WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

yeah. yeah. yeah. scout camp to the balds. bang a right at the mst and another right at the green ridge trail (i forget the name exactly, was highly safe that day). camping ON black balsam and ON the highest point of the green ridge. then swim in the swimming hole at the bottom b/c that's what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    yeah. yeah. yeah. scout camp to the balds. bang a right at the mst and another right at the green ridge trail (i forget the name exactly, was highly safe that day). camping ON black balsam and ON the highest point of the green ridge. then swim in the swimming hole at the bottom b/c that's what you do.
    Still rornery?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Still rornery?
    nope. just got a christmas package from home. it's full of chocolate and firearms. god bless 'merica.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    FWIW....I just confirmed shuttle to Round Knob Picnic area Sunday @ noon.From RK it's 1.75miles up to the AT and then 1 mile over to the shelter.I should be able to get there and do some clean-up before too late in the day.At 4pm I'll be having tea and listening to NPR's "This American Life".Will be taking extra Coleman fuel to burn trash and can pack out the fire leftovers.Doesn't get much better than that for a short winter hike.Monday's plan is to hike to Little Laurel and check things there and spend the night.Anyone who wants to come up is welcome,I should have a nice fire going to warm up by....
    How far is Round Knob trail from the northern end of Exposed Trail blue blaze?
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 12-19-2011 at 13:11.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Why is that being done?
    Its mainly to get the trail to a better grade from the top of Coldspring Mtn to Flint Gap. The current grade is an ankle breaker. But its also to help bring attention and the conservation of the Rocky Fork area.

Right now, the CMC and Konnarock Crews have been working on the relo for the last couple years. Instead of switch backs down the NC side, its going to go around the Snakeden Ridge and over look Rocky Fork on the Tenn. side.
    http://www.atconf.org/docs/lwcf/2011...rocky-fork.PDF
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its mainly to get the trail to a better grade from the top of Coldspring Mtn to Flint Gap. The current grade is an ankle breaker. But its also to help bring attention and the conservation of the Rocky Fork area.

Right now, the CMC and Konnarock Crews have been working on the relo for the last couple years. Instead of switch backs down the NC side, its going to go around the Snakeden Ridge and over look Rocky Fork on the Tenn. side.
    http://www.atconf.org/docs/lwcf/2011...rocky-fork.PDF
    Interesting.... Looks like the big climb from the gap up to where it levels off around the Green Ridge Trail isn't going to be affected. Dangit.

Was through there in '10 and don't recall it being any better or worse than the average shelter.

Images

Look UNDER a shelter sometime. The trash there could only be dumped by thru-hikers. Liptons, various bar wrappers, but mainly odds and ends of blister treatment stuff, band aids, and yards of tangled and used duct tape. Unless some obsessive ridge runner goes under it will accumulate for a long time. I say if we each pick up ten pieces of litter each day the problem will be solved.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Look UNDER a shelter sometime. The trash there could only be dumped by thru-hikers.
    No idea why you'd say that. I'm a section hiker. Couldn't I drop trash (on purpose or by accident) just like a thru-hiker? Seems a weird claim for you to make. Am I just missing something, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I say if we each pick up ten pieces of litter each day the problem will be solved.
    Right you are! Though some refuse is too large for a single ordinary hiker to haul out, 99% is small to tiny and if every hiker would pick up what he or she sees on the trail or at shelters, then the problem would be solved, yes.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I think the original point I had made or meant is about all hikers.

Images

Just got back this afternoon after hiking up to Jerry's Cabin then over to Little Laurel.Both shelters now litter free and the trail has only 1 or 2 large blowdowns.The blowdown 1/2 mile north of Allen Gap,I trimmed up so you can pass but will need chainsaw to finish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    How far is Round Knob trail from the northern end of Exposed Trail blue blaze?
    As one hikes south from Jerry's Cabin,at 1 mile Round Knob trail/jeep road turns right.1 mile further Phillip's Hollow trail heads right to the parking lot of Margarette Falls.The relocation starts about 200yds. before Phillip's Hollow trail....

As one hikes south from Jerry's Cabin,at 1 mile Round Knob trail/jeep road turns right.1 mile further Phillip's Hollow trail heads right to the parking lot of Margarette Falls.The relocation starts about 200yds. before Phillip's Hollow trail....
    These trails intersect the AT?

Just got back this afternoon after hiking up to Jerry's Cabin then over to Little Laurel.Both shelters now litter free and the trail has only 1 or 2 large blowdowns.The blowdown 1/2 mile north of Allen Gap,I trimmed up so you can pass but will need chainsaw to finish.
    Well done and thanks!

BTW, was there still a huge pile of orange peelings at JC? Right in front of the picnic table it looked like someone had sat down and ate a bag of oranges.

thanks cleaner :-)
    and everyone else out there, that give's back to the trail
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 12-21-2011 at 17:50.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    These trails intersect the AT?
    On the TN side there are ,I think,5 trails leading up from the valley.They are,Bullen Hollow&Phillip's Hollow(these trails both start at the Margarette Falls parking lot) Round Knob,Horsecreek trail/jeep road,Sarvis Cove and Middle Spring Ridge(turn left at the footbridge on Horsecreek trail).All of these trails end at the AT with the exception of Bullen Hollow which ends near Low Gap on the road up to Camp Creek Bald firetower...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Well done and thanks!

BTW, was there still a huge pile of orange peelings at JC? Right in front of the picnic table it looked like someone had sat down and ate a bag of oranges.
    Actually when I arrived at Jerry's at 2pm I could hardly find any tra*****he only problem was the picnic table was way out in front of the shelter.I cleaned out the fireplace,fired it up&made tea.I did move the table back into the shelter..

Images

Actually when I arrived at Jerry's at 2pm I could hardly find any tra*****he only problem was the picnic table was way out in front of the shelter.I cleaned out the fireplace,fired it up&made tea.I did move the table back into the shelter..
    I didn't know TRASH was a prohibited word....

Thanks, good work.

I didn't know TRASH was a prohibited word....
    It's not, you hit a wildcard string match.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

FWIW The TN Bear hunt was 12-1 to 12-14.Last year the local hunters did about the same thing.The Cleaner will be going up this weekend to do what I can....
    I hiked thru there in mid-October and ran into several hunters with dogs then. Was that bear season also or??

PS: Thanks for all the clean-up work!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++