WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The more I learn about dogs, the more I would like to be able to lick my own crotch.

scratch that read wrong there allowed at campgrounds picnic areas and on two trails Gatlinburg Trail and Oconaluftee River Trail my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13 View Post
    Hahaha, this is awesome!
    I actually thought about trying something like this, but had no idea how to get started... Definitely gonna look into this! might actually try to legitimately get her a canine good citizen or something...
    But good looking out, thanks!
    Please don't use this. It uses ESA (emotional support animal) as a loophole to avoid service dog training.

I actually have a prescribed ESA for very real reasons, and I will be leaving my dog in a kennel in the smokies. It gives the dog a chance to rest and will give me a break from worrying about my dog during one of the colder snowier parts of my hike. Not to mention that although I do feel I need him most of the time, it's not to the extent that I would take advantage of his service dog status to get around the rules (I'm not blind or prone to seizures or any other life threatening situation).

Journal Entries
    Images

Let's face the facts folks. 80% of the hikers who claim to attempt to thru-hike fail. Now put a dog into the equation and the odds are more like 95% don't finish with the dog. So if you are serious about doing a thru-hike than leave your dog home.
    During my thru-hike I met only one hiker with a dog that finished. I have been a voulenter caretaker at the AMC cabin at Upper Goose Pond for the last 14 years. I have yet to have a thru-hiker stop with a dog. Section hikers yes. A thru-hiker no.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Don't let negative comments stop you, I've already seen many dogs this year in southern Mass. going northbound, Dogs are better than people any day, I'd love to set up trail magic for dogs someday - I always keep some jerky treats for them.

My lab does not do well in the heat, So much of my trail time is in the cooler weather.

Gee I wish I could have gotten some info about taking my dog through the parts that dogs aren't allowed on but this thread is just mean!

Quote Originally Posted by JetandBugandRen View Post
    Gee I wish I could have gotten some info about taking my dog through the parts that dogs aren't allowed on but this thread is just mean!
    "Mother Nature doesn't care."
    HYOH

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by JetandBugandRen View Post
    It's against the user agreement to tell you how to perform an illegal act, like getting your dog through parts of the trail where dogs aren't allowed. And if that is your intent, I hope you get caught, fined and thrown out of said areas.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's against the user agreement to tell you how to perform an illegal act, like getting your dog through parts of the trail where dogs aren't allowed. And if that is your intent, I hope you get caught, fined and thrown out of said areas.
    I believe he meant that he was looking for advice on viable alternatives for how to get past the three "no dogs allowed" areas on the (shuttles/side trails etc.) And he is correct that most of this thread was quite mean.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'm not asking to do anything illegal and have no intention of taking our dog where he is not allowed. Just looking to see how other people have gotten around the places where dogs weren't allowed. I guess we will figure it out on the trail

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have not thru hiked but I know that the ATC/ALDHA Thru Hikers Companion guidebook has a list of kennels that board dogs for hikers that are going through the GSMNP as well as a list of shuttlers for those who would prefer to skip it. The book also has a list of kennels hear Baxter Park in Maine. I believe that these services is the most commonly used solution. The only other no dogs section I know of is a short bit next to bear mountain in NY where the trail goes through a native species zoo, this part has a blue blaze trail that takes you around the outside of the soo and shouldn't be an issue.

Lol. I've read the "word" dickhead so much on this post. Know your dog. Go from there.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    while i get your general sentiment, not all of your statements are exactly correct. my dogs would rather hike all day than sit on the couch. when i stop for a break, bella will break for awhile, get some water, and then bounce up the trail and back to me, giving her little "let's GO mama!" whine. when i finally put my pack back on, she's like a puppy, running in circles.
    as for an earlier statement made, when i attempted a thru-hike back in 1996, i sent my blue heeler home for the smokies part. once she figured out what was going on, it took both my father and i to get her into his car. it was like the cartoon where the animal sticks out all four legs and braces on the door frame. when my dad met me on the other side with her, she looked horrible. he said she cried the entire week and didn't eat, just sat by the door. when she got out of the car back up north, she knocked me to the ground, slobbered all over me and when she felt like she had done enough of that business, she ran over and lay down on her pack and bored holes into me with her eyes. "you are NOT leaving without me again". i got the message. when we finally did get off the trail, it was due to my inability to go on, not hers. however, i also understand that that is not always the case. some do not take good care of their dogs and those people should not be out there. but without knowing this person and her dog, who are you to judge whether or not she is one of those?

i can't believe you posted that. you should be ashamed.

please don't do this. if you are not in need of a service animal, then you would be doing a disservice to those that do, just to get your own way. that is childish and selfish. abide by the rules or stay home. i hope you and your furbaby get to do your hike, but please do it the right way. it is people that abuse the systems that get the privileges taken away from those that truly need them.
    something to consider with this site: I have a service dog who is prescribed by a doctor. The only times I've ever really been in a situation where i needed "proof" that he was a service dog was with landlords who weren't keen on large dogs. In these cases I've gotten a signed letter from that doctor. In scenarios such as hiking with my dog or, say, bringing him to the beach, a site like this could provide some reassurance of legitimacy since there isn't really one overarching government body that handles service dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by azb View Post
    You don't speak for all hikers. I love running into well behaved dogs on the trail. It's like running into a long lost friend for the first time.

Az
    I imagine it's kind of like college students running into dogs on campus for a lot of people...."OH MY GOD LOVE ME LICK ME I MISS MY DOG BACK HOME"

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    I imagine it's kind of like college students running into dogs on campus for a lot of people...."OH MY GOD LOVE ME LICK ME I MISS MY DOG BACK HOME"
    I can confirm that happens quite often.

Me too, though she said my boyfriend I think, I really wasn't listening.

Which of course as someone with a service dog you would never encourage or allow.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

something to consider with this site: I have a service dog who is prescribed by a doctor.
    Not all "service dogs" qualify. Here is an official ruling I got from the National Park service when I asked what the service dog rules were.

Service animals are permitted on the park trails as long as they meet the following qualifications: Service animals are defined as DOGS that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples are guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, alerting and protecting people who is having a seizure, as well as other disabilities of the owner. Service animals are working animals and not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. If the service animals meets these qualifications the service animal would be permitted to accompany the owner on trails in the park and shelter.
    The thing is the vast majority of hiker "service dogs" are of the comfort or emotional support type and therefore do not qualify to be allowed into the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Which of course as someone with a service dog you would never encourage or allow.
    In many cases this is the case -- mine in particular is there to help with PTSD attacks. I have no problem with people petting him since in most situations I can tell whether I'm going to be ok or not, but I usually tell them that they should ask an owner first since many dogs such as seeing-eye dogs and diabetes service dogs really do need to be on alert at all times for their owners.

That being said because of the less vigilant nature of his job I'm much less willing to use his service dog status to bring him places where dogs aren't welcome.

In many cases this is the case -- mine in particular is there to help with PTSD attacks. I have no problem with people petting him since in most situations I can tell whether I'm going to be ok or not, but I usually tell them that they should ask an owner first since many dogs such as seeing-eye dogs and diabetes service dogs really do need to be on alert at all times for their owners.

That being said because of the less vigilant nature of his job I'm much less willing to use his service dog status to bring him places where dogs aren't welcome.
    So ...you are in a restaurant letting folks pet your dog while telling them that usually they shouldn't pet a service dog?

I wouldn't be surprised if the management asked you to leave.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++