WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Late Lunch

Default Stove Loudness: How big of an issue at shelters?

I've narrowed my stove choices down to 2: the Optimus Svea 123R or the MSR Whisperlite.

One of my criteria in choosing a stove is how loud it is, and I'm guessing most people aren't expecting their hiking experiences to include jet engine noise. I know the Whispterlite is quiet-ish, more of a hiss than an industrial roar, and the Svea is between "quiet dishwasher" and "stove exhaust fan" on loudness, but, bear in mind, this is my Personal Loudness Scale and Registration Department rating. I'm a part-time guitar tech who has gone to practice and balanced amp volume sans earplugs, and someone who routinely works around lawn mowers and weedeaters in the summer season, so I might be a bit off in my judgement of noise levels.

How big of an issue are loud stoves at shelters? Say the Svea, for example. Would that stove be considered "too loud" by enough people to warrant banishment? It's not a big issue, because I can always bring the Whisperlite, I just don't want to be "that dillweed with the loud stove".

I've considered alcohol stoves, but they don't quite work for me, because I'm lazy.

I guess it depends if you just boiling water for dehydrated meals and tea or if you are scrambling eggs or something. If just boiling water the noise shouldnt be an issue since it takes only a minute or two.

Welcome

So your first post is about choosing a stove that would allow you to be the most considerate of people you might share a shelter with?

Outstanding!

It is unlikely that the stove will be burning long enough to get obnoxious, maybe that first cup of coffee...

I couldn't care less what noise level of stove people are using. They usually are only on for 5 min anyway and are not being used (mostly) at bed time.

Welcome welcome,agreed agreed.Your not gonna put any body out with a stove,and even if they did call you a dillweed behind your back or to your face so what.Hike your own hike,mean people blow.

That is a nice promising first post. I agree, stove noise will not earn you the ire of your fellow hikers. It's a "natural" camp sound and really doesn't last that long anyway.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

As long as you're not cooking after dark, when folks are trying to sleep, you don't have to worry about your stove. If you show up to a shelter late and want to cook, it would be polite to do it off in the woods someplace.

The only time you have to worry about being noisy at the shelters is during quiet hour 2am to 4am.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Not sure about loudness, but since you mentioned being lazy as one of you criteria, have you considered a pressurized isobutane stove such as the MSR pocket rocket or a Snow Peak Giga? I usually use a pocket rocket, just spin the stove onto the canister, light it and done.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Listening to the purr of a SVEA is and honor and a privilege.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Though a Svea 123R tends to be a bit noisy (sounds like a buzzbomb V1 rocket from WWII) because it uses a spatter plate in the burner head to mix the gas with air, also called a "roar" burner, It isn't nearly as obnoxious as some would indicate. It is like a loud purr, as Feral Bill states. Others should understand. A few might not. I consider it, for their sakes, to be an opportunity to better themselves by not reacting like spoiled brats, insisting on having their own way. To them I say, grow up, man up, whatever! The word still doesn't orbit around any one or group of homo sapiens.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Back in "the day" when everyone had a white gas jet engine stove, the noise 8 or 10 of them all going at once was quite loud. Slowly, one by one they would go off and once the last one was finished the silence was noticable.

If you do get a white gas stove, be sure to learn how to use it, they do take some practice. They also take a lot more work then an alcohol stove, as you need to almost constantly fiddle with them and keep a close eye on them or you'll burn your meal real quick. But as the elf says, if your really lazy, get a canister stove, those are the quickest and easiest to use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am a whisperlite user. Never even thought about the sound because my nose is always thinking about eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Thornton View Post
    I've narrowed my stove choices down to 2: the Optimus Svea 123R or the MSR Whisperlite.

One of my criteria in choosing a stove is how loud it is, and I'm guessing most people aren't expecting their hiking experiences to include jet engine noise. I know the Whispterlite is quiet-ish, more of a hiss than an industrial roar, and the Svea is between "quiet dishwasher" and "stove exhaust fan" on loudness, but, bear in mind, this is my Personal Loudness Scale and Registration Department rating. I'm a part-time guitar tech who has gone to practice and balanced amp volume sans earplugs, and someone who routinely works around lawn mowers and weedeaters in the summer season, so I might be a bit off in my judgement of noise levels.

How big of an issue are loud stoves at shelters? Say the Svea, for example. Would that stove be considered "too loud" by enough people to warrant banishment? It's not a big issue, because I can always bring the Whisperlite, I just don't want to be "that dillweed with the loud stove".

I've considered alcohol stoves, but they don't quite work for me, because I'm lazy.
    I always considered alcohol stoves to BE a lazy man's stove. That's why I have one. Pour in alcohol and light...doesn't seem to get any easier for me. Completely silent.

I'm currently using an Emberlit wood stove for other reasons...not so much a lazy man's stove, although it does meet you quiet criteria.

[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1226087]If you do get a white gas stove, be sure to learn how to use it, they do take some practice. They also take a lot more work then an alcohol stove, as you need to almost constantly fiddle with them and keep a close eye on them or you'll burn your meal real quick.QUOTE] I have to diasagree. With a little practice, the fiddle factor, on a SVEA at least, is trivial. If a klutz like me can use one successfully for 40+ years how hard can it be? Never burned a meal, not even lentils.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    The only time you have to worry about being noisy at the shelters is during quiet hour 2am to 4am.
    I know it was a joke, but sure enough, a thru-hiker did try to light a stove in a packed shelter at this precise time in the Smokies this year. He was not particularly well-regarded already by other hikers, and this was one of the stories that got passed up and down the trail about him. But since the OP and about 99.9% of other hikers doubtless have more consideration than this putz did, I've never witnessed stove noise being a problem.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

More bothersome than noise, but more visually exciting is the "over prime" and 2ft flames erupting when a fellow shelter mate allows too much fuel into a liquid fuel stove on start up. Practice your stove technique.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

I have to say that stove noise is the main reason I went with my alcohol stove over my pocket rocket on my thru-hike. I don't mind stove noise when I am at a shelter, but when stealthing, especially at a vista or especially isolated place the sound of pressurized gas being released kind of ruins the solitude for me. But if you're not likely to get to shelters late or leave shelters early than the noise of your stove doesn't really matter too much.
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

I really wouldn't worry about the stove noise that much because they are lit for short periods...OTOH....I would worry about your new trail name...Dillweed! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Will Thornton View Post

Alcohol stoves are a lot easier to use than white gas or even canister stoves. Pour an ounce or two of fuel, light, boil. Obviously Whisperlites are loud in comparison, and once shut off you realize just how loud they are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++