WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Sheltowee Trace National Recreational Trail

The Sheltowee Trace Association is leading a monthly section hike of the Trace starting January 6,7,8 2012. Hikers, spending one weekend a month will at the end of the year have section hiked the entire 282 miles of the Trace. The first section in January will begin at the Southern Terminus at Picekett State Park and end about 30 miles later near Stearns Kentucky. If you are thinking of taking on the A.T. in the next few years the Sheltowee Trace is a great trail to test your mettle and desire to be in the backcountry. For more info you can respond here or visit www.sheltoweetrace.org or our Facebook page.

traildust
    [email protected]
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

that certainly is tempting. i wish it wasnt so far away from my house though. thus, i probably will not be able to do it much, but would love to come at least one time if i can. any thoughts on switching trails ?

doing the math, 12 x 30 = 360. i guess you'll plan on average much less than the 30 miles the Jan trip is undergoing? or are you making sure the average is high in the case you miss a month or two?

i assume there are shuttle arrangements for each trip since this is a linear trail? are there any fees associated with these trips?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'd love to tackle this but I play softball the 1st weekened of each Month and I live in Fl.

Images

I've hiked the Sheltowee Trace from Highway 80, north of Corbin to the southern terminus at Pickett State Park. Several sections more than once. Generally a really nice trail. If I lived closer, I may be joining you.

Images

Im thinking about hiking the Sheltowee Trace in sections. Any good guide books out there that are up to date?

Images

Yes, The Shelttowee Trace Association sells a trailguide on the website, click trading post. Free shipping to members. $15.00. Written by Taba, Scot Ward.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
    Im thinking about hiking the Sheltowee Trace in sections. Any good guide books out there that are up to date?
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

yes we are shuttling folks with vehicles at end point. yep we are planning on cutting miles if we get ahead and maybe having a few makeup hikes in the summer for those who missed a section.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    that certainly is tempting. i wish it wasnt so far away from my house though. thus, i probably will not be able to do it much, but would love to come at least one time if i can. any thoughts on switching trails ?

doing the math, 12 x 30 = 360. i guess you'll plan on average much less than the 30 miles the Jan trip is undergoing? or are you making sure the average is high in the case you miss a month or two?

i assume there are shuttle arrangements for each trip since this is a linear trail? are there any fees associated with these trips?

Images

I found out about the trail when I went to order Taba's MST guide. Looks like a great hike. Starting to think about doing a thru on it this spring.

Images

STA and ALDHA member, Judy Young, is considering hiking the STA this next year, probably in sections. She can't start until March. She plans to hike the last week-end of each month Mar-Oct. The 8 sections will be about 40 miles or less, but will probaly take more than a week-end. If you might be interested in going along with Judy and it fits your schedule let us know or let her know. She is on her as xxxxxxxx can't remember. Gray lady maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    STA and ALDHA member, Judy Young, is considering hiking the STA this next year, probably in sections. She can't start until March. She plans to hike the last week-end of each month Mar-Oct. The 8 sections will be about 40 miles or less, but will probaly take more than a week-end. If you might be interested in going along with Judy and it fits your schedule let us know or let her know. She is on her as xxxxxxxx can't remember. Gray lady maybe.
    Her trail name is Gray Jay. Many of you may know her as having recently served on the ALDHA Board. I'm not sure whether she's on WB or not.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 12-13-2011 at 13:41.

I have made contact and plan to drive from Florida to Ky for the Feb hike, when it is set up . Is there anyone from Florida, GA, that would like to ride up with me and hike? I live in Central Fl.

Can anyone provide a brief overview (terrain, distances between resupply, etc.) of this trail? Currently, I am a school teacher plus a former AT thru hiker(2010). I want to do a 4-6 week trip starting mid-May and am considering several options (Benton McKay, Springer to ?, etc.) This one is intriguing as I have hiked and overnighted in the BSF but know absolutely nothing about this one (which adds to its appeal somewhat). Thanks in advance (and apologies for any thread hijack).

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    Can anyone provide a brief overview (terrain, distances between resupply, etc.) of this trail? Currently, I am a school teacher plus a former AT thru hiker(2010). I want to do a 4-6 week trip starting mid-May and am considering several options (Benton McKay, Springer to ?, etc.) This one is intriguing as I have hiked and overnighted in the BSF but know absolutely nothing about this one (which adds to its appeal somewhat). Thanks in advance (and apologies for any thread hijack).
    It's about 290 miles - some road walking - with the southern end at the TN border (actually in TN) and the northern end north of I-64. Basically proceeds in a SW-NE axis through Daniel Boone National Forest. There are links to the Sheltowee Trace Association and to TABA's recent guidebook. Go to WB's "Other Trails" forum and use the search button (type in Sheltowee) - you'll find lots of threads with the aforementioned links. The STA link is also in TrailDust's post above - he's the STA Executive Director.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 01-05-2012 at 00:06.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    It's about 290 miles - some road walking - with the southern end at the TN border (actually in TN) and the northern end north of I-64.
    Any idea what the trail maintenance is like? That is, are the weeds cut or does one have to wade through briars and poison ivy? I definitely know not all "lesser" trails are maintained as well as the AT, and sometimes it even needs more weed whacking. A friend has asked me to tackle the Sheltowee for some section hikes this year.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Any idea what the trail maintenance is like? That is, are the weeds cut or does one have to wade through briars and poison ivy? I definitely know not all "lesser" trails are maintained as well as the AT, and sometimes it even needs more weed whacking. A friend has asked me to tackle the Sheltowee for some section hikes this year.
    I have hiked sections of the trail and the maintenance/ blazing varies greatly. Most of my experience was 7-8 years ago when the southern pine beetle killed so many beautiful pines.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

Can't provide a lot of detail. It's certainly not up to AT standards. I participated in a few work 2011 trips where we weed-wacked and cut blowdowns. Some parts are more suceptible to overgrowth than others with the worst in my experience being greenbriar. Work parties go out 1-2 times a month especially in the Spring & Fall. I will say my experience shows the Sheltowee in better shape than its West Virginia counterpart, the Allegheny Trail.

If you're concerned about overgrown trails, try hiking the trace in the spring. The trail maintenance depends a lot on the forest service region; there were very noticeable differences when I hiked. However, but leaving late enough that a serious snowfall is an issue but early enough that overgrowth isn't a problem you should have few issues.

I hiked late enough that I only had flurries one day and while one ford was memorably cold (and deep- it was on a high-clearance road), overgrowth was not an issue. It's much easier to navigate in the spring, so I would simply plan for that if you're concerned. You'll also find water isn't as much of a problem. However, as with any trail, each season will bring it's own set of issues. In the spring you can also add the risk of fire- do be careful about where you light your stove. I recall cooking in the middle of a (gated) gravel road once. I only had one fire issue though, and thanksfully we were able to out-hike the smoke fairly quickly. Just make sure you're not the one to start one, as wind will dry leaves very quickly.

As a bonus, the views are also much better in the spring or winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    ...As a bonus, the views are also much better in the spring or winter.
    I'm glad you brought that up. What I like more than anything else hiking the Sheltowee and other KY trails is the rock formations - huge overhangs, arches, natural bridges. All of these are much more visible when the leaves are off the trees.

Images

To answer the trail maintenance issue - The STA and our volunteers have a year round program to keep the trail open. We just did the first section hike of the annual Hiker Challenge starting in Tn and ending 28 miles later south of U.S. 27 in Ky. The trail in Pickett is in great shape. Need to watch the signs and blazes - the "drop off" trail sign, which is the current route down to Rock Creek is in need of some work after a serious forest fire in the area but is passable. Best to do this in daylight since the name drop-off best describes the edge you walk. Once on the forest floor you will walk on an old railbed for a few miles then hug Rock Creek - sometimes within a few feet and other times climbing up a couple hundred yards along the hillside. Plenty of water in the south. Be advised, Rock Creek can run less than a foot or over 10 feet so watch the weather in southern Ky near Oneida Tn a least a week before you go. You will get your feet wet crossing Rock Creek so be prepared. Once you get out of Marks Branch Falls area you hit a nice stretch along a forest road on the ridge where you have cell service and there is great camping at the Peters Mtn trailhead. Then it is back down to Rock Creek and across the Yamacraw bridge and north crossing RC again and again. Trail conditions in BSF on the Trace are excellent and will be until summer. The Park Service keeps all the trails in BSF in excellent shape with a large volunteer base of horseback riders and bikers. When you cross into the Daniel Boone, the trail from BSF to Laurel Dam is in excellent shape now but tends to get flooded if there are significant rains which forces the Cumberland River up onto the banks and sometimes places debris on the trail. We tend to have more weed and briar issues North of I-75 than we do south of I-75 because the terrain changes and the vegetation changes. By Spring we will have had our volunteers out checking the entire trail for conditions and posting the annual spring trail report in May on our website www.sheltoweetrace.org. If we can help anyone with plans to come hike in Ky please let us know.

Images

The February Hiker Challenge dates are Feb 24, 25, 26. Because of the limited amount of daylight and potential for severe weather, we will most likely not hike on Friday but use the evening to get to the trail or the local outfitters and stay indoors. The plan is for a 20 mile hike total on Saturday and Sunday.

Planned dates - Subject to change are;

March 16, 17, 18 for the March section hike. This is the weekend after the time change so we would have at least an hour more daylight.

April 20, 21, 22.

May still in the air but it is either the weekend before Memorial Day or Memorial Day weekend, May 25, 26, 27, 28.

June 22, 23, 24

We welcome all hikers who want to knock off a section of Ky's Long Trail. To get on the list, send email to [email protected]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++