WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Girlfriend friendly

My missus will be joining the affray sometime around Harpers Ferry, she's going to join me for approx a week then a week off the trail in NY, DC.

What would be the coolest, easiest, towniest, connectioniest etciest 50 miles or so section around there that would allow the highest probability of a good time had by all. I've seen what can happen on these sorts of trips, pushing the missus too hard. Gonna take it real nice and easy and lug extra camping equipment and food for that part.

Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro? We'll need to shuttle/public transport to and from the trail to DC. Hard section?

Cheers very muchly

Images

Strollingalong. Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro is a relatively easey section of the AT. Their is daily train service from Harpers Ferry to DC, both commuter and Amtrak. If you did a solid 7 days at about 12 miles a day you should be able to reach Pine Grove Furnance and the half way point with no problem. I hike this area regularly, if you have any more questions let me know. Good Luck

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

So are you looking for a section between Harpers Ferry and Waynesboro?

Images

I understand what you are looking for, but frankly, this is a really sexist attitude - your significant other may be looking to do an easy section, but that doesn't mean that all women (like the your "missus") can only handle easy hiking. I hike with a couple of women - regularly that can hold it down with anyone - and I mean anyone -- remember that the current AT Speed Record for ANY PERSON happens to be held by a woman. You could have posed the same question without using such a sexist slant -- just sayin'

Images

I think that Harpers Ferry to Duncannon, PA is easier that Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. Hiking North from Harpers Ferry there is a free shower campground with a great restaurant, hostel, swimming, halfway point on AT, The Doyal Hotel , AT Mid atlantic Office in Boiling Springs, Can get food delivered in Caladonia SP in PA. This whole section is a easier hike than Northern VA (ie. roller coaster). Don't know if she likes Bear or not but there are many in SNP. Once in Duncannon its easy to get a train back to Harpers Ferry/DC or a maybe afree ride from the ride board on this site.

You ARE kidding me, right?! hahahahaha

She's my missus cause I'm British. Eat one. I'm not sexist you giant douche. get off your ridiculously high horse. Am I talking about ALL women? Or a woman who wants to prove she's a hardcore hiker by completing the speed record?!.... or the woman who i love and live with and have done for years. Are you telling me you know my missus more than I? She'll and therefore we'll be happy and have a great time together as she has zero experience hiking.

Are you single? or just that you don't look out for the ones you care for?

you sir, are a chief.

thank you very much for your advice Bloomer and Special K. I meant walking either from HP to Wanyesboro, maybe Fayetteville.... 44.2 and 59.5 miles respectively. That means we could easily do the first option in a week, the second if she's up for more and if she really pulls it out of the bag... Boiling Springs, but 98 miles in a week or so would be pushing it for an absolute novice ( ahem ...Papa D), right? or is this section ridiculously easy?

How long would one need to go from HP to Duncannon with a complete beginner very petite lady without having a huge falling out?! ;D

What about the views in this section. I want to make this trip as stress free, beauty-filled as possible. Cheers again

Images

AI wouldnt call it ridiculously easy, there are a few climbs, nothing more that 500', a larger portion of it is at ridge line. Trails are close to level n in good shape. Northern section of MD you will get into some rocky conditions but nothing to hard.

Not sure where that rant came from Papa D....a tad sensitive eh?

I agree with Bloomer. MD and Southern PA are pretty easy sections. Not much in the way of views in MD, but some alot history along the trail. Nice country too.

Images

There are many comforts along the way as you hike north from Harpers Ferry that is why I sugested it. I have hiked this section many times and find it quite easy and matter of fact it was my first section that I hiked. There are more opportunities to get shuttles on this section if she has had enough. If I had to take a newbe/non-hiker onto the Appalachina Trail, I would do Maryland into PA for a 4 day hike or so. There is lots of history along this route and like I said many comforts. If you spend a week together on the trail there are two hostels, multiple State Parks (real bathrooms), swimming, easy trail, etc... This is the way to go imo... South of Harpers Ferry the trail is a harder hike and not a good start for a newbe. Plus, I think its more $ to get a shuttle in SNP or N, VA back to Harpers Ferry.

Excellent, thank you, Bloomer. That reassures me a lot. We're going for a lot of freedom, she'll be in the states for 15 days or so... a week in the DC and NY and a week(ish) on the trail. Whenever the weathers better those'll be our trail days. I suppose it's pretty warm in June, generally.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My girlfriend (now wife) hiked the 110 miles in 10 days from Duncannon to Harpers Ferry with me after we graduated from college in June 1979. She was a newbie and did fine until I pushed the mileage a bit at the end of the first week and she started to get knee pain. I'd characterize the 50 or so miles north from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry; and Harpers Ferry to about Fayetteville, PA; to be about equal in difficulty.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I understand what you are looking for, but frankly, this is a really sexist attitude - your significant other may be looking to do an easy section, but that doesn't mean that all women (like the your "missus") can only handle easy hiking. I hike with a couple of women - regularly that can hold it down with anyone - and I mean anyone -- remember that the current AT Speed Record for ANY PERSON happens to be held by a woman. You could have posed the same question without using such a sexist slant -- just sayin'
    You may be projecting. Personal experience is the only thing that can be related with authority. He knows his "missus" - most of us don't.

Me, I'm enjoying the aging process. Ebbing testosterone makes honest social interaction with the opposite sex much freer. Being married has always helped me behave, but sometimes improper thoughts would creep in and have to be dealt with. I'm being completely honest, here, as an individual. This is probably more helpful information for the women than the men. It's wonderful not having to put on a "neutered" act to put women at ease. People of all types are generally wonderful and a joy to be around, even moreso, I find, as I get older. I appreciate more, because I know I won't be around for ever.

Wow! Where did that come from?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by strollingalong View Post

you sir, are a chief.
    Explain yourself sir, should I be offended?

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Explain yourself sir, should I be offended?
    haha... sorry, in the UK. It's an insult... means a joker kinda

Images

Gee - I guess I'm sorry for the rant - FYI, I'm married and my wife was hanging out in the den when we read your post. It just sounded funny. What if SHE were to have posted that "my husband will be joining me for a section of the trail and I'd like some suggestions on something easy that he can handle without complaining or whining too much." She is every bit as strong a hiker as most dudes on WB, so maybe I said what I did because I was a little offended on her behalf or maybe I totally misunderstood the post, but I don't like it when guys just assume that ladies can't do everything on the trail a guy can because it is simply not true. Sorry to accuse you of being sexist but it DID sound that way - I'm sure you didn't mean it that way and if I owe you an apology for ranting then it is offered .... ok?
    Oh, hey there Chief!

i don't need an apology, thanks though. Anyway, I was just challenging your crazy politically correct views which end up being more sweeping because you think anyone would want to do everything. Which isn't true.
    I'm sure your wife won't write that because you're an experienced hiker. I wasn't talking about her whining. I just want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Images

I think my views are generally correct - where they coincide with "politically correct views" is generally a coincidence - I'm also sometimes (on rare occasions ) wrong - when I am, I'm quick to poke fun at myself - take anything I post as (often) tongue and cheek - cheers and I do hope you have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++