WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: go pee

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

keeping it in does compromise warmth despite what previous posters say - get your ar$se up out of the sack and go out and poke a yellow hole in the snow - seriously - you'll get back in the sack organized and sleep great
    Totally agree, for me it doesn't matter if it's a physiological reaction to heat loss, or just all in my head. Either way getting up and going to pee helps me get back to sleep. As an added plus, after getting up and going to pee outside, getting back into a sleeping bag always feels great and makes me feel relatively warmer than I was before (again all in my head, but that's how I feel).

-- by the way, I've posted this many times before but, for great warmth below about 20 deg, I love to sleep with a hot water bottle - after dinner, boil your cook pot full and fill your nalgene -- don't cross-thread and seal tight - sleep with it in your crotch (or on your belly) - you will sleep great and have a bottle of water to drink (or make coffee with) in the morning.
    [/QUOTE]

Even though every experienced climber and winter backpacker I know swears by this method, I've never had the nerve to try it out due to my of spilling water in my sleeping bag. This winter I'm probably going to bite the bullet and give it a try, though I might add a couple of oatmeal packets to the water to minimize the possibility of leaking.

Any tips for not screwing this up?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

instead of Oatmeal - try a chem spill kit... soaks it right up - aww this is silly...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    instead of Oatmeal - try a chem spill kit... soaks it right up - aww this is silly...
    But oatmeal is tasty and I could insert a joke about breakfast in bed...

Images

When Im home I never wake up to go pee. When Im camping I wake up several times to pee. What is up with that??

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    When Im home I never wake up to go pee. When Im camping I wake up several times to pee. What is up with that??
    There's some really long answer that psychologists could explain for that question. Basically there's a theory that we never sleep very well the first time we're in a new place and it's true of most animals. It's not so much that you have to go to the bathroom as it is that you're not in a very deep sleep and minor things can wake you up more easily. Call it the "I'm not familiar with where I am and my subconscious is worried that I'm going to get eaten by wolves." theory...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    There's some really long answer that psychologists could explain for that question. Basically there's a theory that we never sleep very well the first time we're in a new place and it's true of most animals. It's not so much that you have to go to the bathroom as it is that you're not in a very deep sleep and minor things can wake you up more easily. Call it the "I'm not familiar with where I am and my subconscious is worried that I'm going to get eaten by wolves." theory...
    Works for me!!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

What about when you unzip your tent, headlamp on. Stick your head out and see two red eyes staring back at you. Do you still go pee? I sure as heck didn't. Backed into my tent curled up and went back to sleep

Journal Entries
    Images

my - there not enough time left in my life for this thread, what a pisser.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The new product "NEVER WET" surely has a place somewhere in this thread!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Default Go Pee

Here's a neat trick I learned awhile back. It's cold as heck, ya gotta go pee, really bad. In fact, you've had to pee for the past couple of hours but you keep fighting the urge because your sleeping bag is so warm. Every time you doze off you jerk awake just before the first spurt. Well here is the solution... get out that toasty warm bag, slip on your headlamp, go out into the cold and pee on your hands. That's right! Pee on your hands that 98.6 degree urine will warm them right up. In fact if your feet are cold you can pee on them too just remember to kick off your shoes and socks. This method works and your reusing a natural resource You might have to become a solo hiker but it's a lot easier than trying to aim into a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hancock View Post
    Here's a neat trick I learned awhile back. It's cold as heck, ya gotta go pee, really bad. In fact, you've had to pee for the past couple of hours but you keep fighting the urge because your sleeping bag is so warm. Every time you doze off you jerk awake just before the first spurt. Well here is the solution... get out that toasty warm bag, slip on your headlamp, go out into the cold and pee on your hands. That's right! Pee on your hands that 98.6 degree urine will warm them right up. In fact if your feet are cold you can pee on them too just remember to kick off your shoes and socks. This method works and your reusing a natural resource You might have to become a solo hiker but it's a lot easier than trying to aim into a bottle!
    How long ago did you learn this trick and were you in a Wendy's in Ocala a couple of weeks ago? Does pee really kill foot funguses?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Never been to Florida, never had a foot fungus. Heck, come to think of it I've never peed on my hand in a Wendy's! Darn, I need to get out more often!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    What about when you unzip your tent, headlamp on. Stick your head out and see two red eyes staring back at you. Do you still go pee? ...
    THAT'S usually about the time that I pee on whatever it is that I happen to be sitting on! But this might hijack this thread onto a discussion of the proper way to clean a sleeping bag....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

What about when you unzip your tent, headlamp on. Stick your head out and see two red eyes staring back at you. Do you still go pee? I sure as heck didn't. Backed into my tent curled up and went back to sleep
    Out west, I used to pee around my tent before I went to bed to mark my territory. One morning I woke to see a Grizz lumbering away, so it must have worked...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Sure. Gotta go and not gonna sleep right off anyway. Dang werewolves.

You can dress this thread up all you want to in arguments about thermodynamics an physiology but be honest - it's really just a thread about how to justify procrastination!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    You can dress this thread up all you want to in arguments about thermodynamics an physiology but be honest - it's really just a thread about how to justify procrastination!
    You know, I was thinking of saying the exact same thing back on page one... I just now got around to it.

Images

never thought id see a pissing match on WB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the body does have to wrok harder to maintain core temerature when it has an extra liter of fluid .
    empty gatorade bottle works .
    Ditto empty gatorade bottle.

A liter of pee? Who are you: super-bladder-man?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hancock View Post
    That Gatorade bottle full of pee will be nice and warm. You can warm your hands up on that without getting them wet. I too can produce close to a liter overnight. Get's a little scary when you get so close to the top of the bottle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++