WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Snow Storm Damage

Has anyone heard any reports about damage on the trail in New England after last week's snow storm? I'm guessing the hiking clubs in the northeast will need plenty of help clearing trees and branches as a result.

I don't know about New England, but here in Southern PA there was a lot of damage. Lots of branches on the trail (easily removed with the flick of a hiking stick) but also a lot of downed trees. We counted about 15 large trees on the trail (chainsaw needed) and another 20 or so small ones (handsaw needed) in a 3 1/2 mile section south of Caledonia.

Images

That ratio of fallen trees per mile sounds a lot like the street I live on.

Images

Probably worse south of Mass and at lower elevations where the snow was wetter. Where I live is a little milder than the higher elevations of the Berkshires and we didn't get much damage because the snow wasn't so sticky. I know towns in Conn not so far from the AT had lots of trees down.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I don't know about New England, but here in Southern PA there was a lot of damage. Lots of branches on the trail (easily removed with the flick of a hiking stick) but also a lot of downed trees. We counted about 15 large trees on the trail (chainsaw needed) and another 20 or so small ones (handsaw needed) in a 3 1/2 mile section south of Caledonia.
    I hadn't thought of that. I'll be hiking in central Pa. on the AT next week. I hope it isn't so bad there, but we don't have any choice but to deal with it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Based on where the power outages were, nearly all of the tree damage was east of the trail. That doesn't mean that there's no damage on the AT, but the bulk of the damage was around the Connecticut River.

Also, from what I've seen, most of the damage was due to fallen limbs, not entire trees down, so I wouldn't expect major problems on the trail.

Images

We had 18" of wet snow in my part of CT with lots of trees and branches down on the street and in the woods plus a lot of future widow makers.

We had 13 inches of snow here in Bethel, CT, and my house was without power for 4 days. Connecticut Light & Power originally said 99% of power would be restored by tonight at midnight, but they're now saying by Wednesday at midnight. Lots and lots of trees, branches, and power lines came down where I live (northern Fairfield County), which i s about a 30-45 minute drive from the AT at the ny/ct border.

I was on the AT between Cheshire and Dalton yesterday. At around 2000ft some thin crusty snow in the open areas, not much if any under the trees. No unusually high amount of downed trees or limbs. We have no reports from further south in Mass yet, but most of the leaves were off the trees at elevation, so I suspect there was no widespread damage. Towns east of the Berkshires got pretty well hammered, still some w/o power today.

Cosmo

Images

Hiked 12 miles in Md north bound to Pa line. Lots of down branches n a few trees. Nothing that wasnt to difficult.

++ New Posts ++