WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Think I am back to the drawing board on solo shelter.....

I went with a Tarptent rainbow last year on the JMT.....absolutely loved the space, easy set up and weight. However, this was my first trek with single wall tent. I found the condensation every morning was a hassle. I had a tent sponge, and glad I did. Lots of water removed. Granted, in many of the places I camped was near water, but that is the JNT. So, do I just live with it? Or, is there a comparable, lightweight double walled tent that would fair better with condensation. G\

A double-walled tent will fare better, but it will be somewhat heavier. I think that Six Moon Designs has some very light double walled tents now.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

A double-walled tent will fare better, but it will be somewhat heavier. I think that Six Moon Designs has some very light double walled tents now.

Here's a start: http://sixmoondesigns.com/nettents/HavenNetTent.html

You'll need one of these, too: http://sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/HavenTarp.html

The net mesh "ceiling" of the inner tent won't prevent condensation, but at least you won't touch it (without really trying). Unfortunately, if you get massive condensation under the fly and it starts raining, the rain drops will knock the condensation off the tarp as mist. The only thing that will stop misting is a tight fabric ceiling on the inner tent, rarely found on tents, especially ultralight ones.
    Last edited by Tinker; 11-26-2011 at 13:25.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear, cool new company from Maine.............love my new cuben fiber pack!!

Journal Entries
    Images

No rethinking required - its a great tent and keep in mind the smaller things are the condensation will always be an issue! It won't happen every night - and your wiping it down is just fine...

We are 66% water - we exhale it and loose a little each night - you are also condensing water from your warm 98 degree bod and lungs and it hits the cold air at night.... Therefore - the smaller the tent - bivy... etc.

Cooler nights leave a door open - even if it light rains or drizzle - you will wake up and you can close it

Stick with the tent and wear it out - then rethink.

The Owl has spoke.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Double wall tents at best reduce condensation but usually just mask it, in other words you don't see it , don't come into contact with it , but it is still there.
    In fact in some situations people that have fabric inners and a low fly will have more condensation because of lack of air flow.
    That was very obvious the morning after my last night on the trail , last week, when after inspecting my and my mate's tent (the StratoSpire2 and the Moment) 3 out of another 8 tents owners placed an order for one of them after beign cold and wet all night...(it had been raining almost non stop and hard since the early afternoon the day before)
    With the Rainbow you can add a liner; that is in fact the top part of a fabric inner. It will catch the possible mist but again will not "dissolve" condensation.
    Also keep in mind that after you wipe down the tent , it will weigh almost the same as dry, if you pack up a wet fly with an inner you will get that inner wet and carry the weight till it dries.
    (I packed up my SS2 in heavy rain so the fly was wet . It was about 14oz heavier than when dry about 8 hours later at home)
    Franco

Journal Entries
    Images

Great answer Franco!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hammocks work well as single person shelters. They are light. The tarp doesn't collect condensation. And they are much more comfortable than the ground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    (I packed up my SS2 in heavy rain so the fly was wet . It was about 14oz heavier than when dry about 8 hours later at home)
    Franco
    I have to ask ... did you have a scale when you packed it? 14oz seems ... almost unbelievable.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Did you look at the LightHeart Solo? it's on sale right now, double wall tent - www.lightheartgear.com
    Judy of LightHeart Gear

Images

I would want to be able to separate the inner tent from the fly in high condensation conditions and the SS1 or SS2 fits the bill. You can then pack the fly away separately if it is wet.

Re: the lightheart, you can't separate the inner from the fly, correct?

Journal Entries
    Images

I think you are overthinking it FG. - just leave a door open.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The #1 way I deal with condensation is paying attention to where I'm pitching my tent. Never not once have I thought I needed to buy a double wall tent to deal with condensation.

A piece of sponge or bandana works well to wipe up whatever condensation does appear.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The #1 way I deal with condensation is paying attention to where I'm pitching my tent. Never not once have I thought I needed to buy a double wall tent to deal with condensation.

A piece of sponge or bandana works well to wipe up whatever condensation does appear.

10-K...What kind of tent do you have?

I have a Lunar Solo, Lunar Duo, Rainbow, and LH Solo Cuben. The first 3 are single wall, the last is double.

I didn't buy the LH Solo because it was double walled - I bought it because it's very light with a lot of room.

One thing I picked up pretty quick is under normal circumstances to pitch the tent with the door/vestibule into the wind for maximum ventilation. This is not a good idea if a storm is expected.

Also, avoid low spots, grassy areas, and near water/wet areas. Under a tree helps too.
    Last edited by 10-K; 11-27-2011 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I have a Lunar Solo, Lunar Duo, Rainbow, and LH Solo Cuben. The first 3 are single wall, the last is double.

I didn't buy the LH Solo because it was double walled - I bought it because it's very light with a lot of room.

One thing I picked up pretty quick is under normal circumstances to pitch the tent with the door/vestibule into the wind for maximum ventilation. This is not a good idea if a storm is expected.

Also, avoid low spots, grassy areas, and near water/wet areas. Under a tree helps too.

Yes, I really liked the room and weight of the LH cuben tent, just grimacing about the cost....but, maybe someday.

Rain Man :
    I have to ask ... did you have a scale when you packed it? 14oz seems ... almost unbelievable.

It would have been a bit easier to understand if I had worded my sentence this way :
    "Measuring the weight at home, 8 hours later, it was still 14oz heavier than when dry. "

From previous experiments if I pack a silnylon tent wet but after a good shake down(that is, it isn't raining when I am doing it) it gains around 20-25% of its weight.
    Polyester and taffeta nylon tents gain much more than that (once saturated...)
    Franco

As others have said, you will still have condesation on any double-wall tent, you are just more protected from it. Don't camp out in the open and don't camp near water if you can help it. I remember one day in New Zealand we were paddling the Whanganui River and I was camped under a tree outside the 'official' camping area, my buddy was out in the open grassy area. The next day my tent was 95% dry and his was dripping in morning dew and condensation.

It's not the tent, it's not the tent, it's not the tent, it's not the tent

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    It's not the tent, it's not the tent, it's not the tent, it's not the tent
    You said it much better than I did.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I think you are overthinking it FG. - just leave a door open.
    Works great in the rain.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++