WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I hiked thru there in mid-October and ran into several hunters with dogs then. Was that bear season also or??

PS: Thanks for all the clean-up work!!
    There is a dog "training" season at some point in the late summer/fall....also there is a time set aside for bow hunters.One other note the NC bear season is longer than TNs...

Thanks, I knew they have a raccoon "running" season but didn't know about bears.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Just had a stay here last week the night it began to rain. I want to give a big shout out to the Cleaner - this shelter looked awesome! It was neat and tidy and there was cut firewood (logs) under the shelter floor. We built a cozy fire in the fireplace that was enjoyed by the shelter full of hikers trying to get in before the rain came. Lows were in the 20s when we went to bed but warmed as the night went on so the fire really helped to pull things up and make it bearable.

One note: the bear cables here are missing the clips that snap the cable to the tree (into the eye bolts). We used a bit of rope to tie them down to the bolts but it would be much easier with the clips. Of course, our packs full to the brim with food got rained on but a trip the next day to Hemlock Hollow Inn took care of that next to the wood stove

Anyway, we did our best to leave it cleaner than we found it, Cleaner. Thanks again for all you do!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Just had a stay here last week the night it began to rain. I want to give a big shout out to the Cleaner - this shelter looked awesome! It was neat and tidy and there was cut firewood (logs) under the shelter floor. We built a cozy fire in the fireplace that was enjoyed by the shelter full of hikers trying to get in before the rain came. Lows were in the 20s when we went to bed but warmed as the night went on so the fire really helped to pull things up and make it bearable.

One note: the bear cables here are missing the clips that snap the cable to the tree (into the eye bolts). We used a bit of rope to tie them down to the bolts but it would be much easier with the clips. Of course, our packs full to the brim with food got rained on but a trip the next day to Hemlock Hollow Inn took care of that next to the wood stove

Anyway, we did our best to leave it cleaner than we found it, Cleaner. Thanks again for all you do!
    The Cleaner is da man! He is always going up there to cut firewood etc... he's great. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay there, FC.

I hope every other place you stayed was all you hoped it would be.... Please give us your opinion of places you stayed on your Thanksgiving hike. You are a trustworthy source (with first hand experiences) of places on the trail ... jus sayin.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Jerry Cabin Update

The shelter is old but functional. Not spotless, but definitely not trashed. The fireplace still works. As of late June, 2019, the spring is flowing great.

As noted, the bear cables lack hook on the nearby trees, but a work-around is not that difficult. I'll take less-than perfect bear-cables over bear boxes, inadequate bear hangs, or my own Ursack any day.

Stayed at Jerry's Cabin on 9/20, found it in great shape ... and contrary to reports on Guthook of flying squirrels attacking food bags on the bear cables, I saw none.

Pity, really. I use a allegedly varmint-proof bag, and thought it would have made a great video post, win or lose.

Thanks to the Cleaner, and joining in the voices pressing all backcountry visitors to clean up their own messes.

was there mid Oct 2020, tented but the shelter was clean and in good shape

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++