WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

As a fellow floridian I feel your pain about nowhere really to train. I'm heading off from Springer somewhere between mid March and April 1... I'm a good 6'4'' 275 and built like an ox.. since south florida is lacking in hills, i've been hiking with a 20lb pack 2-4hrs on my days off up and down this landfill that has been turned into a park.. if the incline is hurting too much, i just take the trail around it with a more 'user friendly' grade to it... i'm sure they have similar parks in tampa...

the only thing im really worried about is finding a sleeping bag big enough that doesnt way 4-7lbs

Waist line measurement is a real eye-opener for me. It's been as high as 46". Now it is 42". It should be like 36". I'm 6' tall. Percentage body fat is another one. My lean body mass is 150. At 225 I was 1/3 fat. That is scary. I am now 210 and still have about 45 pounds of excess fat. That is about 160,000 calories. That's going to take alot of work. I suppose I could think of it as money in the bank. What's 45 pounds of butter worth? At least there is one aspect of my life where I am not in debt. lol

Journal Entries

In answer to your question Nomaderwhat, I went down the keys to fish for a couple of weeks and rest my knees and my wife saw a big bullseye on my lower back - otherwise I would never have known until it got much worse.
    This time I will use lots of "Deet" and be more careful...
    Don't let the fear of Lyme Disease stop you, you can die crossing the street as they say...

Images

I am going to take a different position here. Start working your muscles harder - Especially lower body. While walking is good, you need to also build a little mass on your lower extremities (I am not speaking of bulking up, but just working/stressing them in ways walking won't).

Start doing lunges as you are walking, that will get your heart rate up and build some upper leg muscle. also start walking up and down stairs or lighthouses, grassy sides of interstate ramps, etc... Do heel raises, walk on the sand (or jog). All of this will stress your system and get your HR a bit more than just walking. As you build some muscle mass (and the lower body has the most) you will burn more calories at rest.
    Start jumping rope or doing some squat thrusts - all of these will help you with a calorie burn. you also need to stretch out well. I think stretching is the most under-rated part of an exercise. hold and steady, not bounding and jerking.
    If you are hitting the gym, cut back on rests between sets. If you are on ellipticals, start doing cycles. I see more folks on ellipticals not pushing themselves, but just pedaling at a comfortable rate.
    All of these will help - I think much more than walking on a flat surface... In addition, bicycling is another great way to increase your endurance and cut down on your weight (also helps you with your balance)
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

@Tinker: Wow, you've got 30 years on me, and you're in better health than I am! I'm on Lisinopril and atenolol for BP, and allopurinol for gout. I probably have a fatty liver too. Heck, lets throw in some other ailments... I imagine there aren't many better forms of exercise than hiking 12 miles a day!?!

@Stonedflea: I'm selling a car that's pretty good on gas, but I'm sure I won't get anywhere near what I'm asking. I'm gonna be tight on funds, but if I run out of money from having too much fun in town, then I'll just stop hiking. I'm not a purist I suppose.

@Corialice: 50lbs aye? What was your starting weight?
    “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.” -Robert Louis Stevenson

My lazy ass always comes up with an excuse not to push my exercise routine to the next level. In my head I say "well if I'm gonna be hiking 2000+ miles, then why the hell would I want to kill myself with special workouts for 4 months beforehand!". Which is of course a terrible way to look at things. I think that once I commit to hiking this year (I'll be making my decision after Christmas), I will be much more inclined to do the things necessary for a successful hike.
    “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.” -Robert Louis Stevenson

Nomaderwhat: "@Tinker: Wow, you've got 30 years on me, and you're in better health than I am! I'm on Lisinopril and atenolol for BP, and allopurinol for gout. I probably have a fatty liver too. Heck, lets throw in some other ailments... I imagine there aren't many better forms of exercise than hiking 12 miles a day!?!"

Your comment is a good one and valid for someone who should start off slowly, being in relatively poor health. Talk to your doctor. He may say that it isn't a good time to attempt something as strenuous as the AT. I would suggest starting at Forest Service Rd. 42, hiking the short distance south to Springer instead of taking the Approach Trail. The approach trail is a bear. I did it in 2006 and probably will never do it again (unless I'm southbound - it would be downhill then).

Here's the hard part: To stay alive tomorrow you'll have to take it relatively easy (compared to someone in better health).
    To stay alive for the next few decades, you'll have to take it a little less easy (or easily, actually) tomorrow, the next day, and the next day, etc. etc. than you did today..........AND eat a little better, a little less, and a little less often, too.
    I can vouch for it being hard.

I hope the scale backs me up on this, too. It doesn't lie.

May God bless your efforts
    Last edited by Tinker; 12-05-2011 at 23:59.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Nomaderwhat View Post
    My lazy ass always comes up with an excuse not to push my exercise routine to the next level. In my head I say "well if I'm gonna be hiking 2000+ miles, then why the hell would I want to kill myself with special workouts for 4 months beforehand!". Which is of course a terrible way to look at things. I think that once I commit to hiking this year (I'll be making my decision after Christmas), I will be much more inclined to do the things necessary for a successful hike.
    I for one don't believe anybody has to exercise themselves into exhaustion to prepare to hike the A.T., let alone do that for 4 months before departure. But it is important to make an effort to get some hiking with a pack in, and the more the better. If a person has real bad health conditions/considerations, then this is something that needs to be honestly evaluated (best by actual medical professionals) beforehand by the person who wants to attempt a hike of this magnitude. If a person with health conditions just decides to go with the after thought of attempting to hike, and not really caring wether or not they are just out for a few days or weeks or whatever, well that is a lot different than somebody who is determined to go the distance while all the while their body is screaming no way. The results of that scenario could be dangerous. I was reading an article found here the other day on Whiteblaze, which is very good and was written for other potential thru hikers to benefit from. It is about the benefits of physically preparing for an A.T. hike, and why arriving in good hiking shape to begin one's thru-hike is a wise move, as the beginning of the hike is where being in good shape really matter's for ones enjoyment and possibly even contributes to their ultimate success:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...iking&p=184425

Hey Dapper, thanx for the input and your thoughts! I have indeed seen my doctor (in fact 2 different docs in 2 different states), and they both enthusiastically encouraged me to get my ass on the trail. The one up in PA was a hiker himself. You come across as somebody who likes to be very well prepared, and has all your physical and mental ducks in a row; I however do not. I am a mess, and I will probably end up tumbling onto the trail with a bag that's too heavy, and a bum ankle, with no hope in sight. HYOH. Not worried about anything but gettin' into those woods, and meeting some nice folks. Plus, again, my brother did a sobo thru in 2010, and I'm sure he will mentally whip my ass before I hit the trail, if I hit the trail. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomaderwhat View Post
    Hey Dapper, thanx for the input and your thoughts! I have indeed seen my doctor (in fact 2 different docs in 2 different states), and they both enthusiastically encouraged me to get my ass on the trail. The one up in PA was a hiker himself. You come across as somebody who likes to be very well prepared, and has all your physical and mental ducks in a row; I however do not. I am a mess, and I will probably end up tumbling onto the trail with a bag that's too heavy, and a bum ankle, with no hope in sight. HYOH. Not worried about anything but gettin' into those woods, and meeting some nice folks. Plus, again, my brother did a sobo thru in 2010, and I'm sure he will mentally whip my ass before I hit the trail, if I hit the trail. Cheers!
    Well thanks for the compliments, but basically I mostly just dayhike and dream of someday getting out there to attempt a thru-hike. I had wanted to attempt a thru-hike originally when I first started thinking about it back in the early 90's, but it never came to be. I had little to no money at the time, and I just put the dream aside. I did not, however, forget it, and I began to educate myself by reading all kinds of books about others that had thru hiked, about gear, etc. I eventually discovered Trailplace, and then eventually the Whiteblaze websites. I learned a bunch from both, and bought all the gear I need to do it. I wanted to go in 2009, but with family and home responsibilities, and now the crummy economy, I just was not able to. I still want to go, but I am not sure as to when that will be. Anyway, good luck with your planning, and your potential hike.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I'm a good 6'4'' 275 and built like an ox...

the only thing im really worried about is finding a sleeping bag big enough that doesnt way 4-7lbs
    At the risk of "thread drift", check out this sleeping bag. 3lb 11oz. and built for us big boys. It's discounted in the REI outlet and until Thursday there's an additional 20% discount. Free shipping, it comes to around $60:

http://www.rei.com/product/812679/al...ng-special-buy
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

I'm 5'10 on a good day. According to the height weight chart I'm supposed to be 7'9". Hiking in the mountains is the best way to lose weight. Take it slow at first. Don't hurt yourself early. You'll be fine and you will love it.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++