WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Going Hammock

Default Going Hammock

My wife and I are both side sleepers and on our last hike found the tent route very uncomfortable. I did't sleep more than an hour or so each night on the trail. We just bought the ENO Single nest and Pro Fly tarps and will be trying them on the AT this week. We did go out to the woods and test out the set up and laid around in them awhile.

Did a short video.... check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeA963f8iuU

Images

Be warned it has been known for nylon straps to stretch especially when wet. Many issues noted with the slap straps with regards to stretching. Polyester is a better material for straps as it doesn't stretch that much.

When you and your wife become more comfortable with hammocks check out lighter and smaller tarps... OES MacCat Deluxe and the Warbonnet Edge are good ones. Make sure you properly insulate your hammocks to keep your backs warm. Have fun out there!

Images

Nice video. Saw in the comments you suffered frozen butt syndrome. I use a solid foam pad in my hammock and use my sleeping bag as a top quilt. I also use SlapStraps with no problems. After rigging, I stretch the straps by sitting on the hammock and then move one notch higher.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

If you're going to use foam inside the hammock as insulation (the least expensive option), carry an extra 1/2 length to lay crossways underneath the lengthwise pad. This will insulate your shoulders and upper arms, a spot that was constantly cold in my case when I first experimented with insulation. I now thread my hammock through a sleeping bag and have insulation all around me. Note that if (when) you begin to experiment with underquilts, top quilts, etc. you will need the insulation underneath you snugged up to the bottom of the hammock or else it will just serve to keep the cold air in the gap cold. I am a side sleeper and find that if I sleep on an angle and have my head over the edge of the hammock I get the best sleep possible. That's one reason I gave up my Hennessy. I had to sleep completely wrapped up by it and couldn't see out unless I sat up, and cool air (I know, you aren't thinking much about that right now) would go right over me rather than cooling me. I much prefer a simple hammock with a bug net around the whole thing.
    Enjoy your new sleeping experience.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

RoadApe, check out Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site. It will answer many, many questions you may have plus give you ideas you may have never thought of.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Learning a lot about hammocks and quickly.

Images

Last edited by Rain Man; 10-31-2011 at 21:58.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Rainman, please do not take this the wrong way! Your ................is golden.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I often wonder why an owl has the last say --- It was not to be.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    .................................................. .........
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

the learning curve to hammocking is long compared to tent camping. even all the youtube stuff and blogs from the self proclaimed experts will not help. most of them don't have a clue.
    that said, get out there, have fun, enjoy and learn. i will never regert going to hammocking back in '07. even my dog jumps in it now. at my age it's been great on my back.

TY
    KK&K
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

++ New Posts ++