WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: About how many moose did you see on your thru/section hike?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Many Moose?

I was sitting down eating my granola bar breakfast on the trail near Crawford Notch when I looked up and saw a bull moose standing right behind me no more than a foot or so. I can't belive something that big can move through the woods without making so little noise. I just froze because he was one massive animal and let him have all the trail he wanted.
    Life is neat on the trail...Swamp Dawg

Default At the Last Minute

One of the three things I really wanted to see/hear on my hike this year was a moose. I remember being told, "Oh, don't worry, you'll see moose in Maine!" Made it sound like I would trip over them around every corner!

Maine came ... no moose. Monson ... Still no moose. 100 mile wilderness .. and still no moose. I was resigned to the fact that I would not see one.

On Sept. 27 ... I got up early and headed for Abol Bridge. Wanted to get to the sign up sheet for The Birches so I could sign the 5 of us up. I reached the Abol Bridge store shortly before 7 AM. The store didn't open till 7 AM so I figured I would hike the mile to the sign up sheet and then come back.

Not more than 1/4 mile away I saw my Moose ... Couldn't believe it!! NOt only did I see that one but when I got back to the store the rest of the crew was rolling in and we saw another one in the river ... The day before I summitted I saw my moose

Cuppa

Lucky me...I went to Baxter to summit K with my buddy who thru hiked in 2003 and saw three moose in a pond next to the road between the entrance and Katahdin Stream Campground. Man, that's a lovely place!

Default Moose in Baxter State Park

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole
    Lucky me...I went to Baxter to summit K with my buddy who thru hiked in 2003 and saw three moose in a pond next to the road between the entrance and Katahdin Stream Campground. Man, that's a lovely place!
    I saw one there too. I took this picture in June 2004.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

i saw my one and only moose, i believe, the day i went into monson. id have to check my notes to be sure. ive seen moose in rocky mt natl park, and in isle royale in lake superior, you couldnt turn around without stepping on a moose! saw 7 or 8 in 5 days.

my rare animal for my AT trip was a bobcat on greylock. dat was cool

hey, is there a bear poll (pole)? get it? ha ha

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default no moose here

I actually biked around Cape Breton once and thought I could not miss seeing one up there. I did - the heck with them !

Journal Entries
    Images

Just bumping and old thread.

I watched one one for an hour or so, as it ate in a pond in Maine. It came back the next morning for breakfast, so I watched it then, too. Now I live in Wyoming, and while they aren't everywhere, in many areas there are a lot. Seeing a moose makes it a good day.

0...I did round a corner once or twice in Maine to catch a glimpse of what sounded like a train bolting away in the brush which I’m pretty sure were Meeses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Images

2016 - TONS of evidence: tracks, droppings, etc.

ONE moose - in the back of a pick-up truck at the grocery store just outside of Baxter. Would have LOVED to have seen a live one, but no such luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Saw two in Maine. One running away into the trees, and this one who kept me company for about an hour while I ate breakfast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++