WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I just scored a new extra fine merino wool sweater from our local Thrift Store, Value Village, for $6. It has a Kirkland label on it, so its originally from Cosco. 10.7oz in XL. Great baselayer for this winter, and to wear every day around town. Also got a waterproof nylon wind/rain shell, anorak type. Red Ralph Lauren Polo Sport. Very packable. Has a hood, and a full pouch, 1/4 zip, and draw string at the waist. 6.2oz in XL, also for $6. Also, a pair of 60% wool, 40% nylon dress socks for $1.50 and a freaky pair of fleece mitts with extra long sleeves for $3, made in Bedford MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hey, I've been meaning to thank you for posting this link a couple of years ago:

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218

I got a pair and have been using them and loving them. I did find that inserting a pair of shoe inserts in them makes them excellent! Without inserts, it's like walking barefooted, but with them I walk all over the place around camp and have had quite a few compliments . . . although my best hiking buddy has labeled them my "Elton John" shoes! Even with shoe inserts (most folks buy high quality shoe inserts so you can use the ones that come in your shoes), they weigh almost nothing. Leave those heavy crocs at home!
    Maybe next time, ask for the camo or black colored ones. Your friends will call you Ted Nugent instead of Elton John. LOL
    Thanks Summit.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/men...e-layer~d~155/.
    I've liked the synthetic stuff I've gotten from STP, Wickers comfortrel works well for me, and I've used other brands that were on sale and they worked well. You'll need to figure out a layering system that works for you. For me, midweight or expedition weight is what I use in winter.

Wool is fine but more expensive. I like silk less but it works for some people.

jcpenney has left over BVD thermal base layers on clearance for like $10. Maybe they'll still have them at your penneys!

Images

Check Marshalls / TJ Max. I have picked up terrarmar and marmot products there for $10 or less.

Images

Sizing is an issue for me. LLBean has medium Tall and I actually sprung for the mid and expedition weight bottoms last August. If the E weight had a knit cuff, they would be the perfect bottoms, for me.

Worth every penny.

Good info and advice, especially this, which applies to everything, not just clothing:

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The secret is to make do with what you have until you find what you need on sale, and not buy what you don't need just because its on sale.

I own a couple of Layer Bottom from ColdPruf long underwear. The black fleece-like stuff is the warmest. It's biggest drawback is that is has a somewhat "tacky" feel to it, and pulls the hair on your legs the wrong way. This makes them itch if you're wearing them for long periods. The dark blue long underwear are less warm than the black. The brown ones are lightest. I bought them a few years ago, they may have changed the colors on me since then, tell him to be governed by weight outside of the fleece looking stuff. NONE of them are suitable for outdoor work in January up there, worn under a suit. Under a set of Carhartts, yes. Tell him to cheer up, it only gets down around -30 every couple years. Mostly it gets down around -10 to -20 for a week or so then warms back up to a low of 0 to -10.

I found this underwear thanks to a review site in article "Best Men’s and Women’s Underwear", here you can even order a review for any products that you need, cool as for me.

You might want to look at the Norwegian Helly Hansen base layers... even official Finnish sports teams use them and they know a thing or two about winter. (and a little about ice hockey) The Odin top (warm) has a polypropylene fabric that wicks faster than polyester, with merino wool sewn in, and fits like a glove. I use 2 pairs of the standard HH bottoms which can be worn single or doubled up. They very light and pack well with longevity. The top has a 1/4 zip and a high collar that negates the need for a buff. It's long length fits deep into your pants. They also dry super quick. A smart design all around.

The Patagonia 1/4 zip hoody is another option although it takes an eternity to dry when wet. I plan to sleep in it with stretchy fleece pants. My preference leans towards the HH without a hood as I have a splendid Ray Mears wool and possum beanie The warmest "base layer" top I have is a Nike running l/s top but have sadly decided to leave it behind.

Costco and Wal-Mart just got their winter fleece layers in.

Bought a great new looking Marino wool men's large for $5 at local thrift store. Meant to make a dog coat but it was so nice I sent it to my son. Turns out the tag was Valentino and worth more than I would ever spend on a wool sweater. Folks seem to dump their warm clothes when they move to Florida.

Drop into thrift stores when you travel, kind of like playing the lottery.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Costco and Wal-Mart just got their winter fleece layers in.
    Hopefully Sam's Club is getting theirs soon. They had some nice wool last year.

I hope in the last six years the OP found he underwear he was looking for. Zombie thread revival.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I hope in the last six years the OP found he underwear he was looking for. Zombie thread revival.
    Maybe more immortal than zombie. Even if old, this is a useful question, often with different answers every year.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Don't worry, I got it dialed in!

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPGIMG_7103.JPG
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++