, NJ, MD without problems. had great conversations with rangers. if you want to camp in South Jersey ALL these sies accept hammocks.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...15416,2.705383 i've been to all. if you have a park that does not allow hammocks consider a demonstration for them. invite the boy scouts and locals too. educate them. it will help.
    KK&K
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Hey Karl:

F.Y.I. It was a national park here in Maryland I was talking to that currently bans the use of hammocks.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Journal Entries
    Images

The current administration has made all camping in designated parks in Maryland almost not worth going to ... I have camping there for years...and they screwed it up.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-22-2012 at 20:30.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Effect the environment as little as possible. as long as hammock campers don't multiply by 100 anytime soon,im sure it will not be a problem. Although if it did i think hammock tree camping would end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++