WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default The old Laurel Creek Lodge opening under new ownership and name for 2012 season

The old Laurel Creek Lodge in Hampton will be reopening for the 2012 thru hiking season. They will be opening under the name of Black Bear Resort with the same address and phone number. The website is www.blackbearresorttn.comand we also have a facebook page which is www.facebook.com/blackbearresorttn.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

That's good news. It can get kinda crazy at Kincora at times during the busy season and around trail days, so having them available again for the overflow is good.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

That is good news. I stayed there in 2000. Kincora is fine but all hostels can be tiresome if you just want to sleep.

Images

Great time there in 2002 when they were serving dinner and breakfast. Hosting that year was Fausa and Scoop
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Not many are going to pay $20 for a primitive tent site by a brook when they can camp for free along the trail and the creek just north of the road crossing.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Had Thanksgiving Dinner with Bob Peoples, Jack Tarlin, Seiko, Otto, Mountain Squid and the gang, and there was some chat about how crazy Kincora was this year because of both Laurel Creek Lodge and Braemer Castle being closed this year! No one will be happier than Bob to hear this news.

The first time I visted Kincora, I was wet, cold and tired. As I was walking up to the front portch, I was greeted by someone shouting out "GO AWAY! THIS PLACE IS FULL AND YOU CAN'T STAY HERE!". Great, what to do now? The only thing I could - I walked up the road to Laurel Creek and had the whole place to myself. They even had frozen pizza and ice cream, which was great since I was also pretty much out of food.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Is it the same Black Bear Resort company near Hot Springs.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Savoring Happy!

Looks like the new owners trashed the bunk house and turned it into a "cabin". Twenty bucks for a tent site? What city are they from? I was hoping the new owners were hikers.
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Stayed there about 5 years ago. Took the old AT, blue blazed now, down past Coon den falls. Steep, but the falls were great. Sounds like the prices have gone up, but we liked the place when we stayed there last time.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Stayed there in 2000. Kincora was full and the very gracious Bob Peeples drove me to Laurel Creek Lodge. The owners were Dennis and Mary and they were terrific. I can't remember their last name. I'm glad to hear it's getting a face lift. Incidentally, what happened to Dennis and Mary? The last I heard, they were opening a place in Damascus.

++ New Posts ++