WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

helloo.. Mariano From NJ here. they say nothing would prepare you to go up and down hills with a heavy load on your back than actually going up and down hills with a heavy load on your back.. don't worry about it.. you'll be fine.

i has not fit at all.. and had never done any hiking before i hiked the hilly NJ section of the AT. i averaged about 14 - 15 miles a day..(it did hurt a bit) but i had a great time and i fell in love with the trail.. by now i've finished ny and ct and i'm going for ma and pa next year.

don't think too much about it ... it beats the purpose of going hiking ..

happy trails!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    Do stadiums at The Swamp with your pack!
    Can't you just SEE security when someone with a backpack starts walking up!?!?

Now that I think about it, you may want to talk with someone in security to let them know what you are doing and let them check the pack out if necessary! It's easier talking to them standing up, face to face than face down on the asphalt. Of course, face down may be good prep for the times you are going to fall on the trail!

Be sure to do a trip report, please!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Can't you just SEE security when someone with a backpack starts walking up!?!?

Now that I think about it, you may want to talk with someone in security to let them know what you are doing and let them check the pack out if necessary!
    I assume they would not be doing it during a Gator Game (although that would be good training for walking through GA in March).

I, and others, have walked there with packs and no one really cares.

BTW, I know where Valrico is. Are you a cowboy?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I hear people are in the stadium all the time with packs on to train. There is really no security in the stadium during the week anyway. They leave it open just for people to exercise.

Images

Just go for it, it should be beautiful! Watch the down hills, in the beginning they seem to hurt my legs the most. ENJOY

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Just go for it, it should be beautiful! Watch the down hills, in the beginning they seem to hurt my legs the most. ENJOY
    Thanks! I have heard that the down hills are the worst. I'm stoked. Just two weeks till I leave!

As another flatlander, you should have little trouble, just realize that the FT is a pale comparison of the Georgia section of the trail!! Take it easy and ease up your miles from day to day. If I were to over pack any one area, it would be sleeping gear as that area can be frustratingly fickle this time of year, and food since you might need more calories than you think (yeah, I realize that's two areas, but that might be why my pack is so heavy!). Lots of fantastic views and cool people. Best of luck!!

Oh, and if you start at Amicalola DO NOT be intimidated by the first 8 miles of up!!!! It gets better after you top out (and start The Trail) at Springer. Just gear down into low gear and keep a steady pace. And be ready for the thin stuff that passes for air (plenty of air, just not much oxygen) up in those parts!! Not apoxia material, but you will probably feel it for a day or two coming from sea level + 20'!!

Quote Originally Posted by waasj View Post
    Oh, and if you start at Amicalola DO NOT be intimidated by the first 8 miles of up!!!! It gets better after you top out (and start The Trail) at Springer. Just gear down into low gear and keep a steady pace. And be ready for the thin stuff that passes for air (plenty of air, just not much oxygen) up in those parts!! Not apoxia material, but you will probably feel it for a day or two coming from sea level + 20'!!
    Thanks for the tips!

Hello,to fellow hanger. My hammock (Clark NA) includes a pocket that Clark calls a pistol pocket or something like that. I put bear spray there at night. But I like the idea that my hammock has a gun hold already built in. Be prepared for all things. That Springer section is steep and rocky. Hardest footing until you get to trails shared by horses. Sandy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by clsvideo View Post
    Thanks all. We need to average 10 miles per day. My pack weight will be around 30lbs wet. I used to be a distance runner so i'm comfortable with pacing. I think I'll be good and will try to walk as much as I can in the next 3 weeks. Just wanted some opinions since I haven't done any mountain backpacking before. The Florida Trail is pretty flat and that is where my backpacking has been. Thanks again.
    You'll probably find that the first day you'll be fine and will probably want to exceed that 10 miles. Then you'll start to feel it the 2nd and 3rd day and might have to back off a bit. Usually by the 5th day, assuming no knee injuries or bad blisters, you'll really feel like treking. .

The best advice is to keep the mileage low the first 2 days to see how your feet are doing. Treat any blisters or heel rubs quick before they become a problem. A gradual build up is always the best plan for new hikers. Your previous runner legs will come back to life eventually.

Since the OP was planning to do the hike a couple of months ago, maybe we should ask how did it go or did he go at all?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You will find all kinds on the trail and will probably see others who are not as prepared as you are. I do a lot of section hiking -anywhere from 25 miles to 120 and have hiked the trail in great or and sometimes in not so great shape. Once you get you rlegs going it all comes back to you and the way I look at it you have all day to complete for that day and if I don't make that days miles make it up the next day. My son and I section hiked Georgia last year at the same time of year. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
    helloo.. Mariano From NJ here. they say nothing would prepare you to go up and down hills with a heavy load on your back than actually going up and down hills with a heavy load on your back.. don't worry about it.. you'll be fine.
    i has not fit at all.. and had never done any hiking before i hiked the hilly NJ section of the AT. i averaged about 14 - 15 miles a day..(it did hurt a bit) but i had a great time and i fell in love with the trail.. by now i've finished ny and ct and i'm going for ma and pa next year. don't think too much about it ... it beats the purpose of going hiking ..

happy trails!
    ..............and he was FAT!

Sasquatch and I met Mariano on his first long hike. He was unprepared. He was uncomfortable, he got blisters, but......

He had a BLAST!!

He's been on several hikes since then, the last being a 50 mile section in Pa. with Chenango (who is currently doing the Florida Trail) and me (who is at home with gout - again - - I start meds. for it tomorrow - diet hasn't been enough).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I think that a stair-stepper and an ellipitcal (with heavy resistance) - with a pack on if you like will be about the best bet short of going up and down hills with and without a pack. Or go up and down stairs with a pack. Boring but effective.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++