WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Does Being A Labeled a 'Thru-hiker' Matter?

I'm excited about my plans for my AT trip. i.e., section hiking Georgia as part of my training and then taking off the latter part of March from wherever I'ved reach by then. I'm thinking maybe near Fontana. But I keep being reminded that I won't be a 'thru-hiker'. Darn it...I was always one to want the stars by my name on the board! But, other than calling myself a 'thru-hiker', does it really matter?

It matters a lot if you're trying to fill out a permit to hike the AT in the Smokey Mountains.

Beyond that, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    I'm excited about my plans for my AT trip. i.e., section hiking Georgia as part of my training and then taking off the latter part of March from wherever I'ved reach by then. I'm thinking maybe near Fontana. But I keep being reminded that I won't be a 'thru-hiker'. Darn it...I was always one to want the stars by my name on the board! But, other than calling myself a 'thru-hiker', does it really matter?
    It only need matter to yourself wether or not you receive this accolade.

Images

Just a title. We'd be better off with out 'em.
    -milkman

got soul?

I could be wrong, but I think it's sufficient to be a long distance hiker for the purpose of permits. As far as labels, what you have planned sounds pretty awesome, and very sensible. I think the best way to plan and prepare a thru-hike is by hiking it, and that's what you are doing. Have fun with it.

If its important to YOU you'll start at Springer next March.

If it isn't you won't.

Personal choice.

Images

Don't sweat it . Thrus aren't privileged hikers.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't worry about calling yourself a theu-hiker or not. Better than half of the folks who start NOBO from Springer call themselver thru-hikers and they have no intention of ever being one.
    Grampie-N->2001

I'm feeling the support guys! Thanks a lot. I guess I needed to hear that. Bati, I will check on the permit issue. I had already considered that, but better go ahead and check.

Grampie has a very good point. Why is it you get to call yourself a thru-hiker the whole time until you quit in Pearisburg or something, but not if you start at the NOC and go all the way to Maine?

The whole thing is stupid.

I hiked with guys who were doing all kinds of section things, flip-flops, multi-year gigs, whatever, and it did not seem to matter much or produce any kind of caste system in the community. If it does, find better trail pals ... LOL

If you plan on attempting a thru in the future use that word (attempting) when refering to yourself and your hike. It takes the "pressure" off. If it doesn't happen the first time it's no big deal there's always another attempt.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't call, or even consider myself a thru-hiker until I finished. If folks asked me if I was a thru-hiker I would answer, I'm just hiking north.
    Grampie-N->2001

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    When the A.T. was built it was never the intention of those that designed it to be thru hiked. Just tell everyone you are using it for it's intended purpose.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

it matters less than being called Hiker Trash cause being called Hiker Trash means you're accepted into the community

I take it you are still hiking now, and then will take a break for winter or something like that. Well if you finish next year before you started this year that would be as great an accomplishment in my opinion. For that matter, you might want to start over at Springer so you can do the BMT. It's an awesome trail from what I've heard. I think if you hike 2000 miles in a single calendar year its a pretty awesome year no matter where you are hiking it, but I'm guessing it doesn't get too much better than the southern part of the AT or the BMT that parallels it. Shame not to do both, even if it meant missing part of the AT further North. Don't be to hung up on labels. Hike where you want to hike, when you want to hike it.

For my part, I'm hoping to complete my 10,000th post some time this year.

Images

There are only two possible entities who have any authority at all to define your hike.

One is the ATC, which has taken the official position that there is no difference between a section hike vs a thru hike.

The other is you. If you consider what you propose a Thru Hike, then it is, and you should have no hesitation or concern talking about it as such.

In casual conversation, most folks consider a hike that covers the entire trail, and is completed in one calendar year, or one season is a Thru Hike. Other folks like to add all sorts of other stipulations and requirements to the definition, but they have absolutely no authority to do so, and their definition is no more or less valid than your definition. Especially as it pertains to your hike.

Get out, have fun, be proud of what you accomplish, and let other worry about what they accomplish.

Images

If anybody asks, just say you are hiking to Maine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    For my part, I'm hoping to complete my 10,000th post some time this year.
    Now that is an accomplishment. How many miles of type does that equal out to?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Good question. Some of my posts are a fair trudge, which definitely adds to my average miles per post.
    I try and stay in shape, but the very occassional weekend hike interupts things a little.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++