WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Help

Default Help

I'm planning a 14 hiking trip for this summer but im hitting a wall because my mom is not suporting me in this trip any ideas on how i can overcome this obstical?

Images

How is she not supporting you with this trip? Not at all? Refusing to give permission? I'm sure we can help, but, you need to be more specific. Is your Mom an obstical? Maybe you could start by putting her on a pedistal.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

14 days? 14 states? You're only 17. It's understandable that your mother is not supporting you. (Not that all mothers would not, but certainly some.) At this point, you have to decide if you have the resources to do it once you're 18, or if you still depend on your parents for support in other areas of your life - and want to risk losing that support if you go ahead with your hike. Only you can make that decision. You might want to show your planned details, and convince them that you're mature enough to handle it. If they still don't support you, then the thing to do would be to defer the hike until you're older.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

its 14 days sorry for any confusion but she wont let me go because it would be out of the country i have the financial ability to go its that i would need a passport and she wont let me get one and i will not be hiking by myself but with a large group with people trained in first aid

Images

guess you gotta wait till your 18. then you can get a passport with or without her consent. it takes about a month to get and cost a lil over $100, you can also spend about $50 more to get it asap.

Images

your biggest obstacle is that you are 17, you gotta show responsibility and respect that she is very concerned about a)you hiking b)you leaving the country, you need to earn both her trust in you and the group you are going with.
    prove to her that you know what you are doing, show you have done your research and will be able to handle various situations. also if your mom knows/can meet anyone that you are going with on the trip, to show that there is a responsible, knowledgable person that will be there with you.

now if this is a trip with a bunch of other 17yrs olds, no responsible adult supervision and its poorly planned then forget about it and take the above advice of waiting till you are 18...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I agree. Big mistake to just blow your mom off. For starters, you have a lot of life in front of you and a hiking trip is not "do or die" even though you really want to go. And you do need parental consent to leave the country before you're 18 and from my own personal experience it's for your own safety. Show respect to your mom and just wait a few years. If you have the money, put it in the bank and use it for a trip a summer in college or right after before you have to get a job. I spent the summer after college trapsing around Europe and it was great! So just chill, hike locally, and take the big trip later on.

Images

Doc Mike ... Is that you again?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

any reason why you couldnt hike right here in the good old USA? Have you thought of maybe hiking a section of the , um, uh, appalachian trail?I would think mom would be a lttle more supportive if you stay here. by the way, you might want to keep in mind the laws and rights that protect you over here dont apply oince you leave our soil.

++ New Posts ++