WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Great Hiker Hostels

We just got back from a 3 day section hike in North Georgia on the AT. Of course we were prepared for overnight low temps n the low 40's. We hiked the first day in temps in the low 30's with high winds and even got snowed on at the top of Blood Mountain. Beautiful no doubt but far to cold facing the night. Temps were expected in the low 20s not counting the wind chill.

So we made it down to Neels Gap and ponied up the money for a bunk at the hostel. FANTASTIC is all I can say. $16 bucks for the bunk and a steaming hot shower.... and a small donation for a great dinner a couple of beers and a wake up to blueberry pancakes and coffee all prepared by Pirate.

AWESOME!

Virginia Tortoise

When I sectioned that area in March, 1999 the hostel at Walasi-Yi was closed. So we hitched down to Goose Creek Cabins. Six of us shared a double wide trailer that had hot showers, cable tv and heat. We even ordered pizza for dinner and had breakfast at that facility. I thought that it was great considering I had to endure a snow storm and 10 degree temps at Woods Hole Shelter the night before

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I had the wine when I stayed. Was grateful for the hot shower. Didn't have dinner there but only because I was invited to dinner with some other hikers I had met. Great deal for the money.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Pirate gives out a lot more than he takes in. Hikers who eat there should be generous when paying for their meals, which many do not.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've missed Pirate every time I have been through there. Supposedly he is a really cool guy, sad that I never got to meet him.

++ New Posts ++