WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Budget 0-degree UL sleeping bags?

Can yall give me a lead on a reasonably priced 0-degree UL sleeping bag? I am confused by all the choices. Thanks!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

a. cheap
    b. warm
    c. lightweight
    pick 2.

Hammock gear's 0deg Burrow is probably one or the lightest and cheapest at $254 and 27 oz.
    Other reccomendations:
    Jacks R Better High Seirra Snivvler ~$380
    WM Antelpoe $540 45 oz

Is there a 0 degree ultralight bag? Budget and ultralight are not generaly associated.

flemdog, those are pricey. I need something I can afford. Yall be nice, I'm doing my best.

If I cannot afford an UL bag, then what would you recommend.

Kelty Cosmic down 0 degree, 3 lbs. 11 oz., ~120 bucks on campmor

Quote Originally Posted by Calculator View Post
    Kelty Cosmic down 0 degree, 3 lbs. 11 oz., ~120 bucks on campmor
    Thanks, I will look that up.

Ok, I am looking at the kelty Cosmic bag on the Campmor website, this is much more affordable. Thanks!

Generally, budget bags which are lightweight (3#11oz. is very light) for a synthetic filled zero degree bag) are not as warm as they say they are. Add to that the fact that synthetic insulation packs down (degrades, flattens) much more quickly than down, your 0 degree bag (which may really be a 15 degree bag) will probably end up being a 25 degree bag in less than a year of regular use (and, no, it doesn't get any lighter as it loses its loft and warmth).

I'm hoping to beat Lone Wolf to the punch here - try

Campmor down bags. About as inexpensive as a good down bag can be, and they are actually fairly accurately rated (that's why they appear heavier than you would like them to be at that price and temp. rating).

www.campmor.com

I just checked out the Kelty bag. Seems to be ok, especially since it's down, but I prefer nylon shell fabric to polyester. It's a bit stronger. The issue with either bag may be the weave of the fabric. If it's not woven tightly the down may poke through here and there (it might anyway, even some expensive bags lose a feather here and there, and it's actually the pin feathers, mixed with the down that you will lose, not a big deal).
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-25-2011 at 19:02.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Post deleted, no new info.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-25-2011 at 19:06.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

marmot never summer
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

keep an eye on the steep and Cheap one deal at a time webite. I bought a 20* bag there last year at a reassonable price. < $100. The brand they put out there was an off brand called Stoic. Warm, light with 550 or 600 down fill. Don't know if it will go the distance, 10 yrs or so but so far so good.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    flemdog, those are pricey. I need something I can afford. Yall be nice, I'm doing my best.
    Like I siad above you can have 2 of the 3:
    Cheap, lightweight or warm.
    Cheap bags are rarely warm as they say, if they are accurately rated they're heavier than the expensive ones (due to cheaper fills being heavier than the 800-900 PF down the expensive ones use.)

I think the cheapest and lightest bag is the Hammock Gear quilt. $250 is dirt cheap compared to a $500 WM bag.

The following is NOT 0 degrees, or UL, but it is cheap, not super heavy, and warm. The Women's Eureka Casper 15 is a synthetic weighing 2 lbs 11 oz and available on amazon for under $100. I own one and have taken it down to 20 degrees in a hammock (generally colder than a tent) quite cozily. With clothes on in the bag I believe I could easily sleep down to or even below it's rating. It's 5'4 so fits much more snugly on a woman than a mans bag would. Not a lot of room to bring your gear into the bag with you, but there's not all that extra air space to try and keep warm either. Because it's shorter it's lighter than a men's, too.

I just thought I'd mention it in case it fits your needs for size/warmth. Remember that many bags have a fudge factor on the rating and a real 15 degree bag is warmer than a lieing 0 degree one.

Images

I have the Kelty 0 degree bag, bought at the outfitters in Elijay, GA on sale. It is warm and comfy for me.

Kelty makes decent bags that are not super expensive. I carried a Lightyear down 40 and it keep me comfortable down to 20 if I put on hat, fleece and down booties. The fleece I am carrying anyway. Bag weighs around 2 pounds and comes in women's variety.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Like I siad above you can have 2 of the 3:
    Cheap, lightweight or warm.
    Cheap bags are rarely warm as they say, if they are accurately rated they're heavier than the expensive ones (due to cheaper fills being heavier than the 800-900 PF down the expensive ones use.)

I think the cheapest and lightest bag is the Hammock Gear quilt. $250 is dirt cheap compared to a $500 WM bag.

In my world, $250. is not dirt cheap. Lucky you.

I was looking in Campmor about a month ago and couldn't find ANY Campmor down bags...are they still producing them?
    The Kelty is a great bag for the money. I bought a 0* sometypeoflite Kelty for a friend of mine last year in her correct womens size. She is a cold sleeper but hasn't been cold in it yet while winter camping and it seems to be holding up great.....bonus $249 msrp...on sale in Campmor for $139...just keep looking. Also the Campmor bags are the bargain of the month if they still make them.

geek

You didn't state whether you are planning a thru hike or not. If you are just looking for a winter bag for occassional hiking and camping then there are alot more answers.....a 2 1/2 pound 0* bag would be nice for a thru hike but a 3 1/2 pound 0* bag will work good for car camping and occassional weekend backpacking trips.

geek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++