WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

That's sure an impressive piece of work, Veteran!

Here is the link http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content....s-along-the-AT
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default I am truely stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Here is a listing of radio station along the Appalachian Trail. The listing is by state and shows frequency, call sign, city, and radio strength.

Once again I would like to thank our user Veteran for putting this list together for us.
    Geez, Murphy, are you guys psychic?! Since I'm in this "biz" I totally plan on checking out the stations along the AT. I was just thinking the other day that one of the things I would have to do was to start going through the Broadcaster's Yearbook (an industry mag) and make my list. I was putting this preparation right up there with planning mail drops and z-days...and now here you've gone and done it for me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Could someone please email this to me in plain text somehow? I can't get it to open on my piece of junk. Thanks!
    Mindi
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    Could someone please email this to me in plain text somehow?
    Can't do attachments when emailing via WhiteBlaze, Mindi.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks for that file Troll. I hiked without a radio until Waynesboro and then bought one on a whim at Radio Shack. I enjoyed listening to it in my tent on many nights before going to sleep.

I have particularly fond memories of listening to the radio in the northernmost states. One particular FM station I tuned into regularly (don't know it's call-sign) played half or one hour programs late at night featuring the recording history of various artists such as Jimmy Jones (Handy Man), Bob Seger and other artists of the 60's 70s and 80s era. Nothing like laying in your tent next to Rainbow Lake listening to the oldies. Hopefully I can find this station again broadcasting on the net.
    Downunda

Many Thanks for all the work, will put info in my datat book for 2007

Images

That's a huge amount of work! Thanks so much to everyone who contributed. Do I have permission to pass this along to sany hiker who would like a copy?

Default a few comments

First, very thorough and impressive job.

As a radio junkie, especially public radio, let me suggest a few revisions.

WETH no longer plays any classical. Format is public radio. FYI, it's a clone of WETA, Wash, DC.

WITF format is classical/public radio.

WJAZ format is better stated as jazz/classical. Same with WRTY, they are clones.
    Early Bird 2007

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If you like good, authentic bluegrass, may I highly recommend WBRF at 98.1 FM out of Galax VA. They play bluegrass at night, and I was able to pick up a decent signal in my tent from about Whitetop to somewhere between Bland and Pearisburg. They play country--mostly classic country--in the daytime.

WBRF is one of those rare stations that has stayed true to its roots and so far has refused to be Clear Channeled out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    If you like good, authentic bluegrass, may I highly recommend WBRF at 98.1 FM out of Galax VA. They play bluegrass at night, and I was able to pick up a decent signal in my tent from about Whitetop to somewhere between Bland and Pearisburg. They play country--mostly classic country--in the daytime.

WBRF is one of those rare stations that has stayed true to its roots and so far has refused to be Clear Channeled out of existence.
    I'll keep this in mind when I'm in VA. I love bluegrass music, but have been bummed out ever since WAMU in DC changed their venue. I used to download the "Into The Blue" programs from the internet, but that stopped because of the RIAA copyright BS, even though the musicians gave their permission for the programs to be distributed.

I will not support either through concerts participation or CD purchase any musician that is an RIAA member. Unfortunately, that includes most of them.
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Wow, trying to open that .zip file whacked my computer. It downloaded OK and seemed to extract but when it tried to open in WordPad it was blicking and buzzing.

Any ideas? I haven't had any problems before...

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
    I'll keep this in mind when I'm in VA. I love bluegrass music, but have been bummed out ever since WAMU in DC changed their venue. I used to download the "Into The Blue" programs from the internet, but that stopped because of the RIAA copyright BS, even though the musicians gave their permission for the programs to be distributed.

I will not support either through concerts participation or CD purchase any musician that is an RIAA member. Unfortunately, that includes most of them.
    It won't help you much on a thru-hike, but if you want a good 24/7 Bluegrass station check out Sirius Satellite Radio. You can get a free 3-day internet trial at www.sirius.com and if you like it can either subscribe using an internet delivery or get the proprietary radio (some as little as $30 after rebates) for home or auto listening. If you do the latter you would get the internet delivery thrown in for free. Sirius has about 150 stations now including about 70 commercial-free music channels with myriad genres including some you probably never thought of but they do exist. The bluegrass channel is one of the reasons I subscribed.

They do have a portable, wearable radio called the Stiletto now which is lightweight/compact, and has MP3 capabilities too. But IMHO it would only be of value to a dayhiker. Battery life isn't long enough for a long distance backpacker. I'm betting they will have one that is tho, sooner rather than later.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Wow, trying to open that .zip file whacked my computer. It downloaded OK and seemed to extract but when it tried to open in WordPad it was blicking and buzzing.

Any ideas? I haven't had any problems before...
    First, you need WinZip to get at the contents of the .zip file. Assuming you did that, it will reveal a .doc file, which is a Microsoft Word format. This radio file is highly formatted, so I have to wonder if WordPad can handle it. If you have a recent version of MS Word, it should open in that.

If that doesn't work give me a yell and I'll try to make a PDF for you. Try being the operative word here.

Images

Sly, I went ahead and made the PDF file. Took over an hour because of the MS Word formatting. But the resulting PDF file is "only" 743KB. Even with dial-up this could be do-able.

If you want it, e-mail me at skyline (at) shentel (dot) net and I'll reply from my business account which starts with "service." (Business account has broadband, personal account uses dial-up.)

WNCW is a good one. Can listen here, although you may want to wait until this song gets over!

http://www.wncw.org/media/Misc/WNCW-24ktemp.m3u

Images

This is the best, thanks to all the Veterns. Im doing my thru hike in March and I will print this up and put in companian book.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird2007 View Post
    First, very thorough and impressive job.

As a radio junkie, especially public radio, let me suggest a few revisions.

WETH no longer plays any classical. Format is public radio. FYI, it's a clone of WETA, Wash, DC.
    FYI, WETH, Hagerstown, MD has changed its format (again). It is now all classical.
    Early Bird 2007

Default Ham repeaters along the Trail

Any Hams out there know of any repeaters along the AT?
    am now trying to come up with a Mapbook repeater directory for the PCT
    (Unless that is herasy on whitblaze)
    it would be nice to put one together for the AT
    Sam/KO6JQ
    If man was man's best freind,
    it wouldn't be a dog eat dog world

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++