WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: go pee

If you were in a true survival situation, like a grossly inadequate sleeping bag, or out of food and conserving energy as much as possible, I think the thing to do would be to carefully pee into your nalgene bottle or whatever and keep it in your sleeping bag with you. Better than wetting yourself, or getting a poor sleep. If not surviving, I think it is better to get up and do it outside, no matter how cold or wet it is. It's good for you, and it gives you a chance to see what it is like outside. Don't step off the side of a mountain or something like that though. It happens. Know where you're going to go. Nalgene bottle or whatever can be a good routine if the situation calls for it. Keeping it in is pointless, regardless of the thermodynamics. I have a pretty good capacity, but when nature calls once, you can shrug it off, but when nature calls again, its time to get up and dance.

Holy crap this went into 5 pages. Just go pee people! getting warm again is what the sleeping bags for. Jeez!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    but that was what was confusing to me, because heat escapes the human body through perspiration and aspiration, unlike the nalgene mentioned above, i didnt believe the body could be treated from the same thermodynamic viewpoint as , say a rock, or a pot of water.amanita gave me the best explanation ye..... uhoh, gotta go.....
    You're right about those methods causing heat to leave the body, but that isn't the case for urine until you pee.

Images

The pee thread was fun til it got scientific. Boring people ruin everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Runsalone View Post
    Holy crap this went into 5 pages. Just go pee people! getting warm again is what the sleeping bags for. Jeez!
    No, you are confused... this thread is about going pee. If you want to discuss the thermal dynamics of #2 you will simply have to start another thread....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    No, you are confused... this thread is about going pee. If you want to discuss the thermal dynamics of #2 you will simply have to start another thread....
    dang .... you stole my thunder ! I got up to pee ... crap !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Just go pee and get it over with. You feel better and get some fresh air outside of your tent or shelter, plus you get to wake up all of those you chose to stay up late while you were trying to get to sleep.,

Images

I think I said it before, but this is one thing I really like about using a quilt and potty bottle. I leave the neck snap snapped so the quilt wraps around my shoulders, covers my back and legs. I'm only partially exposed to the cold, and only for as long as it takes to kneel, drain my bladder and put the cap back on the bottle. While this helps preserve warmth, the main reason I do this is to minimize the disturbance to my sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Wasn't there a 2007 thru hiker that exploded inside his tent while trying to hold in his pee? I thought I read that somewhere....
    Now waitaminute! If he was a thru hiker that exploded, exactly what part/parts of him completed the hike? Does that mean he was a thru hiker AND a section hiker in the same season?!? HYOH, but Shee*****M
    Beats the HECK outta living on a couch!

In case of emergency BREAK WIND

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    The pee thread was fun til it got scientific. Boring people ruin everything!
    boring people are an excellent frame of reference for your own exciting life.its kind of like stupid people, without them we wouldnt have geniuses!

This is one nice thing about sleeping with a body pillow, and yes I know that's not a backpacking thing, but when you get back from the cold you'll realize just how much heat that pillow has absorbed and how warm your sleeping bag will still be. The last time I was camping it was car camping so I took it with me. I sleep just fine without it. I sleep better with it, sometimes.

All that being equal though, I just get up and go do my business. The 'Caliber' of my 'Character' when it's cold outside makes getting anything inside of any bottle a statistical improbability. I'd be better off with an Astronaut diaper.

Hey, I'm a grower not a shower, nuff said.

Images

Agreed, 5 pages.........on pee-ing, must be the slow season

We're all at home vs out doing what we love..........a few pages ago I was using a pee bottle happily

Now?

When you do get up, out and go pee...............once you crawl back into your bag, turn sideways and peddle fast like a bicycle. Great way to warm back up FAST!

Journal Entries
    Images

I perfer the wide mouth gateraide bottles 20oz. The risk is confusing it with the lemonade in the early moring.

Images

Can't believe I'm the first hammocker to reply, but on a cold rainy night a HH bottom opening hammock... pee AND stay warm & dry!
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++