WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

El Sordo
    Images

Default ATC Incident Reports

Greetings:

You may not all be aware that the ATC has a URL for reporting incidents on or neat the trail. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...rt-an-incident

This is the best place to post first hand reports concerning issues with hikers or trail providers that you feel need others to be made aware of.

I recently shuttled some southbounders back to the trail near Hiawassee, GA and was questioned about a shuttler they had dealt with previously. This particular shuttler tends to "farm" Dicks Creek Gap since there is no cell phone service there and has become somewhat notorious locally for dishonesty and intimidation. The hikers asked me why nothing had been done about him to which I could only respond that it was not against the law to be a jerk. Not my precise words, but you get the idea. If you have first hand issues with any trail provider the ATC is the best place to file your report unless it is of a law enforcement matter or requires immediate action.

I believe that you can also find an incident report form in the back of your trail guide. While we who live along the trail may be aware of issues that have been brought to our attention, anything we say is second hand and unverifiable. If you have specific first hand knowledge of problems, take advantage of the ATC incident report program and help us all make the trail a more pleasurable experience for all.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I had no idea that the Gap was named for a shuttler.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    huh??.........
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Does ATC post reports of incidents and report the outcomes of investigations in order to keep the hiking community informed? If so how and where?

While ATC should obviously be kept informed of trail incidents, if one's intent is to inform other hikers and the hiking community, then the local trail clubs, WB, and other sites are far better at getting the word out. And if there is a crime committed, law enforcement agencies should always be notified directly.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    huh??.........
    I thought the same thing.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

El Sordo
    Images

the ATC website posts reports of intertest to hikers.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Noob

He was trying to be funny. Dick's Gap.

Images

Thanks for the link. Never knew it can be done online.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Default who?

Why not tell us who it is and what car he drives? That way we could pass the word. There are a lot of jerks and I would like to know who this particular one is and what he does. Harass females? Offer rides and then demand payment? Drive off with your pack? What?

Images

Hey. Whats up with the ATC? I just read the latest Journal. It's all about speed hiking. Handicapped access, parking lots. What ever happened to backpacking?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

I got IT! -

So I checked out the page and its great to be able to post an incident - but you cant read them.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-24-2011 at 11:00.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Hey. Whats up with the ATC? I just read the latest Journal. It's all about speed hiking. Handicapped access, parking lots. What ever happened to backpacking?
    Here's my issue with ATC's website in particular: I find it poorly designed from a "technical writing" standpoint. Many links to pages are buried in the text, rather than in more easily navigated menus. Good technical writing, both in print and on the web, has to emphasize accessibility of information. Regarding incidents, you have to first go to the "Trail Updates" page before you even find the link to the "A.T. Shuttles, Public Transportation, and Vandalism Alerts" page. How does a reader know that vandalism / incidents are found under "Trail Updates"? On the Trail Updates page are the list of states, but there is no title saying those links go to the "Alerts". Some will find this being overly critical, but being picky is part of the nature of good technical writing.

I reported a vandalism incident at a trail head parking area in northern MA in August (Pine Cobble Road). Others have reported this same lot as having vandalism / break-in problems in the past. Yet it is not mentioned, and the page has been updated since then. So while I agree that ATC should be informed, I don't believe they are the end-all when it comes to disseminating information to the hiking community. If you want to really get the word out, report to ATC but also post your report here, on other hiking sites, and to local authorities if warranted.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Havng spoken to the web designer personally - its not about backpacking - Gasp! opus_bill.gif
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Here's my issue with ATC's website in particular: I find it poorly designed from a "technical writing" standpoint. Many links to pages are buried in the text, rather than in more easily navigated menus. Good technical writing, both in print and on the web, has to emphasize accessibility of information. Regarding incidents, you have to first go to the "Trail Updates" page before you even find the link to the "A.T. Shuttles, Public Transportation, and Vandalism Alerts" page. How does a reader know that vandalism / incidents are found under "Trail Updates"? On the Trail Updates page are the list of states, but there is no title saying those links go to the "Alerts". Some will find this being overly critical, but being picky is part of the nature of good technical writing.[/B]
    Glad to read that others have problems navigating the ATC website. Too many times I cannot find link that I know is there....somewhere!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea thats why I called the webmaster - on the phone....he's is a one man wonder, does it all by himself...

Woo

++ New Posts ++