WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Stamping Ground Ridge Trail

Thanks BabySue for the info on the newish connection between the Stamping Ground Ridge Trail and Rocky Branch Rd.

I got a lift to the Stamping Ground Ridge Trail off Unaka Mt. Rd. this morning and proceeded to hike down Stamping Ground Ridge towards Limestone Cove. The trail is not blazed but it's easy to follow.

After about 2.75/3.00 miles there is an obviously new trail intersection which is the connector to Rocky Branch Rd. The "old" Stamping Ground Ridge Trail continues forward where it eventually dead ends into private property.

The new trail IS blazed yellow and runs for maybe 3/4 of a mile before popping out on a forest rd. There is a trail sign designating that point as the Stamping Ground Ridge trailhead. From there, I walked about 1.5 miles back towards Rocky Branch Rd., passing the Limestone Cove Trail and back down to my Jeep, making for a very pleasant 3 hour afternoon adventure.

I think I've now hiked all the marked trails in the Unaka Mt. Wilderness. Still a lot left to explore.

Images

i was just on the shinbone trail!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    i was just on the shinbone trail!
    Interesting trail - did you go over to the overlook for the look into the Nolichucky Gorge - it's probably the best view of the river and gorge there is.

++ New Posts ++