Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default No Period for Five Months!

Hey guys, so I've seen a lot of people asking questions about what to do when you start your period on the trail, and I thought I'd share what I've discussed with my doctor.
    I'm currently on birth control and I'm now switching to Lybrel. Its a birth control pill that doesn't take sugar pill breaks for scheduled periods, thus eliminating periods entirely. Apparently you don't have to have periods, they're just used to let you know you're not pregnant, and if you use the pill properly you won't have to worry about that. Apparently Lybrel is the only one with no periods but there are others with less periods.
    check out this website
    http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...-control-pills

But when I talked to my doctor about it, she said you can do this with any pill. Simply throw out the sugar pills and continue taking your next months birth control. I switched because it's easier to keep it scheduled instead of switching between packs, but you can do it either way.
    Obviously you should talk to your doctor and see what they say before you do this.
    I'm looking forward to not having a period on my thru!

Images

I have heard that it is perfectly healthy to cut down to 3 periods/year. I do wonder though... I would definitely do the same thing for a long distance anything.

i can't imagine rearranging your body's natural schedule is healthy for you. doctors make money by selling you pills. hell, they don't care, it's not their body. why can't people just be happy with themselves the way they were made? this is ridiculous.

Birth control in general is rearranging your body's natural schedule. And millions of Americans do it all the time without problems, this is just cutting out periods altogether. And I've known my doctor for many years and she's not trying to make money by selling my pills.

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...ol-pill?page=2
    Read the section on Eliminating Menstrual Cycles
    "Goldstein tells WebMD that the monthly bleeding that occurs during pill use is unnecessary, so avoiding it -- the way you can with Lybrel -- should have no impact on health"
    Basically Lybrel is just a birth control pill without the sugar pills that allow you to have a period. There's no reason your body needs to have a period, its only there to let you know you're not pregnant. Well hey, i'm on the pill and if I use it properly and be safe then I won't get pregnant. So I don't need a period. And you have to admit, it'd be awesome to not deal with all the cramps and the PMS and the bleeding if you don't have to.

I'm on the pill that reduces your periods to 4 times a year. In all, I end up having 6 a year because after 2 months without one I start to get breakthrough bleeding. Having a period at that point makes the breakthrough bleeding stop. So listening to my body, personally, going without periods entirely probably wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i can't imagine rearranging your body's natural schedule is healthy for you. doctors make money by selling you pills. hell, they don't care, it's not their body. why can't people just be happy with themselves the way they were made? this is ridiculous.
    being a male, you probably ask yourself..."why is he even looing a this thread?" but i like medical and health stuff so here i am. haha

anyway, not attacking you or anything but i would compare cutting out your menstrual cycles completely to elliminating your tonsils or appendix. yes nature gave them to us, but no we dont actually need them. maybe our bodies just havent evolved to the point of elliminating this stuff itself yet. my 0.02
    i say if a woman can cut that out, more power to ya. but be warned ladies, once you get rid of that, there are no "that time of the month" excuses!!
    Planning an April 2012 AT Thru for my 26th BDay!!!! Be patient with me!

Laziness is Creativity's evil brother. -Me

Well...we can still get headaches. Just sayin'
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    Well...we can still get headaches. Just sayin'
    Touch`e. hah

Quote Originally Posted by orions_knight View Post
    being a male, you probably ask yourself..."why is he even looing a this thread?" but i like medical and health stuff so here i am. haha

anyway, not attacking you or anything but i would compare cutting out your menstrual cycles completely to elliminating your tonsils or appendix. yes nature gave them to us, but no we dont actually need them. maybe our bodies just havent evolved to the point of elliminating this stuff itself yet. my 0.02
    i say if a woman can cut that out, more power to ya. but be warned ladies, once you get rid of that, there are no "that time of the month" excuses!!
    are you ****ing serious? if we evolve to the point that we don't need them, then we'll die out brainiac.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I absolutely agree with this. The idea of taking pills just so you don't get your period is crazy stuff, imo. If you can't handle a period how are you gonna handle the pain and inconvenience the trail will dish out wholeheartedly? There are times you do go on so you don't get pregnant - but unless boyfriend or hubby is coming along, or you need it to manage a disease like endometriosis, it should not be done.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orions_knight View Post

This is totally and completely ridiculous. A woman's reproductive system is not a tonsil or appendix. It is a complicated process of many hormones acting in sinc to make this function happen and so the human race goes on (ie babies).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

maybe one day we will evolve enough that 100% of men will have both a dick and a brain.

Journal Entries

Some athletic women who engage in a lot of excercise, like competitive sports, and/or have lower than avg bodyfat levels, quite getting periods anyway. Hiking long distance just might cause that anyway in some.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I absolutely agree with this. The idea of taking pills just so you don't get your period is crazy stuff, imo. If you can't handle a period how are you gonna handle the pain and inconvenience the trail will dish out wholeheartedly? There are times you do go on so you don't get pregnant - but unless boyfriend or hubby is coming along, or you need it to manage a disease like endometriosis, it should not be done.
    Everyone has a different body, and the range of pain and other effects from menstrual cycles has HUGE variation from woman to woman. Some of you are lucky enough that you don't get much pain from them. Some of you have had children and know first hand that cramps are just the warm up. I personally am not and have not.

I have broken bones, gotten stitches, had surgery, and a variety of other unpleasant pain inducing conditions. The most pain I have ever experienced in my life still has come from my menstrual cycle. This pain has been considerably reduced in both severity and frequency from taking "the pill."

I am perfectly comfortable "messing with my body" to reduce the crippling effects I've experienced in the past.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    I am perfectly comfortable "messing with my body" to reduce the crippling effects I've experienced in the past.
    Agreed.

If you were bleeding profusely from a gaping wound elsewhere, people would tell you to immediately get off the trail and seek medical attention. Since I would technically be bleeding profusely from a gaping orfice without birth control, I think I'll try to minimize it as much as possible.

Honestly though, it's personal preference. Each body is different, and if you can handle not being on BC, then great. More power to you. But for me, I'll stick to what my body has determined it needs. And I have no judgement for people who do otherwise. My body is nobody's body but mine.

My gynocologist said that for most women having a monthly period isn't necessary and continuing to take the pill to achieve that is okay. He also said that most women today have had more periods by the time they are 25 than many of our grandmothers or greatgrandmothers had in their lifetimes. They started when they were older, didn't have the pill so they got pregnant more often, and they didn't have a period while they breastfed-often for a year or more. Hormones in the foods we eat today coupled with higher body fat percentages are causing girls to start when they are much younger that they did 100 years ago.

I always imagined that Mother Nature had only a set number of "gifts" that she could give out each month. Eventually Mother Nature has to stop giving a gift to an older woman so she can give it to a younger one.

Next week, as I do every year, I will blow out my birthday candles and wish that Mother Nature will give my monthly gift to someone else.

I had my tubes tied 17 years ago after my youngest was born. I thought not having to worry about the pill or getting pregnant again was liberating. I can't wait to be liberated again...
    Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

are you ****ing serious? if we evolve to the point that we don't need them, then we'll die out brainiac.
    wow uncalled for. we'll die out? care to explain that one? if women are already getting rid of them before our bodies have evolved to do it on its own, and people arent dying as a direct result, then your assinine and unneccesary argument is inherently flawed. a couple people already commented on their doctors opinions of the danger of doing this.
    my guess is i mentioned evolution and youre some religion that just gets pissed when you see someone mention evolution. just my guess. either way, dont be a dick. just answer questions appropriately and dont bring drama into posts. it clutters up the flow of information and defeats the purpose of even being here.

Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

And dont forget balls...I agree...i dont get the pills either...
    Ann

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++