WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Default Family seeing me off at Springer

I have never been to Springer, so I have difficulty in deciding how best to get my family to the terminus to see me off. Can non-hikers reach the terminus by car or is the only way the approach trail? I know there is a Forest Service road 1.2 miles up trail. Is that a road my girlfriend could safely drive back on by herself? Advice from those who have been there is greatly appreciated.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

there's a parking lot/road crossing .9 from springer mtn. easy drive. she'll have no problem

The service forest road is about 9/10 of a mile. It's a pretty good gravel/dirt road - but it is fairly long and winds around a lot. If the weather is good and there has not been much rain - should be OK. Otherwise - get Josh from the Hiker Hosterl in Dahlonega to shuttle you all up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's a parking lot/road crossing .9 from springer mtn. easy drive. she'll have no problem ...
    ... unless it has snowed or rained a lot recently - generally there is no problem getting up there but seems to me that last year (or maybe the year before) the road up was pretty much 4 wheel drive only

Images

Lone Wolf - please clarify: is that parking lot/road crossing the Forest Service road up the trail? Or is it before the terminus in the park?

I agree that she shouldn't have a problem. My wife dropped me there last Spring and it was not too bad. A bit narrow in several locations and some pretty decent size ruts and rocks, but we went up in a Prius with no problem. Just go slow and be smart in the curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Six View Post
    Lone Wolf - please clarify: is that parking lot/road crossing the Forest Service road up the trail? Or is it before the terminus in the park?
    it is FS 42 just north of springer

Images

Thanks all. That helps.

Journal Entries
    Images

FS 42 is a dirt road approx 6.5 mi long. Usually it is passable by cars.

From the parking lot, you hike SouthBound on the AT for .9 mi. Sign the register, take a photo, etc, turn around and then head NorthBound back to the same parking lot (and then continue North).

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    observations

Quote Originally Posted by One-8T View Post
    ...we went up in a Prius with no problem. Just go slow and be smart in the curves.
    Took my Prius there as well.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

They had a grader on that road a few weeks backs so it may be in better shape now than in the past.

Images

I would say goodbye to family at amacola visitor center by the arch. It is a better place for pictures and easier to get to.

Images

That road a few weeks ago was horrible. Horrible. Wet and bumpy. We had the gas pedal on the floor a lot spinning our tires and BARELY moving. I think it all depends on the weather. Dry, it would have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I would say goodbye to family at amacola visitor center by the arch. It is a better place for pictures and easier to get to.
    Good advice here by Jersey Joe. Otherwise, rent a full size 4x4 to get the family up the forest service road and back so as to not wind up stuck in a mussy mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Plus the Approach Trail is nearly equal to the toughest climbs in the rest of Ga. so you'll know if you can handle the state before you get to the Springer Mt. shelter.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeGrice View Post
    That road a few weeks ago was horrible. Horrible. Wet and bumpy. We had the gas pedal on the floor a lot spinning our tires and BARELY moving. I think it all depends on the weather. Dry, it would have been fine.
    Flooring the gas is a good way to keep the tires spinning - just stating the obvious, I guess - but I drive a standard, so what do I know............

It's likely that the tires weren't up to the job.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeGrice View Post
    That was a unusual situation. The FS had just started their annual maintenance of the road and then it started to rain. The rain turned the torn up road bed into a mess. The road can be driven by any vehicle 99% of the time. The 1% would be if the road is hit by an ice storm. Then virtually nothing is gonna be safe to drive on it.

Images

If your tires are spinning, back off on the gas....just saying...
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Don't get so wrapped up in saying your goodbyes that you forget to sign the register hidden in the rock underneath the terminus sign.

Cheers!

Images

It's all personal opinion, of course, but I would rather have my family send me off from the top of Springer. The short hike from the parking lot to the terminus is pretty easy, but would give them a sample of the trail you will be walking. Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy yourself.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++