WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Tiberious View Post
    Was 290 now 285. Miss typed a 3 out of habbit. Use to be 305+.
    6'2". Carry my weight like thick guy with a belly.
    Never been above 315 LB.

-TJ. Mighty Tiberious
    Ahhhh,, ok! I'm close to your weight, but a bit taller. All your other detail sounds good. I tried trail runners, but they just didn't hold up under the weight of Big James,, lol. A 50 mile hike put a serious hurtin on a pair I thought were rock sold. Went back to leather boots, and glad I did. This big frame needs some sturdy footing to tromp thru the mountains! Rarely have blisters while wearing my boots.

Anyway,, sounds like your on your way to "ready". Have a blast!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I am now looking at the SS1. I am still tempted to go with the Notch as this is a back up to a full shelter.

If I can make do in the Notch once a week for the lighter weight it might be worth it? I am getting more worried about Condensation in any tarp tent.

The threads on WB all say I will be damp in a tarp tent.

If I go over 30 oz maybe I should go to a double wall.

It's my first Thru and I do not know how I will like using the Shelters?

I roll around a lot. Do not think a Hammock would work for this reason.

Just want to be dry. Should be able to deal with narrow walls?

Shoulders are 31-32" wide (not around the body).

Images

In the end, you might wind up spending a LOT of nights in shelters.

The "difference between men & boys is the price of their toys", as of now cuben fiber seems to be the (current) state of the art on the gear front. Expensive, yup. Not sure of your budget or financial situation but if I were going on a thru hike that is what I would be carrying.

Light, waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    If you feel that the Notch is too small, as discussed, I would think that most solo shelters will be , so maybe for the extra 7 oz the SS1 might still be one to consider.
    Franco
    OK, I am 5 feet, 6 in. ....160lbs...Do you think I will feel comfortable with the Notch? Also, can anyone nail down the real differences between the NOTCH and MOMENT?

I am about 2" taller than you about the same weight (at the moment...) and a year younger, so I think that you will fit in there really nicely.
    (You should be able to tell by the way I move inside it in my video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt1O...2&feature=plcp)
    The Notch is a Moment designed to be used with trekking poles. Because of that it is larger but lighter.
    Another advantage is the double vestibule/ double entry.
    Great if the weather changes, if you want to ignore another tent on one side of you or to watch the sunset from one side and the sunrise from the other as I have in a few occasions.
    (with the Scarp)
    Some will like the two walls so that you can either use the inner as a bug net by itself or the fly by itself , for example to get more room under if you have a mate in there playing cards or eating...

The Moment on the other hand is faster to set up, easy to do (for me) on snow and you can add the extra pole for a freestanding mode.
    BTW, I have not tried the Notch on snow but I set up tents in my head too, so I can "see" how to do it.
    That helps with snow loading too (not a winter tent but good enough for me...)
    Franco
    My fav Moment...
    Moment-2-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Tiberious View Post
    I am now looking at the SS1. I am still tempted to go with the Notch as this is a back up to a full shelter.

If I can make do in the Notch once a week for the lighter weight it might be worth it? I am getting more worried about Condensation in any tarp tent.

The threads on WB all say I will be damp in a tarp tent.

If I go over 30 oz maybe I should go to a double wall.

It's my first Thru and I do not know how I will like using the Shelters?

I roll around a lot. Do not think a Hammock would work for this reason.

Just want to be dry. Should be able to deal with narrow walls?

Shoulders are 31-32" wide (not around the body).
    Take a look at the Lightheart Solo, double wall shelter, with 3500 HH. With stakes, and seam sealing, will be 30 ounces.
    Singletrack

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I am about 2" taller than you about the same weight (at the moment...) and a year younger, so I think that you will fit in there really nicely.
    (You should be able to tell by the way I move inside it in my video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt1O...2&feature=plcp)
    The Notch is a Moment designed to be used with trekking poles. Because of that it is larger but lighter.
    Another advantage is the double vestibule/ double entry.
    Great if the weather changes, if you want to ignore another tent on one side of you or to watch the sunset from one side and the sunrise from the other as I have in a few occasions.
    (with the Scarp)
    Some will like the two walls so that you can either use the inner as a bug net by itself or the fly by itself , for example to get more room under if you have a mate in there playing cards or eating...

The Moment on the other hand is faster to set up, easy to do (for me) on snow and you can add the extra pole for a freestanding mode.
    BTW, I have not tried the Notch on snow but I set up tents in my head too, so I can "see" how to do it.
    That helps with snow loading too (not a winter tent but good enough for me...)
    Franco
    My fav Moment...
    Moment-2-1.jpg

Franco,
    VERY HELPFUL!! THanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++