WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Wow. Tough stuff.
    I might have returned to the trail...
    Well, I did move 2000 miles away, did the PCT, CDT, CT, LT (again) and the BMT. Took up backcountry skiing, climbing, explored Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico.

If it wasn't for the AT and my life being completely different from what happened just after the AT, I would not be where I was today.

I just came back from a a full moon snow hike in Rocky Mtn NP.

All in all, I'd say my life is much better because of what happened 13 yrs ago.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

On my own in Tray Mtn shelter, after being in heavy rain for a few hours I was pleased to see the shelter, the water was a long way down in the rain and failing light, got even wetter hanging the food. Had to sleep side on in the shelter as the rain was blowing about half way in. Slept well.

I was 13 and we had camped at Spense Field then came down the side of the mountain to the head of Eagle Creek and camped to fish for native trout. The fishing was going good and we had several "Specks" to fry. I was frying up some bacon over an open fire and managed to spill bacon grease on my knee. It was probably a third degree burn because I still have a 2 inch scar on my knee but all I knew at the time was that it hurt. Maybe not really an AT story but we had crossed the AT and were still near it.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Having to drink pond water that looked like urine.

Getting back to the shelter after getting water only to see a bear run off with my brand. new. sleeping bag in his mouth.

Images

A bad day on the trail is still better than your best day at work.
    skinny d

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    Change your job,Seriously. I am tired of reading this sentence.

The bad day on the trail is NOT better than the best day at work. It is a sentence that people repeat without genuinely thinking about it.

Or there is a possibility that bad day of yours have not been that bad anyway.

If you believe that phase about a bad day on the trail, then you've never had a bad day on the trail.

Granted some jobs are worse than others, but if step back and look at from almost any perspective, this simply isn't true- a bad day is a bad day regardless of where it occurs.

Count it in how much damage you've done to your body, how many people are dead, what triggers the memories of the event years later, and how hard you had to push yourself to stay alive or how lucky you were.

On my worst day at work, after being barricaded in a hotel for several hours I only had to run a short distance through a riot, less than half a mile, while carrying my luggage and wearing a suit. And make a long scary ride to the airport with my companions. In the end, nationwide, there were about 50 deaths. Within 12 hours, my life was pretty much back to normal.

On my worst day on the trail, I was pushed to the limit of my endurance, lucky to be somewhere near a shelter with a great partner and reasonably equipped, and the death toll nationwide was about 6 times that of the riots. And the effects of the storm were still affecting me 12 days later.

A bad day is a bad day, regardless of where it is. And given my experiences, If I had to repeat one, I'd take my chances figuring I wouldn't be one of the ones who got shot versus the surety of facing the brutality of a very angry mother nature.

Images

Even one's worst days on the AT still seem better than many of our better days in the so called "real world". With that said - I live in Atlanta and live / eat / breathe mostly this section of the trail in Georgia. When it was official that local college student / hiker Meredith Emerson had been kidnapped from the Byron Herbert Reese parking lot (after an AT / Byron Reese Trail day hike) and subsequently tortured, and murdered (by Gary Michael Hilton in 2008) and buried in the North GA mountains - it was indeed (and hopefully will not be eclipsed by another event like this) my "Worst AT Memory". Rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    Even one's worst days on the AT still seem better than many of our better days in the so called "real world". With that said - I live in Atlanta and live / eat / breathe mostly this section of the trail in Georgia. When it was official that local college student / hiker Meredith Emerson had been kidnapped from the Byron Herbert Reese parking lot (after an AT / Byron Reese Trail day hike) and subsequently tortured, and murdered (by Gary Michael Hilton in 2008) and buried in the North GA mountains - it was indeed (and hopefully will not be eclipsed by another event like this) my "Worst AT Memory". Rest in Peace.
    That certainly puts everything into perspective.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    I agree; I hate this over-used saying. Right up there with "It is what it is" and "It weighs next-to-nothing"!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

My best days at work were on the trail.
    Last edited by Mike2012; 12-11-2011 at 20:58.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The day after I finished. Found that while I was gone the parents started divorce proceedings, the family house had been sold, had two weeks to find a place to live and move my belongings. The family dog was also put to sleep.

True story.

http://www.pmags.com/after-the-trail-–-post-trail-re-adjustment

Have to update it for 2011....

That's pretty tough! But maybe they kept it from you so you would enjoy the hike more.

After hiking from Baxter to Hanover I was expecting my girlfriend to meet me for my ride home. Instead I spotted my dad's pickup when I hiked into town. I would never see her again. At least he brought my dog. But what made it my 'worse day'? Dad said I should just keep hiking, and I said no....
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Echraide View Post
    Having to drink pond water that looked like urine.

Getting back to the shelter after getting water only to see a bear run off with my brand. new. sleeping bag in his mouth.
    So do you still hide your GORP from other hikers in your sleeping bag?

Usually my worst memory is seeing the end of the section hike coming up and knowing I gotta go home for another year.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    After hiking from Baxter to Hanover I was expecting my girlfriend to meet me for my ride home. Instead I spotted my dad's pickup when I hiked into town. I would never see her again. At least he brought my dog. But what made it my 'worse day'? Dad said I should just keep hiking, and I said no....
    That sucks. No. That really sucks. I feel for ya man. You shoulda just kept hiking.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++