WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 50f morning starts, how many layers?

On 50f mornings once my 'furnace' kicks in I'm OK with a single layer (a tad chilly but OK), but the problem is is that it takes a mile or more to get my 'furnace' going good. Should I start with another layer and after a mile or so take a short break to put it away, or 'grin and bear it' and start off cold and tolerate it until I warm up good?

The temperature it affects you is probably different, but my bottom line question:

How do you handle layering changes through the day on the trail?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Personal preference. I just start off cold knowing I'm going to warm up. My wife bundles up and we have to stop for her to take off layers as she warms up.

Images

Usually I need nothing more than a LS capilene.I have an EMS windshirt/jkt thats perfect for cool mornings,if its very chilly I' might need it for a half mile or so, but keep it in my outer pack pocket for breaksespecially if its breezy and cool..

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

At 50 degrees I start off in shorts and T-shirt, knowing that I'll warm up soon.
    At 40 degrees I might put on my fleece or rain parka, plus gloves or extra socks on my hands. I walk in shorts and T-shirt down to about 45 as long as the wind is light and its not raining.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

When I get up in the mornings that are cooler, I put on my jacket and I'm heating up water and breaking down camp and packing up all at the same time. By the time all this is done and I've thrown down something hot and its time to get going I'm good and warmed up and I'm shedding that jacket.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

This is a sort of weird question because you will know the answer as soon as you get up one morning and start hiking in 50 degrees. The main issue is sweat management and having the discipline to dump the pack and de-layer. Sure, start off bundled up but know you'll soon be shedding. I like to start off cold in minimal layers since I don't like to throw off the pack 15 minutes into my hike, especially to take off my boots to remove my long johns. So, I hit the morning trail usually in shorts to avoid this. Top layers are easier to remove and so it's not a problem. Plus, a good rain jacket can be used over a t-shirt or a minimal baselayer when starting out at 50F just to keep in a little of your core temps, and then removed easily down the trail.

I just throw on my rainjacket in those temps.

Images

50F is shorts and a t-shirt weather for me, unless it's overcast and windy when I might put on a windshirt. Otherwise it's personal preference -- nothing wrong with adjusting your clothing layers as frequently as you like to account for the weather and your personal heat level.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    50F is shorts and a t-shirt weather for me, unless it's overcast and windy when I might put on a windshirt. Otherwise it's personal preference -- nothing wrong with adjusting your clothing layers as frequently as you like to account for the weather and your personal heat level.
    There's a strange ailment which afflicts backpackers, causing them to be strongly unwilling to remove their packs no matter what. I''ve experienced it myself and regularly see it in the backcountry---you'll meet a backpacker and start talking and both of you will be standing around for 30 minutes REFUSING to take off your packs. It's crazy. And so this applies to sweat management and de-layering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's a strange ailment which afflicts backpackers, causing them to be strongly unwilling to remove their packs no matter what. I''ve experienced it myself and regularly see it in the backcountry---you'll meet a backpacker and start talking and both of you will be standing around for 30 minutes REFUSING to take off your packs. It's crazy. And so this applies to sweat management and de-layering.
    Why do we do this? I fall/fell right into this trap. But, I'm getting better. I guess that comes with age. I used to put a time limit or a mileage limit on when I would take my pack off and take a break. Crazy. Not no more. Much older and somewhat wiser.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

hey, if its 50 degrees in march, Im in a t shirt. If its 50 in september, Ill start with a windshirt.In march, 50 feels like 65.in september, it feels more like 40.

Images

I have fell in that trap too! Now as I get older I prefer to trow my pack down & sit on it. Living In FL I also learned to move a few feet to get in the shade

Images

Sorry for off topic post. On chilly mornings I will wear gear easy to get out of. Rainpants & parka if I feel Chilly.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Depends. When I leave my pack on and stop to talk it usually is a subtle cue that I'm in hiking mode and don't want to break my rhythm.

Very rarely do I meet a total stranger and just stop for an extended period. The truth is, I don't always feel like doing a "stop and chat" - I'm not rude about it or anything - it's just that I get in a certain zone and hate to break it.

Sorry too for the OT post.

I learned this the hard way. You get warm quick. Now I just start off with my hiking pants and a long sleeve Cap1. That's all I need until I stop at the end of the day.

Garlic
    Images

I follow this "rule" I heard from a runner: Start off dressed 20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says (if you're starting off climbing). You'll warm up. If not, stop and adjust. Variables such as wind, sun, slope, humidity and precip all have a say, too. If you start the day off soaking yourself in sweat, it may be hard to recover.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I always try and start out in my normal hiking gear for the season, which usually is shorts and a tee-shirt. It has to be pretty cold (many times I just "bite the bullet") for me to start out with something warmer. The whole layering thing is over emphasized in my opinion.

BTW, I love looking at my local temps here and compare them with my home state and laugh at my family when it's really cold up there in Maryland This morning I looked at the temp and it was 54 down here and 52 up there and I felt real anger just not fair, this is suppose to be Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I follow this "rule" I heard from a runner: Start off dressed 20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says (if you're starting off climbing). You'll warm up. If not, stop and adjust. Variables such as wind, sun, slope, humidity and precip all have a say, too. If you start the day off soaking yourself in sweat, it may be hard to recover.
    Didn't you mean "cooler"?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Didn't you mean "cooler"?
    Maybe I should have said say, "start off dressing as if it's 20 degrees warmer....?" I was just trying to copy what this guy said: http://running.lifetips.com/tip/1333...gree-rule.html
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Maybe I should have said say, "start off dressing as if it's 20 degrees warmer....?" I was just trying to copy what this guy said: http://running.lifetips.com/tip/1333...gree-rule.html
    Sounds about right. I try to start uncomfortably chilled.

50 degrees is a no-brainer. T-shirt. Have a jacket in easy access for breaks.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

++ New Posts ++