WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Open for inputs and ideas

I am looking for some feedback from you users here.

What would you like to see added to the web site? I am referring to something that you think you and other users would benefit from?

I am not saying that what ever is suggested will be done. I just want some feedback and if it I something feasible and not to hard to do, I will look into it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok Rick - plane and simple - everyone is doing a great job and folks that have moderator status, have a thankless job. In some ways I am glad I am out, and I still miss it.

The Crock needs to let up and stop chasing folk away... its directly hurting donations which floats the website and the business

Cant make it plainer than that. - Nothing against John - he is clearly the best man for the job... but the heavy hand needs to be adjusted.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I think a "Most Viewed Threads" section would be good, say like it would contain the most viewed thread(s) from each forum and sub-forum category.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The Crock needs to let up and stop chasing folk away... its directly hurting donations which floats the website and the business...
    Nothing against John - he is clearly the best man for the job... but the heavy hand needs to be adjusted.
    He's not the only one who takes a very heavy handed approach to tougue-in-cheek comments. Most the stuff I see is borderline at worst. I'd rather see a shot over the bow before stuff gets shut down.

As for the site... I'm still getting used to the new format. Going between here and HF, I'm reminded of how simple HF seems in comparison. If its a software issue, then so be it. Might have to have less on the home page in order to bring back some some visual simplicity. Always loved the pics before, glad they're back.
    Last edited by scope; 12-02-2011 at 21:26.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

I was not referring to the moderators and the admin staff when I asked this question. I was referring to the software end of things.
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I think a "Most Viewed Threads" section would be good, say like it would contain the most viewed thread(s) from each forum and sub-forum category.
    I like this idea. The problem I foresee is that some threads that have a lot of views may not be quality threads.
    Let me show you what I mean. I have added this option to the front page for a short period of time. It is listed under the Recent Threads on the right hand side. As you can see, there are some threads that are just not very useful. I also tried doing it with the threads with the most replies and the same problem arose.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

I'd like it if the <New Posts ---> Unanswered Threads> bar was visible all the time. It occasionally switches to the other bar while I'm within the forum, and I accidentally click on the blogs because it's in the same place as the Quick Links menu that I really want to click on. That's actually interesting because I've learned that the blogs are a stomping ground for spammers. You might want to work on that too. One issue I've had with other forums is that reporting spam counts as posting, so multiple reports can't be filed quickly, which discourages reporting spam.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I'd like it if the <New Posts ---> Unanswered Threads> bar was visible all the time. It occasionally switches to the other bar while I'm within the forum, and I accidentally click on the blogs because it's in the same place as the Quick Links menu that I really want to click on. That's actually interesting because I've learned that the blogs are a stomping ground for spammers. You might want to work on that too. One issue I've had with other forums is that reporting spam counts as posting, so multiple reports can't be filed quickly, which discourages reporting spam.
    Leaftye

The Unanswered Threads is listed in the secondary navbar to the far right when you are within the forums only from what I see.

There is an update to this that I have not installed yet. I believe it puts it in front of the New Posts to the far right in the secondary navbar now and gives you more options to chose from.

I have included the screen shot of the new location and the new options. Do you think this would be a nice improvement?

I am also aware of the spam problem in the blogs and have been deleting the spam as it gets reported. I have a solution that I have been working on. I am tweaking it now hoping will prevent spam in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Thanks attroll. I should have been more clear. The menu I don't care for is:

< New Posts | New Group Messages | New Events | New Articles | New Blog Entries | Mark Forums Read >

It appears after clicking "New Posts". It feels out of place.

The new menu you posted looks like it might be useful.

Journal Entries

Mobile app

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Mobile app
    There is a mobile app already. What are you using for a phone?
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

I just created a mobile app for the Android. It is now available in the Android Market. To find it do a search for "WhiteBlaze".

I have also created an app for the iPhone. The iPhone store wants to charge $99 a year to host the app in there store. I currently it in a zip file on my computer. Are there any iPhone users that know how to install this on the iPhone manually? If so I can include the app here for downloading if I can get someone to draft up some instructions for iPhone users that want to manually install it on there phones.
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Always wished there was a forum catagory (or Gallery) for hiker to post their trail videos. Members could also post interesting YouTube AT videos and the like.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Default Thank you for new app

Just installed new android app. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the work you put into this. I have a question about finding recent posts. Is there a recent posts function? Any plans to add the gallery?

Thanks
    Robert

I see that the recent posts are building on the mobile app home page as posts are added .

This is just brainstorming. I don't necessarily like these ideas.

1. Hiking specific calculators, like for calculating calories per day, or miles per pound of food.
    2. Something where key words, like fontana dam, can be a hot like to a map.
    3. A map app where you can see links to forum threads, sort of the reverse of 2 above.
    4. A map app that shows resupply points, and distances off the trail of these resupply points.
    5. A map app that allows you to calculate food requirements between two resupply points, based on mileage, elevation gain, total weight on feet, whatever else, trail conditions maybe.

Love this forum by the way, as it is. Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I was not referring to the moderators and the admin staff when I asked this question. I was referring to the software end of things.
    Then you've missed the whole point of having the site, software, etc. At the end of the day software and crappola is just that, crappola. What happens on the site is what makes it interesting or boring as hell.

Just sayin'.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    My understanding is that you are leasing the software and that costs $$$ and you have a clear help area blog. The current upgrade in my opinion is solid both on a laptop and Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Mobile app
    ??? Good Androids work very well without an app. Even Iphone does not need a seperate app - acording to my manager - you can blog by talking into the voice recognition.... if not now very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Then you've missed the whole point of having the site, software, etc. At the end of the day software and crappola is just that, crappola. What happens on the site is what makes it interesting or boring as hell.

Just sayin'.
    Somehow this is what I should have said, my educated guess is that donations are down and you are blaming the economy. Your original post was wide open - in fact that really surprised me.

There is nothing wrong with the software.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

It would be interesting to know the number of "former" donators.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

I'm gonna vote "boring," but the software and stuff is neato!!!
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++