WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Dear Leah13: Hike your own hike. If you wish to try it with your dog go and have a great time. I cannot give info on your questions though, sorry. There is a "dog photo" thread don WB you might look at. Real inspirational. Have a great time. This replay written by Fido, Ruff, ruff!!!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

-------------------------------------------
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 11-21-2011 at 23:15.

Journal Entries

I sleep with my bitch every night .......

Journal Entries
    Images

you might want to leave your dog out of this... might feel slighted. How long have you been divorced?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

i started april 19th at springer and had my dog with me. she stayed with me the entire time and although we didn't finish this year, i don't regret a single step that i took with her on the trail. she did have problems in new england with her toenails, NOT her pads. thru-hiking dogs' pads toughen up as they go along... it's the day and section hikers' dogs whose pads look like hamburger meat at the end of a long weekend. my dog actually *gained* weight on the trail and i was told by numerous people, "i bet that dog thinks she's in heaven out here."

feel free to message me any questions you might have. email may have a quicker response, as it goes straight to my phone. [email protected] =)
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

To Lea13,
    I recommend you not get discouraged by all the BS you will read on this forum. Everyone has an opinion, and you will even hear it from non-dog owners. Often people with no experience will feel compelled to chime in, even when they clearly have nothing useful to offer.
    Your responsibility is to protect your dog from all the jackasses in the world...not the other way around! The key is training, and you have more than a year to experiment, develop, train and test your dog in public and on trail. Enjoy it, our dogs are with us for such a short time.

As far as service dogs are concerned, there are a few things to understand.
    First, a CGC or any other title awarded by a club like the AKC, UKC, DVG, USCA is worthless for circumventing "no pet" regulations. Even a certified therapy dog is still a pet and gets access to nursing homes only by special arrangement in advance. They have no other special rights or privileges.
    Second, a legitimate service dog is individually trained to perform specific tasks for a person with a medical disability. Although the major agencies that train service dogs will furnish certificates, the legal status of disabled is attached to the person, not the dog. The dog is a piece of medical equipment, like a wheelchair. A service dog user must qualify as disabled in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. This is commonly substantiated by a physician and medical documentation. I am not a lawyer, but I think only a medical doctor can legally declare someone as disabled. Even police and military working dogs are disallowed from entering libraries, restaurants, commercial aircraft cabins, and even public parks banning pets, unless they are engaged in a search, rescue, security or other working capacity. The point here is that rights are afforded to the disabled person, not the dog. You cannot take your brother's service dog for a walk in Baxter State Park. Only your brother with the medical need for the dog can. If you intend to make claim for special rights under the ADA provisions, I think you should damn well be prepared to legitimize your disability.
    Third, the company that sells this "service dog" package and registration is not accredited by any agency or department. They are basically selling a valueless document. They will probably ask you, the purchaser to "attest" that you are disabled and in legitimate need of a medical assistance animal. They are just selling "supplies". True service dog users would not likely carry this kind of bogus credential. Instead, they would more likely carry some form of document proving their medical disability, if not obvious. And their dog would be highly trained to behave in special ways in public as well as to perform the customized tasks for the user.
    If you arrive in the Smokies with a "service dog", the first question rangers will likely ask is "are you disabled?". You should probably be prepared to prove it.

Default dogs on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The rules don't change, nor do the challenges. Dogs are forbiden in the Smokies and in Baxter. You don't have to worry much about Baxter, as your chances of arriving there with a dog are about 1 in a 1000. If your truely serious about finishing a thru hike, don't bring your mutt.
    While I understand some folks don't like dogs, other people aren't responsible with dogs, and we're all concerned that the dogs are up for the task.. I kinda think this a blanket statement that doesn't help. F

or example, I knew a bluetick hound that used to run the Basin-Baldface loop in the eastern side of the WMNF in Maine a few times in a day- challenging any hut to hut traverse speed and elevation record.. There is a list on the net of dogs who have bagged every 4000' peak in NH.
    I have a shepherd that has pushed me on when I thought I was spent, not to mention keeping black bears away, or being more reliable than a GPS on return trails if you take a wrong turn. Additionally, there is a lot of feedback that long-hikers with dogs maintain better attitudes, which seems like a no brainer in my experience with good K9s.

That said, there's good reason for concern about the heat/ozone and about the smaller/shorter dogs on big hikes. Some people don't seem to get how much more energy a small dog expends- the world is a lot bigger to small legs! On the heat and ozone- its different for k9s. I encourage checking EPA sites for daily ozone levels which can be gnarly on the east coast in the summer (thank Detroit and the midwest industry- support the clean air act). If you've never hit the heat and dangerous ozone levels' wall before- or never seen a dog hit it, have some respect- its like hypothermia, not to be messed with. If a dog doesn't trip and hurt himself first while under the influence of the rising fever and low oxygen levels, he'll soon go into organ shut down and need IV bags fast. Dogs seem particulary susceptible to high ozone levels. Last summer there were numerous days that large sections of the east coast were in the yellow and orange levels on the EPA daily ozone level sites. Combine this with 95 degrees and you too will see double and throw up too without salt pills and a lot of water. Its really not healthy for human or dog, but dogs are particularly weak to it.

Also, you should talk to some vets- there a number of area specific parasites, and the vaccinations for some of the water borne ones aren't 100% effective. I've trained my shepherd to ask for water and drink from a bladder, to keep her from drinking from streams as much as possible. Seriously, check with vets and do some research tho- there a lot of stories about AT dogs bringing some weird parasites and blood borne bacterial infections home with them. I found a great tick spray at Petco that works better than Bens, its made by Sentry and is made of several cooking oils (like clove oil) and alcohol. Stuff is the bomb, makes dogs smell like xmas cookies tho. Good luck, be safe, train long and slow with your four legged friend.

Journal Entries

do all the hikers a favor and leave your dog at home

Quote Originally Posted by form View Post
    please stay off the hiking WITH dogs forum if you don't have any helpful advice on how to hike WITH a dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    please stay off the hiking WITH dogs forum if you don't have any helpful advice on how to hike WITH a dog.
    is +1,000,000 allowed?
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

Quote Originally Posted by form View Post
    You don't speak for all hikers. I love running into well behaved dogs on the trail. It's like running into a long lost friend for the first time.

Az

Ditto.. Hey there's no sign saying flat landers and city folks stay out and they let the human race in..who are we to keep leashed dogs out of a park? Seriously, I don't rain on your 'tutu-wearing cats' forum... Haha jus kiddin, but in all seriousness- lighten up and pick on someone else. This is why I feel safer with a big dog on the trail...they can sense the vibes.. Happy trails : )

Journal Entries
    Images

Ya know - I have a strange ability to read - and then ask (WHAT ARE THEY NOT SAYING?) - oh I give up it's never been asked in my opinion - What is the fine in SNP for thru hiking with a dog? What is the consequence if its less than $200 bucks.....

Here is my take... we all sit here in front of our computers, and forget that some folk have real issues when confronted by hikers and Foofy... Foofy is nothing more than a Jack Russel... so what... Beyond stupid for such a small mammal. But I have had people scream at me for Foofy - and it wasn't my dog.. - it was my dad's dog and he was there.

SO - Parks and environmental mental midgets banded together and found a real reason to ban dogs.... TP. Dogs don't use TP on the trail. They apparently lick their butts & balls and this is offensive to some enviornmentalists... Yes their turds are loaded with bacteria.. So are we, but lets ban dogs because we are offended by the constant ringing of phone calls from complainers, whiners, and butt sucking environmental mental midgets.

Sorry - I thought it through - and I approve this message.... And if you haven't busted a gut and fell off your office chair...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hilarious... For real. We do remember that there are bears and moose and other animals who go dump in the woods out there, right? Or maybe we're too busy texting to notice...haha.

If dogs were allowed in the park, they wouldn't be just on the AT, they'd be all over the place. The chances of dangerous interactions with wild life would be great. I'd guess most of us have had bad encounters with day hiker dogs on the trail. These dogs are out of thier normal enviorment and are basically a little freaked out about it. "Oh, he's normally a really friendly dog" says the owner as the dog barks, growls and nips at you. Now imagine hords of tourists bringing thier house pets out into the wilderness with them. No, I don't want to imagine it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Totally disagree Slogoen - wildlife will take care of itself - wildlife is decimated by domestic cats - which kill far more birds, over a million + per year. The only thing that's freakin out is people.

tourists generally are not hikers....

Woo

I am really surprised at the negativity many members here have expressed about taking dogs on thru-hikes.

Dogs accompanied humans for centuries in every imaginable type of activity. If your dog is an appropriate age and health, you watch your dog for signals that it is stressed, and you take care of your dog along the way, good grief what is the problem for the animal?

They are descended from wolves...wolves ran miles and miles and miles every day over every sort of terrain. That said I would think pre-hike physical training for you and your dog would be in order. The dog needs a warm and dry place to sleep every night...pooch will need his own insulating mat, and if a short hair or needs to sleep warmly will need some insulating bedding even if the two of you are in a tent and you are in your sleeping bag. After seeing one of my short haired dogs shiver terribly in cold weather I began to bring his own little sleeping bag and insulating mat. You'll need to provide high protein diet, the better and best dog food, and personally for active working dogs I'd supplement dry cereal with a great deal of meat, whenever possible. Sounds like pads can become a problem...there are dog booties for snow, perhaps they'd work for sharp rocks as you get into the real rock portions of the trail. Don't be disuaded by people telling you your dog can't do, or wouldn't enjoy a long distance hike? It would be a journey of a lifetime for you and your dog. If you can and you take care of your dog and feed it well, provide it with a warm and dry place to sleep, I just don't get the criticism. What, are the detractors suggesting the trail should be off limits to dogs and their owners? Well some owners who don't take good care of their dogs, yes. But this dog/human relationship goes way back....and sounds like you are one that wants to keep it going forward.

I'd take the extra measure of preparation, equipment, and realize that getting rides to town might be a bit more difficult. Take good care to demand real good trail etiquette from your dog, your hike will cost more, because you're really going to take care of your hiking companion dog along the way.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am always amazed by the great folk that take there dog and arrive after an awesome hike at the Doyle - the dogs are wonderful.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    I am really surprised at the negativity many members here have expressed about taking dogs on thru-hikes.

Dogs accompanied humans for centuries in every imaginable type of activity. If your dog is an appropriate age and health, you watch your dog for signals that it is stressed, and you take care of your dog along the way, good grief what is the problem for the animal?

They are descended from wolves...wolves ran miles and miles and miles every day over every sort of terrain. That said I would think pre-hike physical training for you and your dog would be in order. The dog needs a warm and dry place to sleep every night...pooch will need his own insulating mat, and if a short hair or needs to sleep warmly will need some insulating bedding even if the two of you are in a tent and you are in your sleeping bag. After seeing one of my short haired dogs shiver terribly in cold weather I began to bring his own little sleeping bag and insulating mat. You'll need to provide high protein diet, the better and best dog food, and personally for active working dogs I'd supplement dry cereal with a great deal of meat, whenever possible. Sounds like pads can become a problem...there are dog booties for snow, perhaps they'd work for sharp rocks as you get into the real rock portions of the trail. Don't be disuaded by people telling you your dog can't do, or wouldn't enjoy a long distance hike? It would be a journey of a lifetime for you and your dog. If you can and you take care of your dog and feed it well, provide it with a warm and dry place to sleep, I just don't get the criticism. What, are the detractors suggesting the trail should be off limits to dogs and their owners? Well some owners who don't take good care of their dogs, yes. But this dog/human relationship goes way back....and sounds like you are one that wants to keep it going forward.

I'd take the extra measure of preparation, equipment, and realize that getting rides to town might be a bit more difficult. Take good care to demand real good trail etiquette from your dog, your hike will cost more, because you're really going to take care of your hiking companion dog along the way.
    thank you for being logical and positive for the OP. i think more people need to be like you. when i started my thru-hike, i was pretty apprehensive about how people would view my dog because i was bombarded by negativity here on wb regarding dogs on the trail. there were a handful of users who were super awesome and helpful, but a lot of the people who post on this board are anti-thru-hiking dog, when they don't even know the dogs in question.

with that being said, i actually found that having a dog increased my chances of being picked up. (or maybe it's because i'm a girl? o.O) one of the best trail magic experiences for me came when i was sitting outside the pet store in hamburg, pa in the middle of the heat wave that struck the northeast in mid-july this past year. one of my friends and i had found a ride into hamburg to resupply and avoid the midday heat and i'd taken my dog into the pet store to get her into the air conditioning to cool off a bit. when we walked outside and sat in the shade, a woman and her daughter who'd seen us in the store saw our packs and asked us if we were hiking and where we'd come from. then she decided to take us home with her, and she later told me that she never would have asked if it hadn't been for good ol' swayze.

i think maybe if it were raining, our chances would have been significantly less for getting a ride, but in general, people see a dog and a backpack walking with a human and a backpack, and they get curious. and if they don't hate dogs, they're willing to pick you up if you'll just answer a few questions for them ("you walked here from WHERE?!").
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

my dog absolutely got us many more rides i wouldn't of got without her!
    i know this, because most of them would tell me so :-)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++