WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

My Notch is en route, per UPS tracking... and I'm pretty stoked!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Mine too. Also they just put the setup video on the site.

Franco said, he did not know what the Hydostatic Head of the Notch was. Do either of you know?
    Singletrack

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    Franco said, he did not know what the Hydostatic Head of the Notch was. Do either of you know?
    I am not sure but Franco said it uses what I call 2000mm static head. What I was calling 2000mm static head is what I read Six Moon Designs uses. From reading previous threads SMD and TT buy their sil nylon from the same manufacturer but SMD buys one type and TT buys another. In other threads I saw where the owner of SMD was saying his stuff had a different coating that had a higher static head rating (2000mm versus 1200mm that TT was using) and the reason why TT didnt use the same stuff SMD used was because the stuff SMD uses was slightly less flexible or something.

So I think what I asked and Franco is saying is that he will not say what exactly the static head is, but that the three new TT designs (Notch, Stratospire 1, Stratospire 2) are using the same silnylon that SMD uses. Therefore I am reasoning that this silnylon is the 2000mm static head that SMD uses.

Really I don't care what exactly the static head number is but I have read that SMD has less or no complaints of misting.

To add a little more knowledge, I have read that Lightheart tents use sil that has a 3500mm static head and basically does not mist at all but I think theirs is much more expensive.

Images

I used the Rainbow on the PCT until Washington. I agree with everyone about the condensation issue but in real stormy weather it's not all that good. That pathetic little "bath tub floor" can be a problem and I think like a lot of "lite" gear it gives up a lot in strength. I switched to the fairly lite MSR Hubba1 it's pretty bomb proof and condensation free.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

The Rainbow that I have used can be set up with trekking poles vertically at each long side (i.e. one by the door). The ends fit into grommets designed for this purpose. What you get then is a LOT of stability. Essentially a 3 pole design.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I used the Rainbow on the PCT until Washington. I agree with everyone about the condensation issue but in real stormy weather it's not all that good. That pathetic little "bath tub floor" can be a problem and I think like a lot of "lite" gear it gives up a lot in strength. I switched to the fairly lite MSR Hubba1 it's pretty bomb proof and condensation free.
    Not that it's any consolation to your 2009 PCT thruhike but the Rainbow underwent a subsequent major revision and the bathtub floor is deeper/better tensioned now along with a host of over improvements including the availability of a 4-ounce breathable liner which you would have found really useful for condensation in cooler/wetter climates. Properly staked, especially with trekking poles, the current generation Rainbow is pretty solid.

-H

Images

I received my TT Notch recently, and I have to say I'm really impressed. The new design features, TT quality, and all at 26 ozs,, WOW!!!

Hey Will, your PM storage was maxed, couldn't send you a new PM regarding the Notch.

I got my Notch last week and sadly I feel it is too small for me. Granted I am 6' tall, 260 lbs and I wear a size 50 jacket. The tent is AWESOME in every way just too small for me in the shoulder area specifically. I mean I fit in there but it just felt tight in the arms/shoulder area. The inner net at the shoulder area angles inwards so when I raised my arms up they touch the screen and felt claustrophobic.

So I emailed and told Henry and he suggested, and I agreed, to order a StratoSprire I for more room. After I did that I decided I wanted to try a Moment so I ordered one of those too. Henry was nice enough to offer to take my Notch in return but I had it setup outside for a day and it rained while it was setup. I don't want to stick him with a 'used' tent so I plan to sell it for a slight discount then decide between the SS1 and Moment from there.

Big Dawg....thanks....have now made room. Would love to know the details

TyTy
    If the Notch is too small for you , the Moment could be too.
    The StratoSpire 1 has a 32" x86" rectangular floor, not tapered like the other two.
    In fact you can drop the floor down to fit two 20" mats inside it.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    TyTy
    If the Notch is too small for you , the Moment could be too.
    The StratoSpire 1 has a 32" x86" rectangular floor, not tapered like the other two.
    In fact you can drop the floor down to fit two 20" mats inside it.
    Franco
    You are probably right about the Moment being too small I just figured I might as well order one and give it a try. Henry said the same thing. I just love the simplicity of setup on the Moment and ability to go freestanding. I was dead set on ordering a Moment until the three new designs came out so I figured I might as well give it a try if nothing else to put my mind at ease.

Images

my MSR Carbon Reflex is light, bombproof, and comforable - I wish it was free standing like the regular Hubba but I can rig it quasi-free standing - it's nice to hike in the rain and light to medium snow and KNOW that you will sleep DRY, period, without much hassle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    my MSR Carbon Reflex is light, bombproof, and comforable - I wish it was free standing like the regular Hubba but I can rig it quasi-free standing - it's nice to hike in the rain and light to medium snow and KNOW that you will sleep DRY, period, without much hassle
    Having used a Hubba which has the same foot print as the Carbon Reflex 1 but more headroom and now the Notch, I can confidently say that the Notch has noticeably more volume of space. I am 6'1" and 215lbs for reference. The more I read about failure of the carbon pole gives me some concern as well. MSR will replace it but if it shatters in the field, then what. Not to mention it has an MSRP of.....$450.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nawlunz View Post
    Big Dawg....thanks....have now made room. Would love to know the details
    Details... well, for me the Notch is perfect for what I want in a solo shelter. I love the combination of a relatively small footprint, separate fly/netting enclosure (creating 2 wall design, and the ability to set up independantly from each other), ability to set up w/ hiking poles, 2 vestibules/doors, no wasted space, airflow options, lightweight (26ozs), and TT quality. To me,,, a complete package!! Also, I'm a big guy,, 6'5" and 275#'s. I don't have the elbow room of a 2 man tent, but that's ok w/ me. When I car camp, or am on a leisure backpacking trip, then a heavier 2 man tent is ok. But for my section hikes, I try to go as light as possible, and the room and protection of a tent like the Notch is plenty big enough. After all, I'm just sleeping in it,, not lounging in it for an afternoon. Overall, I can't be more pleased. I haven't taken it on a trip yet, but feel it will hold up great due to my success w/ other TT tents. Bravo Henry!!

PS. Even though I haven't taken it on a trip, I did set it up during a very windy day. It only took me a little over a minute to set up, and the tent was very stable and didn't flap, even though the gusts were pretty strong. The stitching and overall craftsmanship was top notch as always (pun intended :-).
    Last edited by Big Dawg; 12-30-2011 at 04:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Details... well, for me the Notch is perfect for what I want in a solo shelter. I love the combination of a relatively small footprint, separate fly/netting enclosure (creating 2 wall design, and the ability to set up independantly from each other), ability to set up w/ hiking poles, 2 vestibules/doors, no wasted space, airflow options, lightweight (26ozs), and TT quality. To me,,, a complete package!! Also, I'm a big guy,, 6'5" and 275#'s. I don't have the elbow room of a 2 man tent, but that's ok w/ me. When I car camp, or am on a leisure backpacking trip, then a heavier 2 man tent is ok. But for my section hikes, I try to go as light as possible, and the room and protection of a tent like the Notch is plenty big enough. After all, I'm just sleeping in it,, not lounging in it for an afternoon. Overall, I can't be more pleased. I haven't taken it on a trip yet, but feel it will hold up great due to my success w/ other TT tents. Bravo Henry!!

PS. Even though I haven't taken it on a trip, I did set it up during a very windy day. It only took me a little over a minute to set up, and the tent was very stable and didn't flap, even though the gusts were pretty strong. The stitching and overall craftsmanship was top notch as always (pun intended :-).

On some nights, I had to put my pack in the tent...either weather, and not interested in the marmots chewing on the pack...are the vestibules such that you have adequate space, or is there space at the end of the tent near the feet.....I am only 5'6" and weigh 158....so, not your size..Just curious!

On some nights, I had to put my pack in the tent...either weather, and not interested in the marmots chewing on the pack...are the vestibules such that you have adequate space, or is there space at the end of the tent near the feet.....I am only 5'6" and weigh 158....so, not your size..Just curious!
    The vestibles on the Notch are very large. I would say most people could fit their pack, shoes, and all their gear in one of the two equally sized vestibules.

That is interesting, you are a bigger guy than me (6', 260lbs, size 50 jacket) and I felt cramped in the Notch, mainly in the shoulder/arm area. I could lay down on my back and not be touching the screen but if I wanted to say, scratch my head I would touch the screen a good bit bringing my hand/arm up to my head. It just goes to show a lot of it is preference.

I got the Stratospire I last night and WOW! Tons of space. I mean there is a lot of space. It is truly a 1.5 man tent. The inner net walls are vertical too so there is really no touching the walls. I could probably sit up and turn around in there without touching the inner net tent walls.

One thing I like better about the Notch though is the symetry and 4 stake setup versus 6 on the SS1. They are both easy to setup but the Notch was easier. I would say they are both easier to setup than a traditional tent though because you are putting up the inner and outer and staking it all down all at the same time.

The other thing the SS1 gives you in comparison to the Notch is the rain protected entry with the doors rolled open. There is an overhang on the SS1 to where in a light drizzle or with condensation you can sleep with the doors open and the inner tent is protected by an overhang of the outer. On the Notch when the doors are rolled all the way open the net is exposed. I think that will be an advantage of the SS1 on warm nights with a chance of a little drizzle and with a little condensation I can sleep well knowing its not gonna get in.

I have a Moment on the way just to put my mind at ease but I am pretty sure I will end up using this TT SS1. I wish I could fit into the Notch comfortably but the extra 7 ounces aren't worth being uncomfortable.

Images

Yes, Plenty of space.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    The vestibles on the Notch are very large. I would say most people could fit their pack, shoes, and all their gear in one of the two equally sized vestibules.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    That is interesting, you are a bigger guy than me (6', 260lbs, size 50 jacket) and I felt cramped in the Notch, mainly in the shoulder/arm area. I could lay down on my back and not be touching the screen but if I wanted to say, scratch my head I would touch the screen a good bit bringing my hand/arm up to my head. It just goes to show a lot of it is preference.

I got the Stratospire I last night and WOW! Tons of space. I mean there is a lot of space. It is truly a 1.5 man tent. The inner net walls are vertical too so there is really no touching the walls. I could probably sit up and turn around in there without touching the inner net tent walls.

One thing I like better about the Notch though is the symetry and 4 stake setup versus 6 on the SS1. They are both easy to setup but the Notch was easier. I would say they are both easier to setup than a traditional tent though because you are putting up the inner and outer and staking it all down all at the same time.

The other thing the SS1 gives you in comparison to the Notch is the rain protected entry with the doors rolled open. There is an overhang on the SS1 to where in a light drizzle or with condensation you can sleep with the doors open and the inner tent is protected by an overhang of the outer. On the Notch when the doors are rolled all the way open the net is exposed. I think that will be an advantage of the SS1 on warm nights with a chance of a little drizzle and with a little condensation I can sleep well knowing its not gonna get in.

I have a Moment on the way just to put my mind at ease but I am pretty sure I will end up using this TT SS1. I wish I could fit into the Notch comfortably but the extra 7 ounces aren't worth being uncomfortable.
    I guess feeling cramped is relative,, yes, I brush up against netting, but it "gives", and doesn't restrict me, so I ignore it. The trade-off of a lighter tent, less stakes, and smaller footprint overrides any minor cramped feeling I have. Also, comparing the Notch to the SS1, I like the fact that the foot/head ends of the interior align with the triangular strut section of the exterior, allowing my sleeping bag overhang to stay away from exterior tent walls. That's always been an issue w/ me,, one that is resolved w/ the Moment/Notch.

I like the fact that the foot/head ends of the interior align with the triangular strut section of the exterior, allowing my sleeping bag overhang to stay away from exterior tent walls. That's always been an issue w/ me,, one that is resolved w/ the Moment/Notch.
    I didn't think about that. Good point.

I should get my Moment today so I will have a Notch, SS1, and Moment all at my house. I think I'm gonna set them all three up and take a picture of them, look at each one and think about all the different points then make my decision. I will say I am leaning pretty heavy towards the SS1 though at this point.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++