Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you have one close by, go to an Army surplus store. You can get some warm stuff (lots of wool) for cheap.

I particularly like the wool watch caps which keeps my head warm even when it's wet. Usually $2-$3 each. I have a drawer full of them.. (well, maybe 5.. ).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley1985 View Post
    Wow what a lot of information! So far the weather says we're looking at 40's for lows at night. A have a thermarest but it isn't full length (mistake I know!) Unfortunately cash is a big holdback for me being better prepped but maybe a balaclava and some booties will be worth the cash. I do wish I could manage a test run - hopefully I can just bear through it!
    another trick i do for the feet, is if you have a down jacket or vest, lay it over the feet area of your sleeping bag, it helps too
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

get a colder rating sleeping bag, and eat high fat foot before bed. Bring hand warmers too, pop a few in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Worked for me in 0 degree weather.

Images

... A have a thermarest but it isn't full length (mistake I know!) Unfortunately cash is a big holdback for me being better prepped but maybe a balaclava and some booties will be worth the cash. ...
    This is year old thread, but as TipiWalter says this comes up a lot.

You need insulation underneath your whole body, but that doesn't need to be your mattress. You can put extra clothes or your pack under your feet or as a pillow. A nice way to do it is to bring a short length of foam pad (cheap at walmart) for your feet and also as a warm seat when sitting on cold ground for lunch.

When it's really cold you need two layers of insulation underneath you, a thermarest plus full length foam pad. You shouldn't need this above about 20F.

My wife is extremely cold blooded, and we live/backpack primarily in the northern Canadian Rockies (Jasper, and into BC). Most nights are right around freezing - even during the height of summer because we tend to be at higher elevations then.

Here's what she needs to be comfortable (this is her standard 3 season gear for sleeping - July/August included):
    Western Mountaineering Lynx Sleeping Bag
    Exped Down Mat 7
    Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 2 Lightweight Crew
    Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 3 Midweight Crew
    Jacket - Patagonia R2 Jacket (Fleece)
    Long Underwear - Patagonia Capilene 4 Expedition Weight Bottoms
    Marmot Precip Rain Pants
    Balaclava - Outdoor Research Sonic Balaclava
    Toque - Outdoor Research Transcendent Beanie
    Gloves - MEC Windpro 2 Gloves (Fleece)
    Socks - Wigwam Ultimax Hiking/Outdoor Pro Crew (#F6077)
    Socks - MEC Polar Feet Fleece Socks

This is what she wears to bed just to stay relatively comfortable - and some nights it still takes awhile for her to warm up.

Oh ... on top of this we also sleep in a Bibler Eldorado Tent - which is essentially wind proof. If she feels the slightest breeze during the night, she will get cold. Any standard three season tent with mesh walls is a tough for most nights because of the wind.

My advice if you're in a similar boat is to spend the money and get the gear - otherwise you'll never be happy with the quality of your sleep, and then you won't be happy with backpacking.

We're planning for AT 2015 - leaving in late Feb or March 1. The gear above is what she will be starting out with (substitute for the tent only) - until we get a better handle on what temps you folks have down in GA that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by BCPete View Post
    My wife is extremely cold blooded, and we live/backpack primarily in the northern Canadian Rockies (Jasper, and into BC). Most nights are right around freezing - even during the height of summer because we tend to be at higher elevations then.

Here's what she needs to be comfortable (this is her standard 3 season gear for sleeping - July/August included):
    Western Mountaineering Lynx Sleeping Bag
    Exped Down Mat 7
    Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 2 Lightweight Crew
    Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 3 Midweight Crew
    Jacket - Patagonia R2 Jacket (Fleece)
    Long Underwear - Patagonia Capilene 4 Expedition Weight Bottoms
    Marmot Precip Rain Pants
    Balaclava - Outdoor Research Sonic Balaclava
    Toque - Outdoor Research Transcendent Beanie
    Gloves - MEC Windpro 2 Gloves (Fleece)
    Socks - Wigwam Ultimax Hiking/Outdoor Pro Crew (#F6077)
    Socks - MEC Polar Feet Fleece Socks

This is what she wears to bed just to stay relatively comfortable - and some nights it still takes awhile for her to warm up.

Oh ... on top of this we also sleep in a Bibler Eldorado Tent - which is essentially wind proof. If she feels the slightest breeze during the night, she will get cold. Any standard three season tent with mesh walls is a tough for most nights because of the wind.

My advice if you're in a similar boat is to spend the money and get the gear - otherwise you'll never be happy with the quality of your sleep, and then you won't be happy with backpacking.

We're planning for AT 2015 - leaving in late Feb or March 1. The gear above is what she will be starting out with (substitute for the tent only) - until we get a better handle on what temps you folks have down in GA that time of year.
    Thanks for posting this 3 season list for someone cold blooded. I too feel the cold more as I get older and my winter list is similar to her 3 season list---

WM Puma sleeping bag
    Exped downmat 9
    Shirt---Icebreaker 260 zipneck thumbhole merino top
    Shirt---Icebreaker 320 merino top over the 260.
    Jacket---Feathered Friends Icefall parka---sounds overkill with 15oz of goose down but keeps me alive on long trips.
    Long Underwear---Icebreaker midweight merino bottoms.
    OR goretex rainpants.
    Balaclava---Icebreaker merino.
    Toque---Turtle Fur fleece.
    Gloves---Two pair $5 walmart fleece.
    Socks---Two pair Smartwool Mountaineering---thickest they make.

PLUS my Arcteryx goretex rain jacket literally keeps me alive in terrible conditions i.e. butt cold rains at 35F.

If you can afford it buy a military issue 3 piece sleep system rated extreme cold and sleep with only bra and panties or less. You can pick one up used it excellent condition from and army surplus for around 160 . I am like you and get cold very easily also, My son who is in the army recommeded this to me it works great. An added bonus is since its a 3 piece system you can take wamer parts out when its hot. It was hard to believe it would be warmer sleeping in only underware but I tested it myself. I froze when I had clothes on and felt much warmer when I slept without them.

Images

For a shorter hike, try using toe heaters/foot/body warmer packs. They are not reusable, but they have saved my butt a few times. If I can keep my feet and legs warm, my body usually stays warm. Wear a hat, even if you use the sleeping bag hood. Use a neck gaiter, it will warm the air you are breathing and help keep moisture out of your sleeping bag. Be sure to have enough insulation under you. A regular neoair and many other pads are only rated to 30 degrees, so will most likely keep you comfortable to 40 degrees. Are you using a tent? I ask because you will sleep warmer in a tent than in one of the shelters. Eat something high in protein and fat right before bedtime. Your body will generate a lot of heat while digesting them, so you will start you night warm. It is easier to stay warm than get warm. Yes, peeing whenever you need to will also help.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Images

Have you seen Columbia's omni-heat? I was checking it out today. It looks interesting. Columbia has a down vest with omni-heat on sale for $49.

Journal Entries
    Images

minda, I picked up a pair of those pants last week.The fit is good,but don't know if I can hike in them due to being to hot,but I'll see March 08. On the sleeping bag,Im a cold sleeper too. On my last hike it was 22*-27* at night and I use my marmot helium membrain 850 fill along with my base layer and dry socks/goose dwon booties. I got warm all over but my feet!!!!I took my Down jacket put it inside over my feet,still cold,so I chg the down jacket out and put my fleece jacket inside my bag and around my feet,with in 10mins i was VERY warm the rest of the night.

Images

I saw the pants yesterday at gander mountain & wondered how they would work. I loved the down jacket I tried on, but I'm not looking for a jacket. I saw that they have the sleeping bags with the omni-heat. Anyone try one f those? I'd feel like a baked potato.

I'm a fairly newish hiker/backpacker and I'm a big weenie when it comes to being chilly. I'm pretty small (ie no added insulation) and get cold really easily. I hate that this holds me back for camping when the weather starts to get cooler. I have a Northface Cats Meow women sythetic mummy bag with at 20 degree rating but even fully dressed (thermals, pants sweater etc) I just get too cold to sleep. I've thought about getting a liner but think I would just tangle my feet in it, and haven't heard that they do much good anyway. Any other ideas for staying warm when you're a skinny girl? I know there is a lot of gear out there but I'm worried about added wieght in my pack since I also hike with my dog and carry items for her. I've thought about getting a second sleeping bag to put inside mine... thoughts?
    Hi Paisley, I don't know you or how you do it, therefore forgive me if what I say is absolute basics. First and foremost have dry clothes for the night. No matter how dry it appears to be, if you hiked in your clothes during the day and than was sitting through the evening, it's probably damp. For that reason, wearing your outer layers also might be counterproductive. Put a solid clothed cell pad (Walmart has them for $7 - blue rolls in camping section) under. Warm up before you go to bed and definitely get some hearty food (hiking is not a place to count calories). If it's not too cold when you just get into bed, open it up (to prevent moisture build up in your bag) - and it should not be too cold just when you get into it. Don't breath inside the bag. Cover your head with a beanie, or some kind of hat (or some sleeping bags have hoodie)

I think having a bivvy around your sleeping bag (or cover it from outside with your jacket, or roll into a tarp / space blanket) would add a lot to sleeping rating - if there's no wind, there's no wind chill. Another non-breathable layer inside your bag (emergency bag) will make it even warmer (but you might get wet, so there're pros and cons of using it).

Also, you've mentioned your bag is rated for 20F. This is "survival" rating, the "comfort" rating is most likely somewhere 32F. These ratings are for men, most women tend to need more, so treat 32F as "survival" and expect to see comfort at 40F+.

And make sure your tent is not mesh, or at least have a full rain fly which can reach to the ground. Otherwise, wind will take all the warmth generated by you. Make sure your tent isn't too big - if you sleep alone in the tent, don't carry 4-persons tent, it'll be just too big to warm up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by fizz3499 View Post
    If you can afford it buy a military issue 3 piece sleep system rated extreme cold and sleep with only bra and panties or less. You can pick one up used it excellent condition from and army surplus for around 160 . I am like you and get cold very easily also, My son who is in the army recommeded this to me it works great. An added bonus is since its a 3 piece system you can take wamer parts out when its hot. It was hard to believe it would be warmer sleeping in only underware but I tested it myself. I froze when I had clothes on and felt much warmer when I slept without them.
    Just be aware that the military sleeping bag system weighs about twelve pounds.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Elkie is right. The cats meow is rated at 20, but the comfort rating is 34. You can look at the specs on REIs website. Always use the EN comfort rating when purchasing a new bag. It's much more accurate. Marmot, North Face, Sierra Designs, and some others will always rate. I have yet to see Big Agnes with EN ratings and that makes me afraid to buy one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++