WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Proposal for Class Credit of AT Thru-Hike

Used to be a guide, bought (and was ready to go) all the gear for a NOBO thru hike for last year. Now I am putting together a proposal to present to a Leisure Studies program faculty panel at a local university that hiking the AT is worth college credit. The chair of the department is a thru-hiker so hopefully that will help. If anyone has any resources, quantifiable data, anything really that would bolster my proposition I would greatly appreciate it. Ultimately teaching recreation/leisure studies at a university would be a dream job, this could just be that first step. I have a Bachelors Degree in Outdoor Recreation with a Masters Degree in Education. Soon, hopefully, a doctorate in recreation. Thanks for any and all assistance.
    Kalell
    It is not the destination but the journey.

Images

A person could get a Student Loan to finance their thru hike. Then join OWS, and demand their loan be forgiven.

Images

You're not the first to propose this if memory serves. I think I've seen both college and HS attempts at getting credit for an AT thru. Someone a few years back talked about it - you might find it in the archives here on WB. If I remember correctly they were denied and couldn't sell the idea to their dept chairs, but good luck.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kalell View Post
    Used to be a guide, bought (and was ready to go) all the gear for a NOBO thru hike for last year. Now I am putting together a proposal to present to a Leisure Studies program faculty panel at a local university that hiking the AT is worth college credit. The chair of the department is a thru-hiker so hopefully that will help. If anyone has any resources, quantifiable data, anything really that would bolster my proposition I would greatly appreciate it. Ultimately teaching recreation/leisure studies at a university would be a dream job, this could just be that first step. I have a Bachelors Degree in Outdoor Recreation with a Masters Degree in Education. Soon, hopefully, a doctorate in recreation. Thanks for any and all assistance.
    Kalell
    Seriously? GET A JOB
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

You can become a doctor of recreation

I suggest contacting the Appalachian Trail Conservancy about helping their megatransect project which includes air and water monitoring along the AT corridor. Last I heard, they look for volunteers among thruhikers. There is a scientific benefit to the research & monitoring.

Here's a link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what...rce-management

Oughta be worth three, maybe six hours of credit.

If there were any phys ed requirements at the school, a thru hike might get you out of those classess..
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hey, Kalell: Great idea! The disconnect between current American life and reality is dire....and is heading towards tragic. A good resource for information about this disconnect are two books by Richard Louv. (The Last Child in the Woods and The Nature Principle.) Good reads concerning what is called "nature deficit disorder." HYOH...we wish you well. Peregrino and Monk

p.s. Have you conducted a lit review on the topic, yet? To academia, research speaks loudly where we mere humans mumble... : ) Signed, Monk (Peregrino's wife)

I guess I'm a little confused. "College credit" is a lot different than being the topic of a doctoral thesis/dissertation. Which are you asking about. Some of the helpful comments above are from those who assume the latter. Less helpful comments about getting a job or having the government pay for it are probably from those who assume the former.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You're not the first to propose this if memory serves. I think I've seen both college and HS attempts at getting credit for an AT thru. Someone a few years back talked about it - you might find it in the archives here on WB. If I remember correctly they were denied and couldn't sell the idea to their dept chairs, but good luck.
    Looked into it and there is actually a school that does offer credit for hiking the AT in conjuction with a study field: i.e. watershed study, photography, etc. Called the department chair and you need one and a half years of course prep work before you are allowed out on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Seriously? GET A JOB
    Teaching the value of the outdoors is what gave us Central Park and kept most of the AT "wilderness". Showing others the beauty, the payoffs; of that burn you feel going up but the great view at the top, or the bonds between hikers that occur on the journey. The woods are a gift for us to share, inform, and show the importance of, to others who normally would not give nature a second thought.

Semester-A-Trail

Check out this you tube video. It talks about Emory and Henry's semester on the AT program. This was the first year they did this. I think it would be worthwhile to take this "course". Your school might allow transfer credit from Emory and Henry.

I think that this would offer more opportunities for self discover and education than many of the study abroad programs. (which often are semester long parties...hey under 21 can drink over seas!)

whoops here is the you tube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgs044Yq-I

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sounds like a lot more fun then my Thermodynamics II course was.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Sounds like a lot more fun then my Thermodynamics II course was.
    Isn't hiking applied thermodynamics?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

A PhD in hiking? I don't know if you could get it or not, but the much more important question is, why? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but employers don't really pay you for your degree, they pay you for what you can do for them. Everybody has to make enough money to eat.

I have one son who is studying engineering in college, and one who is studying psychology. It is very clear which one will be looking to move back in with me and the wife once he graduates. Of course, if they offered a degree in skateboarding, I probably wouldn't have one in engineering, either.

Colleges are trade schools? I always though they were centers of higher education.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Isn't hiking applied thermodynamics?
    Nah, applied thermodynamics is rocket science, hiking is just walking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Will you put thru-hiking of AT or other major trails in your resume to apply for an office job?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++