WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Dog hikers: How much does your pack weigh?

Here's a question I haven't seen posted.AT thru hikers with dogs: What is your maximum pack weight?I'm talking about on days where Fido could use a break so you're carrying his pack, food, and water. Let's assume it's on day one away from town so you have as much as you will ever carry.Besides that I'm guessing most of you carry a bigger shelter and possibly an extra pad and half sleeping bag for the guy. Leash, bowl, treats, etc.How much is your max total? I'm looking at purchasing a pack for myself and want to make sure I get one that can handle the extra weight, but I want to avoid buying something that's overkill for my needs.Please post the size of your dog, any gear recommendations and any relevant info. Thanks! Nick

My old trail buddy weighed around 60 lbs and was a chow mix and could carry 17 days worth of food on long trips without resupply---I carried the rest if we were going to 20 days. He was like a malamute and would stand calm and still while I strapped on his pack---Alaskan past lives maybe---and once saddled up was ready to go. Of course my pack was around 85 lbs so we both went slow. No sweat.

85lbs!!!!? I'm looking at ultralite gear and wondering if 35lbs is realistic.

Images

there used to be a good but old article by a vet on the atc's page, can't find it but I believe it says that most breeds can safely carry 15% of their body weight, when me and my dog hiked for a month (she was around 54lbs about 5.5years ago) she never carried more than 8 days worth of food plus two one liter platypus' (that i only filled 3/4 of the way), she has put on a few lbs since then but we haven't been on a long hike in a while, so now days i keep her pack pretty light...
    i like the platypus system, she learned to drink out of my tube from watching another experienced hiking dog, and sometimes if we used all the water in my platypus, i would take the two from her and just hook one up to my tube and put the other in my pack

important to remember to keep the pack's weight even on both sides
    extra stuff for dogs:
    more stuff in first aid kit, especially super glue (i used to groom dogs and we always had a tube of super glue ready to go just incase)
    leash, attached to me so i can be ready to put it on her when appropriate
    treats, i carried
    one bowl, make sure its water proof double purpose as food bowl and water bowl after dinner in camp
    warm weather: tyvek square, dog knows its hers (she's a diva who loves a good dog bed anyways)
    cold weather:coat depending on dogs fur and half pad for insulation from ground (doesn't have to fancy or airpad, blue walmart pad is fine)
    i also keep a small ziplock with our emergency info and itinerary in her pack

as far as a pack, try a local outfitters, usually they only have one brand for dogs, but check with them, they are usually fine with letting you bring a behaved dog in to try on packs, dogs chest sizes can really vary among different breeds, also looking at pics of other dogs that look similar to yours, and seeing how the pack fits them. make the pack a fun thing, to get your dog used to it, my dog liked wearing clothes (which started as joke and i didn't expect her to like it) but when she got a pack and treats came out of it, she like it even more. watch for signs of rubbing and adjust straps as needed.

tent wise, i started with an old msr zoid 1.5 little bigger than a one man but not quite a two man, recently i've switched to a appy trails tarp, no floor for the dogs nails to puncture and plenty of room for 2-3 people, dog and all gear (plus its a good price for the room and weight)
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

and yes 35lbs for you with a dog is very realistic
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I had a 6 weeks thru-hike with my dog here in canada. I carried his food in addition of mine. he is a 22 pounds sheltie. the only thing i carried for him was a short leash and his food and a small plastic container(food and water in one). he added 25 percent to weight of food(not 25 percent to whole weight) but he is just 22 pounds and carrying his food was easier than limiting him by carrying a bag in the hottest summer ever. All shelties are fluffy dogs and I carried a brush for him( which was used by me also ). He sleeps in a very small corner of your tent and you dont need to carry heavier tent for his convenience or yours. Water is the same .he used about 20 percent of my water supply in worst case scenarios. And I carried a thick medication for him which weighs 3 grams only.
    Warm clothing or paw protection for shelties are like jokes and I have never covered him for warmth purposes even in Canadian Winters. I think they cant carry bags in summers but in cooler weathers they can take care of their share of loads with ease.

Thanks for the info everyone! Keep it coming!

I hike with a 60lb. Akita. She's getting older so I only make her carry about 4 pounds. Sure, she can carry more, but I feel better not loading her down. She can get aches and pains too!
    The way I see it, I better plan on being able to carry ALL her stuff in case she gets hurt or over-heated. And maybe even carrying her out if needed. I would be very careful of all the different estimates of what percent of body weight your dog can carry. Just because the dog may be able to theoretically carry 20% (or whatever %) does NOT mean that it should!
    We go to great lengths to reduce our own pack weights; we should do the same for our dogs. I would warn you to also be careful of dog packs with all the special features like removable pockets, water bladders, etc. These items add weight to the dog pack just like they do to your own pack.
    If you work hard to minimize your own pack weight, do the same for your dog.
    I usually carry no more that 3-4 days food. I can definitely keep it under 35lbs. for us both. I will carry most of her food to ensure it stays dry. She carries a small (cream cheese tub) bowl, small brush, I.D., eye drops, leash, etc. and maybe treats or food just for that day.
    Conditions also matter. My dog will do 10 miles in the snow with her pack easily. But if it's hot, she will carry nothing or even stay home.
    So there is no clear answer to how much weight. The only answer that all will agree to is to go easy and don't over do it. You will need to define that for yourself.

Thanks. That's the plan. In getting Bruce a pack so he CAN carry some supplies, but I'm trying to be sure that I take into account those days that he shouldn't carry anything. My main concern at this point is that I buy a pack that can accommodate his supplies and mine for those days. I'm feeling more confident thanks to your tips. I think I'll start purchasing gear so we can start hiking around FL to prep and make sure he's "trail trained".

I tried to have my dog answer this but his paws kept getting caught in the keyboard!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I had a 6 weeks thru-hike with my dog here in canada.
    Just curious, I'm from Ottawa, wondering where in Canada you found a good 6 week hike...? I was looking at the Rideau trail but they discourage staying overnight on the trails.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robishack View Post
    Just curious, I'm from Ottawa, wondering where in Canada you found a good 6 week hike...? I was looking at the Rideau trail but they discourage staying overnight on the trails.
    I hiked the Bruce Trail. It is 885 km long. You can find my videos of the trail ( they are three parts) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESEU0xTo9k8

Not the most scenic trail but a well maintained, safe beautiful trail. It is a trail that worth hiking for sure.

The Voyageur Trail (say Spanish -> Sault) makes for a nice long hike - certainly a more wild experience than the Bruce. Weather might be an issue if you're planning a prep hike before a NOBO this spring. I hiked Owen Sound -> Tobermory as a prep hike for the CDT in early May of this year and had a blast - noone is up there 'til the two-four!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Suttree View Post
    The Voyageur Trail (say Spanish -> Sault) makes for a nice long hike - certainly a more wild experience than the Bruce. Weather might be an issue if you're planning a prep hike before a NOBO this spring. I hiked Owen Sound -> Tobermory as a prep hike for the CDT in early May of this year and had a blast - noone is up there 'til the two-four!
    Owen Sound to Tobermory is the cream of the croup of the Bruce Trail. The information about Voyageur Trail is so limited online that I couldnt have a feel about it but generally I want a trail that is not mainly a green corridor. Bruce Trail and AT are mainly a green corridor and I guess Voyager trail mostly is.

generally I want a trail that is not mainly a green corridor. Bruce Trail and AT are mainly a green corridor and I guess Voyager trail mostly is.
    Not many mountains in Ontario
    Killarney is your best bet to escape the green!

Images

Not many mountains in Ontario
    Killarney is your best bet to escape the green!
    Ontario and Mountains!!!

They dont even know each other.
    If one is serious about climbing then ontario is the last place to be. I am focused on PCT. It has been a dream of mine for too long.

Ontario and Mountains!!!
    I am focused on PCT. It has been a dream of mine for too long.
    Do it! Photos from a presentation I did for the Toronto Outdoor Club on the PCT are here

Images

Do it! Photos from a presentation I did for the Toronto Outdoor Club on the PCT are here
    Wow , what a great collection of photos. Great job and greater hike. Congratulations. I loved it so far.

Images

While thru- hiking my pack was under 30lbs, even with my dogs food. Erwin only carried his rain jack, tupper wear food bowl, his current days food.

i also carried evrything for lulu my thought was and always will b concerng hiking w a dog im out there cuz i want to b she is out there cuz i am ....im going to make it as easy as i can for her period

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++