WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok, so I was looking for basically the same thing. 0 degree, lightweight and cheap. And the previous entries are right, you can get 2 of the 3, but not really all 3.

So my choice was between the Kelty Cosmic 0 degree down and the Cabela's XPG Escapist down bag. The cabela's bag is only a 15 degree bag, not a 0 degree, but it looked like it had more down fill weight-wise, and was 600 fill, not kelty's 550, so it might be equal or warmer than the kelty? The XPG is also downproof and water-resistant with a 40-denier ripstop nylon shell. Some of the Kelty reviews I read on the Cosmic stated that the down did poke through the lining, and it was not water-resistant. And the XPG is under $100 on clearance (2010 model). The only downside for me was that the XPG bag came in at 4 lbs.

Not sure if 4lbs for a 15 degree bag is a good or bad thing, but the current 20 degree synthetic bag I have is only 3lbs, so I'm going to stick with that and test it out this winter. If it doesn't keep me warm, then I'll find something to replace it with at that point.

I'm not saying go with either bag, I'm just curious if some experieced winter camper on this forum could look at the Cabela bag and give their opinion? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Images

Will you actually be sleeping in 0 degrees? That's hard to manage without either spending lots of money or carrying lots of weight. If what you want is to be warmer at 20F than your 20F bag makes you, did you use enough insulation under you?

chaco's Cabela 15F bag looks like it might actually be good for 15F.
    I doubt the Campmor bag will work at 0, but I haven't tried it.

There are standards now (EN comfort rating, etc.) but many companies don't use it. Mountain Hardwear's Lamina 0F bag has an EN comfort rating of +27F http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Ultr...efault,pd.html The MH bag is 3 lb 5 oz and gets good reviews, but probably won't work close to 0F. To really get down to 0 for cheap, you're probably going to need a 5 or 6 lb synthetic bag. One trick is to use two sleeping bags, one inside the other. It can work if the outer bag is big enough that you're not compressing the insulation of the inner one.

Don't forget that you need insulation under you also. For 0F, most single sleeping pads aren't enough. The cheap way to go would be two full length foam pads. For 20F a single foam pad is warm enough for me, but an uninsulated air mattress won't do.

Journal Entries
    Images

The one piece of gear not to skimp on is a sleeping bag. And, unfortunately, good sleeping bags are not cheap. As flemdawg mentioned the criteria you specified do NOT go together. My suggestion would be to get a good sleeping bag to begin with. If you get a cheapo/budget one you may find yourself freezing in GA and then subsequently purchasing another one at Neels Gap anyway (or ending your hike). Spending way more than you anticipated because now you'll have two bags. As long as you take care of your bag it should last you a long time making the expense worth it (not to mention the fact that a good sleeping bag will likely keep you warm, as well).

(My bag suggestion would be for something from Western Mountaineering, but they are no where near cheap . . . )

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    observations

Well, I ordered my bag last night from Campmor.

I decided to go with the Kelty Cosmic 20* bag. With shipping, it was under $100. I will test it out if we have cold weather and see if I can stay warm in it. Thanks for all your help.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43185
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Get a good 20*-30* bag and wear your cold weather gear when you sleep.

That's an option....

10-K, thanks but if you look at the post right above yours, you will see that I ordered a bag last night
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Tex - the Mt. Hardwear Ultralamina 0 might fit the bill, hubby and I each just bought one, it doesn't feel like the advertised 3 lb, 5 oz. Currently on sale for $169.95 . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Whoops! Didn't check the post dates . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++