WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nerves of Jelly

I posted a similar question recently, because I was not sure if I was psyching myself up or psyching myself out. I start hiking THREE MONTHS FROM TODAY.

This will be my first extended thru-hike, although I spent three weeks on the John Muir Trail this summer.

I encourage you to train, both physically and mentally. Read up (skip Bill Bryson's book... he is very negative. Check out "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" (a forty-something husband/father) and "Becoming Odyssa" (a young woman just out of college) so you get a sense of the experiences of other first-time hikers. And be prepared physically so you know what your body can handle. Make sure you have decent gear and that your shoes/boots are broken in.

But being nervous about a six-month hike is natural. I look forward to meeting you along the AT.

Ross / DirtyGirl
    - - - - -

DirtyGirl
    2012 NoBo AT Thru-Hiker
    (and an incredibly proud 2011 SoBo JMT Thru-Hiker... I did it!!)

Ross Hayduk
    San Francisco, CA

www.hikerosshike.org

It's usual to have some apprehension before starting a thru-hike. The more backpacking experience you get before the thru-hike the less the nervousness.
    Incidentally, never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his boots. Then you will be a mile from him--and you will have his boots. (Groucho Marks)

Quote Originally Posted by CBass View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Some close friends and myself are planning on doing a thru hike starting in May when we all graduate from college. I've been hiking and camping all my life, but I can't seem to shake this nervous feeling about starting a 2200 mile journey and finishing. I'm just curious if everyone else feels this way when they first start, or is this a sign that I really should reconsider. Just asking advice and a little guidance.

Thanks,
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I can see the reason for some nerves. You're starting pretty late. May, you'll have to crank out the miles to get to ME before the snows. Not much fun in that. It will get really hot and humid fast. I'd wait 'til June and do a SOBO and take your time. Hope you all take your own gear and not rely on each other as the main motivating factor as friends have a tendency to drop out.
    Maybe he does plan to go SOBO and you are just assuming he is heading Northbound and starting pretty late in May. And even if he is going Northbound starting in May. He is still young. If he is in shape, he could easily make Mt. Katahdin before mid October.

Images

it is just eager anticipation about the challenge ahead it is natural go do it and enjoy it
    you will find that a lot of the stuff you think you need you dont reaily need my rule of thumb with a few exceptions is if you dont put your hands on at least once during the day you dont need it
    hillbilly

Images

it is just eager anticipation about the challenge ahead it is natural go do it and enjoy it<BR>you will find that a lot of the stuff you think you need you dont reaily need&nbsp; my rule of thumb with a few exceptions is &nbsp;if you dont put your hands on&nbsp; at least once during the day you dont need it &nbsp;<BR>hillbilly

Images

the wolf is right it is really about walking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you really wanna feel nervous, try going to Marine Corps boot camp. walkin' the AT is just a vacation
    And if you really, REALLY wanna feel nervous, try telling a Marine that being in the Air Force WAS being in the military.

As Crazy Cora said, "Don’t worry. On a new job, it’s quite common for things to not go well at first." This probably is applicable to a new hike as well.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

if you really wanna feel nervous, try going to Marine Corps boot camp. walkin' the AT is just a vacation
    Leaving boot camp heading for a hostile region of the world to enter combat, that also makes one a little nervous.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Some close friends and myself are planning on doing a thru hike starting in May when we all graduate from college. I've been hiking and camping all my life, but I can't seem to shake this nervous feeling about starting a 2200 mile journey and finishing. I'm just curious if everyone else feels this way when they first start, or is this a sign that I really should reconsider. Just asking advice and a little guidance.

Thanks,
    B
    I get so nervous at times I have thrown up haha, and you will hard pressed to find someone who has made more major changes in their life than me...practice at this helps but only a little. Doing anything BIG is nerve wrecking, anxiety will usually follow. Look it's just the AT, start at Springer and hike to Neels Gap, that's 30 miles - worried about that? Then when you get to Neels Gap hike another 36 miles up to Hiawassee - again not worth worrying about. Then get to Franklin and bam = you've walked 100 miles, which means you can walk 500, and if you can walk 500 you can do walk 2000. Small, bit size chunks. Hiking is nearly 100% mental, the biggest problem CBass will have with the AT is CBass, so take it easy and just start walking. The important thing is to make a decision and get out there, everything will change once out there. Don't worry about not completing the trail, focus on getting out of Georgia first : ) You will be fine!

Images

I get nervous thinking I may never get to do the thru-hilke I'm planning.
    Sailor

There will come a day out there on the trail when you realize that hiking the trail is just life now. It's your lifestyle. It's no big deal. There may also come a day when you finish the hike and have to relearn how to live in polite society again. Cherish every bit of nervousness and culture shock you experience!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

if you really wanna feel nervous, try going to Marine Corps boot camp.

...it's just push ups.

geek

Pretty normal, I'd say, to be apprehensive about it. It's a big leap into a different life, even if you're a very experienced backpacker.

That said, moment-by-moment and day-by-day there's usually not anything too complicated or awful about it, so if you just keep your perspective on the here and now it'll all be fine.

It's like ... pretty much anything, actually. If you think too much about what's ahead, and all the uncertainties there, it can get frightening. I can worry a lot about the next six months, and all I'll be doing is what I've been doing for years. When I stay down in the details of the day, it all seems to work out OK. Thru-hiking was like that too -- at least it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    ...it's just push ups.

geek
    lol. anything is easy really after you or someone else has done it. The light bulb....what's the big deal about that? Consider the 4 minute mile..was considered impossible at one time until somebody did it. Now we think the 3 minute mile is impossible.

Images

Normal and healthy. Go, an opportunity of a lifetime.

Meh Army boot camp ain't much better.

Thanks guys. Probably just over thinking it. We're gonna head up Springer when it warms up and hike to Blood Mountain or however far we get in a week. Appreciate the help.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Oh man... I really have some nerves made of jelly!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks,
    B
    As Larry the Cable Guy would probably say, "Slow and steady will get 'er done!"

If it's your personal goal to finish the hike, bear in mind that the most likely cause of failing to do so may be the friends you start out with.

AND - no one worth knowing is going to fault you if you don't finish the whole AT in one shot. Some people walk for a couple of weeks and get bored with the routine or sick of the bad weather, overcrowded shelters, etc. Things can happen back at home to call you back.

"One day at a time" is a good motto for ALL of us.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You better be nervous and excited. If you aren't why bother going?

Andy
    liked Brysons book, the only AT book I've ever read actually

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++