WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Trail Knives and Multi-Purpose Tools

What is the best / most useful "Trail" knife or Multi-Purpose Tool such as Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman Multi-Purpose Tool?

Does anyone really use all the "multi" gadgets, or are they extra weight?

Are there any Ultra-Light Options that do the same? If so, what are the compromises?

Billie Blazes

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I have two knifes. The swiss army variety and the smallest Buck knife they make. I never take the swiss army knife with me on the trail anymore. I just never needed the other tools unless I was off the trail. Then they are very handy. My single blade Buck knife has to weight no more than 1 OZ vs 6-8 OZ for the swiss.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I carry a Swiss Army "Fisherman" model everyday (have for years), but recently picked up a Leatherman Micra for the trail. The scissors are handy, a blade of some sort is a must, plus the mini screwdriver is useful for emergency glasses repair. The best part is that the Micra weighs half of what my SAK weighs.

Far from the lightest option I carry a good fixed blade knife, and add in a leatherman squirt in winter for repairs to snowshoes or crampons etc. Squirt is 2oz and has all you will ever need, knife, file, pliers, phillips, flathead, and can opener, awl.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

I carry a squirt, Mora fixed blade, and a classic SAK. Altogether might be like 8 oz, but I carry very little else besides necessary gear.

Garlic
    Images

Only you can answer this question. Do you need a mulititool? Do you carry complex gear with moving parts that needs repair? Are you afraid of something breaking that will affect your trip or seeing your next birthday?

Over several seasons I was able to greatly simplify my load. I no longer carry much metal at all, or anything with moving parts. I have a frameless pack, my shelter uses trekking poles or a stick, I don't have a water filter, I no longer carry a stove...I wondered why I needed a multitool. What's going to break? So I started carrying a single edged razor blade in a plastic handle, with an extra blade in a piece of duct tape. I use that to open packages, for fabric repair, minor first aid, etc. I use a spoon to cut my food. Over the last several years, I've been able to affect all my field repairs with a small sewing kit and some duct tape. It works great for me. An added bonus was finding out I could carry my pack on an airplane if I threw away the razor blade. They're easy to buy, five for a dollar, almost anywhere.

My multitool stays at home where there are many things that need fixing regularly.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I carry a squirt, Mora fixed blade, and a classic SAK. Altogether might be like 8 oz, but I carry very little else besides necessary gear.
    Why carry the squirt AND the swiss army knife? Seems redundant.

I'm a fan of mora knives too and used to carry one... ~3oz for a very sturdy and easy to sharpen blade.

I carry a knife every day... if I have pants on I will have a knife with me.

Of course, I am a Sailor... so a knife is important. The one I have settled on for the last couple years is a Leatherman C33Tx.

Now, I have carried many knives over the years, and have now gone through about 5 model changes of this knife... the blade is really tough (I like the combo blade)... the screw drivers work out well and the carabiner works as a bottle opener...

All this for 3.6 oz... it is a good solution at least for me.

c33t-fanned.jpg

I have a Gerber Crucial that I take car camping or when weight doesn't matter. When I'm going lightweight I have a little Gerber stl 2.0. It's tiny but serves all basic needs. There really is no need for anything bigger in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Ha, I've seen that one before. I'm sure it will double everyone's pack weight.

I really like my "My First Swiss Army Knife Plus," though it's not my first. It has a bottle/can opener, saw, blade, toothpick, and tweezers.. doesn't cost or weigh too much either.

Now I carry a Leatherman Micra. Its scissors are strong enough to trim the nails of my large toes. The knife is big enough to cut anything I need to cut.

Images

Your multi tool better to have a sharp blade, a small scissors( you can clipp your nails with it), pincer for thorn removal,can opener and small screw driver(s). I repeatedly use my SAK small wood saw in my trips but not gonna hurt you if not be included. Anything more specific is optional like since I fish when I hike my SAK is angler specific and has hook removal and some other stuff. Overall do not take any multi tool that has some extra features that isnot in your need. they make your load heavy but oo small verions like pucket versions I find them not that much useful on trails. If it is the only sharp object you are carryig better not be too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    Why carry the squirt AND the swiss army knife? Seems redundant.

I'm a fan of mora knives too and used to carry one... ~3oz for a very sturdy and easy to sharpen blade.
    I use the pliers for sewing, but I pretty much only carry the SAK now that I am dayhiking, and figured out a couple ways to sew heavier material without pliers(multiple layers of strap, ect). Probably get an Izula later as my fixed blade, very sturdy and like 2oz, the mora is closer to 4oz, maybe a bit over, with the sheath. I am having knee problems, mostly related to my time in the Army years ago, so I am careful on gear weight.

Images

most trips i need nothing more than a single edge razor blade, but I still carry my swiss army knife as a security blanket. I feel somehow that the corkscrew might come in handy, even if i dont drink( inderstand mountain lions flee at the sight of a corkscrew.).For what I carry, theres no use for a multi tool, but you have to answer this question yourself:Can you envision a need for anythiing more than a sharp blade?very few philips head screws on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ( inderstand mountain lions flee at the sight of a corkscrew.)
    Actually, they just run home to get a bottle of merlot, knowing it's the perfect accompaniment for human. This gives you a chance to slip away. If the mountain lions ever start bringing the wine with them, it's all over.

Images

Another knife discussion?! Wheres that dead beating horse pic at?

But, since you asked. Dont forget the Mora knife for those that like a fixed blade.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Newcomb View Post
    Actually, they just run home to get a bottle of merlot, knowing it's the perfect accompaniment for human. This gives you a chance to slip away. If the mountain lions ever start bringing the wine with them, it's all over.
    one can only hope they dont discover the greatest accomplishment of the 20th century- boxed wine.

Images

everyone thinks their knife is the best.

Panzer
    ps my knife is better than yours...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++