WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

Default Worst AT Memory?

If you are a member of this forum, or are at least vaguely similar to me, you have an ever-present love of the AT through the good and the bad. But we all have a time when our affection was the hardest to constantly maintain.

My memory was during a winter hike in 2005 or '6 (can't remember) in the Smokies. It was balls cold in the teens, and early in the morning. I woke up thirsty and to my great dismay realized my water bottle was bone dry. I quickly slipped on some damp clothes (slushy from snow the day before) and took off sleepily down the side trail to the spring. This particular source was a huge slippery rock with a little reservoir in the middle from a waterfall above it. My sleep-ridden brain did not even consider the fact that the rock was slippery, so before I knew it I was sliding on my stomach down the rock, quite similar to a human bobsled. I eventually stopped, but my water bottle and pride was long-gone down the cliff.

The following day was very cold and achy from soaking wet clothes as well as physical and emotional bruises.

My Question is: What was your worst AT memory?

In '04, my friend Northern Harrier was thruhiking. I had joined him from Springer to Wallace Gap at his start and planned to rejoin him in NJ. So mid-June, I met him at Rutherford Shelter with the plan to accompany him to Pawling. But the weather was horrible - near 100 degree temps and extremely humid. Spent 2 nights sweating on top of my sleeping bag in the tent (because of the mosquitos which were at their zenith). On the 4th day, the heavy thunderstorm crashed upon us; the water in my boots exacerbated my new blisters making walking very painful. I decided I wasn't having fun and bailed out at Greenwood Lake.

Returned in late August & September to finish NJ and NY to the Hudson under much more pleasant conditions.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The day after I finished. Found that while I was gone the parents started divorce proceedings, the family house had been sold, had two weeks to find a place to live and move my belongings. The family dog was also put to sleep.

True story.

http://www.pmags.com/after-the-trail...-re-adjustment

Have to update it for 2011....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Had to walk 12 miles into Hanover without whiskey...other than that it was pretty good on both thrus.

geek

Images

One day my fete hurt for a while and I spilled a bag of gorp but managed to pick most of it up.

It was my third day out. The night before I wasn't very hungry, so I ate about a cup of oatmeal for dinner. I hadn't had lunch the day before either.

So I woke up at dawn, still not hungry, packed up and headed out. About an hour in I started to feel a little light headed. Around 11 I reached the lake where I had thought I'd want lunch, but I still wasn't hungry so I kept walking. At this point I was kind of dizzy and freezing cold (even though it was warm out) so I stopped and put on more layers. At 12:30 I just felt like I couldn't take a step further. I sat down in the middle of the trail for about 5 minutes. Then I scooched over to the side and laid down on the ground. It took me 15 minutes to realize I probably ought to eat something. After cramming down some kit kats with peanut butter I felt well enough to keep hiking.

Now I MAKE myself eat every 2-3 hours. Even in the middle of a hard climb, or when I don't feel like stopping, If it's been 3 hours I just sit down wherever I happen to be and cram down a candy bar. Because I never want to feel like I did that day ever again.

The drive home every hiking weekend.

Images

It's a toss up ; I had symptoms of heat exhaustion this past Labor Day and suffered from a kidney stone attack another time.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I tripped over some sunflower seeds some Tool had spit on the ground.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Fording the Big Wilson in the hundred mile wilderness I fell in and lost my wallet from my back pocket. I had a total of 39 cents to finish my thru. No cash, credit cards or ID. I went on and everything worked out. One problem I had though was getting home. Without an ID I couldn't fly or take the train. I took a Greyhound Bus for about 30 hours. In the end it just made for one more good story about my thru. This was in 04, and I met Northern Harrier mentioned above when in PA.

Scorpion

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

1) Early stages of hypothermia while ascending Mt. Everett from the north in April 1975. We encountered a light rain near Jug End, which got colder as we ascended before turning to a sleet/rain mix. There used to be a shelter just north of the summit, but it was so foggy that we passed by it as we were whipped. The trail turned to a sheet of ice which we overcame with difficulty, only to find that we had to turn around. We were very, very wet and tired for a few hours until we finally boiled up some soup (we didn't know about hypothermia).

2) After the first night of a short weekend trip in northern Jersey in the summer of '78 we learned that a spring was dry. We kept walking on a humid, sunny day and ran out of water about 5 miles short of NY-17A. I still tend to carry more water than I really need, as I never want to be in that position again.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Got separated from a fellow hiker, who never showed at the designated camp site area. Winds were keeping the already cold air very, very cold. Stayed up all night waiting for him with my husband or another person I was pretty sure might not be completely sane. Thought she'd either pushed him off one of the cliffs or he'd slipped. Found him (eventually) the next day. Not a good trip--except, I hope we learned to be better prepared.

The thing is ...when I think of what should be my most miserable experiences...lighting and hail on a ridge I couldn't get down from.... ten days and nights of rain in Virginia.....record breaking heat in Pennsylvania.....washed out bridges with streams to ford.... wind throwing me off the rocks on Franconia Ridge......a frozen rolled up tent I couldn't set up in the Whites, with a wake up in the morning to frozen boots and water bottles......
    None of them at the time seemed to be that major, maybe even worth a good chuckle... and now they are memories I will never forget.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Default AT Experiences

IMG.jpgMy AT "Mishap" came in 2006. I fell in the Mahoosuc Notch and busted up my leg pretty good! I was SOBO, so I ended up hiking to Gorham, NH before I could get help. By the time I got to the Doctor in Berlin, NH, the leg was infected and looked pretty bad. They cleaned the wounds, took x-rays, and then a nurse came in with a Tetanus shot which hurt worse than my leg injury. I spent 5 days at a friend's house in Bethel, ME cleaning the wounds and trying to learn how to walk again from that damned Tetanus shot. I finally bought a soccer shin guard and headed back out, and wore that thing all the way to Delaware Water Gap. I did learn a valuable lesson from this however.....Always remember when you got your last Tetanus shot!

1987 when wingfoot went commercial and did his "anniversary" hike. i walked into damascus a week before the 1st trail days and saw a huge banner announcing his arrival sponsored by Thorlo sucks and a few other gear companies. knew then the trail was doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    1987 when wingfoot went commercial and did his "anniversary" hike. i walked into damascus a week before the 1st trail days and saw a huge banner announcing his arrival sponsored by Thorlo sucks and a few other gear companies. knew then the trail was doomed
    i meant socks

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

Hiking thru the Smokies in mid January of 1996 with a -56º windchill, after a blizzard. Staying alone in a shelter with W. Lenard is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I tripped over some sunflower seeds some Tool had spit on the ground.
    Yer crazy! (lol)
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The day after I finished. Found that while I was gone the parents started divorce proceedings, the family house had been sold, had two weeks to find a place to live and move my belongings. The family dog was also put to sleep.

True story.
    Wow. Tough stuff.
    I might have returned to the trail...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i meant socks
    You were right the first time.

Btw: Thanks to you and other hikers I decided to try some Darn Tough socks on my last little trip. They seem to be a bit tougher than Smartwools.

Thorlos, though - they're not so good on moisture management but they'll just about last forever. I still have a pair I wear for yardwork. They must be 12 years old and have 1,000 mi. on them.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++