WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default AT and nothing to lose live or die

hi all im super new not yet hit the AT but with in a few weeks ill be out there and try to stay out of trouble and the way of any one out there iv not really hiked for a few to way more years im over 300Lb and out of work dont want to be on the street so iv sold all my stuff and going to find some ambition
    i plan on doing this for a few months starting in a few weeks iv backpacked before so i know what it in-tales and know this is going to make me or break me im not backing down. just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow! I don't know where to start with the advise. Don't know where you are getting on the trail, but wherever you start you must consider the following for starters.
    You will need, a tent, a good sleeping bag rated for at least 10 degrees, proper clothing, ( don't bring cotton stuff) , something to carry water in and something to eat. Make sure you tell someone where you attend to hike and for how long you will be out. This time of year the weather can change rapidly. Be prepaired for the worse and hope for the best. Good luck and I wish you happy trails.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

kookork reborn lol
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

i will not be alone this is me and my lady we dont realy have much money about 120 for packs 40-50 for sleep bags we have food stamps about 360 so food will be covered we got a tent head lights water pur tabes, hike boots . i dont know if theres a site that can help give me a super list of what will be needed but if there is that would be great

oh yeah ill be headed out of nc north wards to maine

donen't not ferget yer dog
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

By the way, if I lived close to B's BBQ I just might weigh close to 300 lbs.

Images

So you say that you're planing to "do this" for a few months . By my calculations you talking till late December ,early January -- correct ?
    Do you have a down winter bag with temp ratings to 15 degees ? Winter insulated base layers ? What about pack load that you're not accustomed to carrying . plans? --bail-out plan ?

I'd strongly suggest you consider hiking with a seasoned hiker for the sake of safety .
    **This is important so listen up .
    At over 300lb have you seen your doctor recently for a complete physical exam ?

In your post above there was the part about giving opinions on staying alive , etc. .... the idea of hiking is all good and well , but listen to the advice given above and you will survive my friend.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

AT has allways just been a dream to me for a long time now but with about to just be a hobo why not make a amazing thing come to life nothing holding me back

I'm sorry you are finding yourself in such a difficult place, Thomas.

Given what you've posted, I fear you and your lady are a rescue waiting to happen. Living for a period of time in the backcountry in the winter is pretty tricky and requires some decent gear, knowledge and some good luck. If you hang out in a shelter for more than a few days, it's likely some official will come by and require you to move on. If you head out to the more remote shelters, you may find yourselves trapped by weather for a couple of days and unable to get to town to re-supply. Will you have enough food and fuel to get through a situation like that? Can you keep warm 24hours a day? I know people who live on the street, it's very hard--but living on the AT in the winter can be a lot harder (if simpler and statistically safer).

I'm not in your shoes, but I don't think you have a good plan--unless you are a lot more experienced than your initial post indicates.

Cosmo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmbass View Post
    just want to hear some ideas on how to stay alive and etc.
    Don't Go. I'm certain that is not what you wanted to hear. And, I'm not trying to be negative or discouraging or mean or anything other than realistic.

I don't know you or anything about your abilities but your three posts lead me to believe you are very inexperienced with cold weather and what to expect. It will be COLD and it will be very COLD. It has probably already been in the teens on Roan recently (and that is not including wind chill).

Being 300# you will likely not make many daily miles (at least initially). Which means lots of time sitting around in the cold.

Maybe consider a different trail, somewhere in the South where temps might be more favorable.

Just my .02. At any rate, to WB. Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    observations

iv got my lady that wants to do it with me so im not alone but health all and all im ok 2 heart surgery s and still strong i walk about 10 miles if not more a day with out a job cant have a car lol warm gear i haz i dont know if i can get any thing under a 40 degree sleep bag but i can improvise

iv not really hiked for a few to way more years
    I am wondering what the definition of "a few to way more years" is for a 22 year old. I also wonder whether the OP lives under a bridge.

One thing to consider is there won't be many/any folks on the trail to help you if you get in a jam. That said, the AT is certainly a good place to get in shape and lose weight. You will need some sort of trail guide. Military surplus gear is cheap and durable but a little heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Don't Go. I'm certain that is not what you wanted to hear. And, I'm not trying to be negative or discouraging or mean or anything other than realistic.

I don't know you or anything about your abilities but your three posts lead me to believe you are very inexperienced with cold weather and what to expect. It will be COLD and it will be very COLD. It has probably already been in the teens on Roan recently (and that is not including wind chill).

Being 300# you will likely not make many daily miles (at least initially). Which means lots of time sitting around in the cold.

Maybe consider a different trail, somewhere in the South where temps might be more favorable.

Just my .02. At any rate, to WB. Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    observations
    I'll have to agree with MS the AT is for backpackers not Hobos.If you do make it to a shelter be prepared to spend a lot of time gathering wood.Due to the recent trend more people are taking up backpacking and firewood is scarce near most shelters.This time of year you can have a peaceful evening and wake up to high winds blowing right into the shelter.A Wally World tent won't last in mountian weather.As for sleeping bags anything less than a good quality bag you'll end up being cold all night.I don't like to discourage anyone from hiking but you must be well prepared to deal with winter even in the "Southern" mountians.When I go out I'm carrying about a thousand bucks worth of gear counting boots,pack,tent,stove,rain gear& other stuff.You just can't make 1 trip to Wally World& then hit the trail.It takes lots of research& gear shopping to enjoy the mountians in winter....

i will not be alone this is me and my lady we dont realy have much money about 120 for packs 40-50 for sleep bags we have food stamps about 360 so food will be covered we got a tent head lights water pur tabes, hike boots . i dont know if theres a site that can help give me a super list of what will be needed but if there is that would be great
    The smart Rainbow people head South (to FL) for the winter. If you insist on running around the country in the winter I suggest you do the same. Heading to Maine in the winter? Huh!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

... out of work dont want to be on the street so iv sold all my stuff and going to find some ambition
    Going off hiking to escape from life's problems isn't ambitious.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you cleared medically to do this?
    Going out in the dead of winter without the proper gear, $$ and little idea what you are getting into is not my idea of fun. And with your limited budget it will make it even tougher. I'd wait, get a job with some money under your belt and go when its warmer.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

heed all the advice given here. dont go.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++