WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Drippy nose, sneezing, clearing nasal congestion

I have allergies and blowing my nose is a daily routine. When I walk in the cold my nose seems to drip rather than out and out sneeze. I sometime wake up at night and feel the need to blow my nose so I can breathe better (moderate nasal congestion). I'm allergic to lots of things including cats, dust, pollen and more, a lot seasonal and the cats are not coming on my Thru-Hike. I get allergy shots every couple of weeks and will stop before I start, and hope I'll retain a lot of resistance for awhile, to resume when I get back. Kleenex are a big part of my life. So, here's the question: How does everyone handle the need to wipe and/or blow? I'll be taking lots of bandannas for many purposes and I even have a "Snot Spot" (Snot Spot Hand The One-of-a-kind, Wearable, Washable, Fleece Nose Wiper That Fits Over A Bare Hand Or Thin Glove Liner And Helps Runners, Hikers, Cross-country Skiers, And Others Fight A Runny Nose While On The Go), though haven't used it yet. When in the throws of a real allergy attack I go through quite a few kleenex (more clear fluid than 'snot'). Taking enough disposable kleenex will be impractical, of course, due to weight/space and pack out considerations. I plan to take a zyrtec every morning and a benadryl before going to sleep, hoping for minimal daily wiping/blowing. I'd really like to hear from experienced thru-hikers who have figured this out so I don't have to!

Images

If it's really bad you might try one of those nasal sprays. Usually I'm skeptical and very wary of shooting something up my nose. But I took one for the first time this season and it worked miracles. It cleared up the congestion and I didn't have a runny nose once. You could get rid of the zyrtec and benadryl and just take one of these. Of course, everyone's body is different but I hope it helps.

I have a drippy nose often when it gets even a little chilly out. I bring kleenex on the trail with me and keep about 3 stashed in my "front pouch" with my map/guide and camera. But three is usually enough for a day's hiking for me. To be honest if I run out I use my shirt. By the time I'm two days in it's so gross and soaked with rain or sweat that it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Alternatively, you could try perfecting the art of the "snot rocket." Press down on one nostril with a finger and blow sharply to "blast" the snot out of the other nostril. I've seen people toss snot 3-5 feet with this method, gross but effective in certain circumstances.

Great, Amanita! That would get rid of the excess and fun to boot to see how far I can get it. Hoping allergies turn out to be not a problem or that I can find the right meds. Nasal sprays can be self defeating, so I hadn't even considered them. I think I'll plan on carrying at least a few in my front pouch and maybe include a certain amount in my resupply boxes and/or bounce boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    Alternatively, you could try perfecting the art of the "snot rocket." Press down on one nostril with a finger and blow sharply to "blast" the snot out of the other nostril. I've seen people toss snot 3-5 feet with this method, gross but effective in certain circumstances.
    +1 on this. The great thing about hiking alone is the ability to emit bodily fluids without having to worry about offending people!

Images

Just a thought and not medically proven but tends to work for a lot of people including me. Take 5000-6000 mg vit C spread out throughout the day. It is water soluble so if you take it at one time all you have is vitamin urine. Within a week it should fix the issue if it is going to work for you.

Let me know if it helps so far is has helped >90% of those I've told.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

+1. An essential life-skill far too many people know nothing about.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

My record for sneezing is 26 in a row set back in 1982, it was a tuesday,I wearing a blue shirt and I think it was raining.In all honesty go see your doctor ask about astelin,nasacourt,and alegra.I hardly ever sneeze anymore best of luck to ya.

Have you ever tried a Neti-pot saline rinse? I swear by them. I had sinus surgery about 5 years ago...the only good that came out of it was the Neti-pot. If you can stand any pressure there is a squeeze variation of the Neti-pot. It's worth a try.

Images

I keep my allergies in check with powdered Vitamin C mixed with Stevia(for sweetner) added to my water. Sipping 5000mg over the course of a day, kept me snot free for the most part. I used Benadryl if I was having trouble at night.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Not to rain on your parade, but a runny nose when exposed to cold is a genetic condition that effects a large number of the population. Well, it affects a large percentage of the population in a noticable way, according to an article I read in Ski Magazine years ago. It may be allergies too, but probably not. Just your body trying to pre-warm and humidify cold air going to the lungs. I also read another article years ago in Backpacker about Vitamin C reducing one's resistance to cold.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Yes for snot rockets!
    I have forgotten and launched a few while out walking my dog in the neighborhood and gotten some disgusted looks from my neighbors. That's one of the reasons I like to hike - your fellow hikers will just look on in appreciation and awe at a good snot rocket.

++ New Posts ++