WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Do you consider thru hiking of the AT with a dog a solo attempt?

There are two major category in AT thru hiking. Solo and in a group.

How should we categorize a thru hiking with a dog? a solo attempt just like a hiker that has been hiking alone ? or a group effort or another name like: Human/canine thru hikers? Is it harder, is it easier. You give them more credit or less . Do you think hiking with a dog increases the chance of finishing or decrases it?

Images

Decreases the probability of finishing. A dog requires a hiker to: carry more weight, care for the dog, and even carry the dog at times, but mostly, dogs can get injured pretty easily, especially paws and nails.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Where did you come up with that?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Decreases the probability of finishing. A dog requires a hiker to: carry more weight, care for the dog, and even carry the dog at times, but mostly, dogs can get injured pretty easily, especially paws and nails.
    Carry more weight= yes , care of the dog= ok yes( it is nothing in geneal but it is something so ok. carry the dog at time= ok but it is minutes if not seconds to carry your dog and not real physical challenge but sometimes dangerous so ok
    Injury of the dog= No, if you find a dog bleeding in paws it is because they are not used to walk daily. I have never ever had any injury of my dog more than a few abrasions on his face for couple of days. We hopefully are talking about tail dogs not a funki pinki toy dog. Tral dogs are made to walk for miles and miles. the same with nails, they are made for wlking tens of miles a day naturally but overally all you said makes sense except the conclusion.

Dogs add extra pressure on physical aspect of the jurney correct but their company is a real bonus to keep hikers sane and rational. Their presence brings a factor to the table that you should be a guy like me that has done both with and without to appreciate the simple but profound difference of these two.

So overally , It adds to physical challenge but helps in mental part. dog is a good moderator of the hiker for some reasons.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Where did you come up with that?
    Please, You bring your major category to compare. But lets say you say to one of your non hiker friends that hey I
    hiked the appalachian trail. do you think his or her first question is : Northbound or southbound??? or in winter or summer?? I think they ask : alone or with a group? because it is a major category but i am totally open to your poential category my dear friend .

Images

I love my dog too much to ever try to take him on a long hike. A few things to consider: snakes, porcupines, skunks, falls, getting lost chasing critters, ticks, flys, there are probably more. Just isn't worth it to me for the sake of having the company.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I love my dog too much to ever try to take him on a long hike. A few things to consider: snakes, porcupines, skunks, falls, getting lost chasing critters, ticks, flys, there are probably more. Just isn't worth it to me for the sake of having the company.
    Fair enough sir . I never had the luxury of having anybody to take care of my dog but even if I did he loves to be with me,Heaven or HELL period.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    and MOST of those things to consider can be controled by keeping them on a dog leash !!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by silverscuba22 View Post
    and MOST of those things to consider can be controled by keeping them on a dog leash !!
    I am against keeping my dog in long distance hikings on leash. believe it or not hikers are very prone to accidents when attached to a dog. dangeous both for dog and hiker and not practical lets be honest manyof these dogs better to be on leash to keep them from hurting ecosystem. Real reward is when you have a dog that is trained to ike a trail totally off leash.

If you hike with a dog, is it truly a solo hike, I mean in a purist sense??
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    If you hike with a dog, is it truly a solo hike, I mean in a purist sense??
    depends on whether you finish with the dog.
    theres a few forums about taking your dog on a thru, and its not an easy decision. as many have noted, a dog will follow its owner wherever its owner wants to go, sometimes beyond the point of exhaustion, and some have decided a dog is best left home.Although I do love dogs, i dont own one, so I dont know what my decision would be, but I did run into a SOBO last year at gentian pond that just finished taking her dog thru the mahoosucs, and the pup wasnt looking too good. you know your dog better than i do, so i wouldnt pass judgement, just to think it through carefully before bringing him along.I would still consider it a solo, but im no ppurist. the world is shades of gray.

How should we categorize a thru hiking with a dog? a solo attempt just like a hiker that has been hiking alone ?
    Yes.

Do you think hiking with a dog increases the chance of finishing or decrases it?
    Decreases.

But lets say you say to one of your non hiker friends that hey I
    hiked the appalachian trail. do you think his or her first question is : Northbound or southbound??? or in winter or summer?? I think they ask : alone or with a group?
    I think the answer is usually (1.) what or where is that?, or (2.) How long did it take?

Journal Entries
    Images

The first question to ask yourself is; Am I serious about doing a thru-hike? If you just feel like experiencing the AT and are not dedicated to compleating a thru, than by all means consider bringing along your dog for your enjoyment.
    If you are serious about doing a thru-hike than you must leave the dog home. Bring a dog on a thru and you will have additional problems to cope with.
    Of all the folks who start a thru-hike only about 20% complete their hike. That means that 80% did not finish for some reason or other. Add a dog into that equation and , in my estimation, only about 2% whol start with a dog and finish with a dog will complete their thru-hike.
    I also think that quite a few folks start a thru-hike not in a group or with pre arranged partner. These folks do their home work, come prepaired as best as they can and start the trail solo. Many, if not most, will meet others to hike with and hike most of the way with them off and on.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Solo or group hike. Even solo hikers at some point in time are hiking or sleeping at shelters with other groups.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes for both.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Yes.

Decreases.

I think the answer is usually (1.) what or where is that?, or (2.) How long did it take?
    First of all thank you. you are the only person who gave me an answer to all questions.

About what you think wiould be their first question. You are right, the first two questions they may ask would be your suggesitions and then the third or even fourth might be my suggestion. It does not change the categories though since the first two questions does not have two options.what or where is that has only one explanation and how long did it take? comes with one number but my question always can have two answers. either you will say solo or in a group.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    The first question to ask yourself is; Am I serious about doing a thru-hike? If you just feel like experiencing the AT and are not dedicated to compleating a thru, than by all means consider bringing along your dog for your enjoyment.
    If you are serious about doing a thru-hike than you must leave the dog home. Bring a dog on a thru and you will have additional problems to cope with.
    Of all the folks who start a thru-hike only about 20% complete their hike. That means that 80% did not finish for some reason or other. Add a dog into that equation and , in my estimation, only about 2% whol start with a dog and finish with a dog will complete their thru-hike.
    I also think that quite a few folks start a thru-hike not in a group or with pre arranged partner. These folks do their home work, come prepaired as best as they can and start the trail solo. Many, if not most, will meet others to hike with and hike most of the way with them off and on.
    The best person who can put an end into this is a hiker who has done two thru, one with and the second whithout a dog. But i dont think we might find one here. It is totally understandable that hikers think the presence of a dog (even a good well trained trail dog) decreases the chance of succes. I had te same assumption when I started hiking but I found it different. adds to physical challenge but helps in mental and overally it almost breaks even.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Solo or group hike. Even solo hikers at some point in time are hiking or sleeping at shelters with other groups.
    Ok good point here. do you consider this group that hike with a group let me sya half of the way ,do you consider his attempt solo like tha guy that has been solo all the time all the way?

The group/solo thing makes very little sense to me. Most hikers start the trail alone, all but a few will hike in a 'group' even if only a loose confederation of friends. If you finish your thruhike "solo" then you must have taken a wrong turn in GA and were offblaze the whole way.

Logistically, I'm sure hiking with a dog is more difficult. There are just certain places that dogs are not welcome. Be prepared to use your tent rather than the shelters. Be prepared to put the dogs welfare far above your own hiking ambitions. So, yeah, I guess it would decrease your chances of success. I would get him or her out in the woods on a longish hike and see how he does. I guess so much of it depends on the dog.

Even with all the negatives, I think having a dog would be great company on a long hike and have enjoyed hiking with those who have had them. Well, I have enjoyed hiking with those whose dogs were well trained and well behaved. (and Labdads pups if he is reading, lol)

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Glo-Worm

I think this is a cute question and folks are taking it a little too seriously

I think it comes down to the dog owner, because if your dog is people, then it's not a solo hike, but if your dog is a dog, then it is.

Personaly, I think you'd be more likely to finish because you wouldn't get as lonely if you had your dog with you. It's a bit more work, but it pays off in companionship and as we know, long distance hiking is so much more mental than physical.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++