WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

heyo!

I'm new here, so I'll get right to the point. Some friends and I have been planning a thru-hike for almost 2 years now, only to find out today that they are both bailing on me. This has been a dream for me for some time now and I feel as if it's shattering around me. Anyone know any good groups of thru-hikers who plan on going on this adventure in the 2012 season? Or even point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

you don't need a group, its best to start alone and make some friends along the way. whos to say you wouldn't get sick of hiking with your friends from home? if they change thier mind make sure you have your own gear,so you can break away if needed. so many people starting thru's everyday in the peak of the season, then you can pick & choose who to hang with! don't worry about being alone, you won't be :-) unless you choose to camp alone

Journal Entries
    Images

to WB.

As CrumbSnatcher mentioned, there'll be plenty of hikers out there. You may want to sign up on the Registry though. Then send some Private Messages to those starting when you plan to.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    observations

2010 complete

That happened to me in 1980. I went anyway. It was great.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Konbrio View Post
    heyo!

I'm new here, so I'll get right to the point. Some friends and I have been planning a thru-hike for almost 2 years now, only to find out today that they are both bailing on me. This has been a dream for me for some time now and I feel as if it's shattering around me. Anyone know any good groups of thru-hikers who plan on going on this adventure in the 2012 season? Or even point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Just show up at Springer and look at all the other hikers.Only 20-30% will make it all the way.Choose wisely....

Been planning my hike for some time now, never had a desire to do it with someone else. Figure I'll meet people along the way. Stay the course, don't bail because they did.

Quote Originally Posted by mkyd123 View Post
    Been planning my hike for some time now, never had a desire to do it with someone else. Figure I'll meet people along the way. Stay the course, don't bail because they did.
    welcome to WB :-)

The only thing worse is having a friend bail on you and they are the ones that suppose to be sending you your mail drops. Hard to find dependable help.

thanks been stalking this site for the past year. I've been learning alot.

Images

You'll get some good advice here on WB. Seriously, if it's really become that much of a dream why would you let something thats actually so insignificant get in your way? There are multitudes of people out there in spring. There are worse fates than starting alone. Enjoy it!

welcome to WB
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

IMO they did you a huge favor.

Images

never let friends or family talk you out of following your dream. I would hate to die, never knowing "what if?"
    Besides, its highly unlikely you'll be hiking alone,unless you want to be. you'll probably find the company of like minded people with a similar pace, probably more enjoyable than having to wait for/keep up with your freinds.go hike.

Images

DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!!!!!!! you may find that it will be a lot easier to maintain life on the trail only having to deal with your wants and desires...dude, you are 23 years old, you will find an abundance of people out there your age who like much the same things you do and will travel at your speed...think about it...those that are out there, you probably have a bunch of things in common, things like: a sense of adventure...things that run deeper than where your from or what freakin' race or gender you are...the trail next year will be full of great people and tons of new friends...i swear to god, if you give up on your dream, i'll be mad at you! plus, and this is an added bonus, you will be able to meet my awesome weimaraner that will be out there...he's the best!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

don't let a bunch of flakers ruin your plans.

Most people think of the romance of these ideas and don't think about the reality of such situations. People often tell me "oh I wish I could do all the things you do and the countries you've lived in".... fact is they don't really want to do those things otherwise they would!

you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't. Make those slackers regret their decisions for the rest of their lives! ha

you'll meet great friends on the trail.

A suitable quote from Thoreau - "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

I couldn't tell you about good groups of thru-hikers since I'll be going alone but I can point you in the right direction. If you're heading northbound then head to Springer Mountain sometime in March or April and start walking.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's often said that folks who start the trail together, don't usually finish together. Think of the dozens of decision points every day that you'd have to negotiate. When to wake up? Hike first, or breakfast first? What kind of pace? Stop to take pictures of wildflowers, or motor on? Breaks, lunches, How many miles today, when to stop for the day, stealth camp or shelter? Dinner on the trail, or once you make camp? Stop every 4 days in town, or pack more food and hike further? Spend the night in a trail town, or resupply and get back on the trail? Motel or hostel? Frustrations breeds resentments, and one morning you're packed and heading up the trail before your partner is out of their bag. Married couples that are used to making compromises all the time have a hard time of it.

What 10K said, you've been set free. Enjoy it. Hike your own hike. You'll make lots of friends along the way. We'll see you out there.
    Last edited by LDog; 11-04-2011 at 22:40.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

You will only find out who you truly are when you are truly alone. Go solo.

Ok, enough philosophy - You won't have to worry about being alone on the AT during a thruhike (especially a NOBO, unless you start before March or after the end of April).

So, the amended answer is, start solo.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You will meet people EVERY day on the trail. Some will become life long friends. As 10-K so perfectly said "they did you a huge favor" by bailing. See you on the trail.

Images

yeah! for good companionship check out Springer mountain this spring (i think its in georgia), then continue north! youll find good folk to walk and talk with. see you out there. dont quit when your friends bail,

Images

yeah! for good companionship check out Springer mountain this spring (i think its in georgia), then continue north! youll find good folk to walk and talk with. see you out there. dont quit when your friends bail,  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++