WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stats 2012 View Post
    I'll be 43 - does that count? Will start at Springer March 13.
    I'll be 44 if I start then. I'm gonna watch the weather and jump on a good weather window if it presents itself otherwise maybe St. Patrick's day.

I''l be 56 by March for my thru and will be another slow one that these kids will zip by.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

40 when I start and looking forward to another trail birthday. Trail birthdays are the best.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Heh, I will have turned 57 while driving to Atlanta. Gonna start real slow, and get strong before shifting gears ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I'm starting sometime in March and looking to finish in August. I'm hiking for To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA). To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery. I have begun my campaign to collect donations in their name and raise awareness for the cause. I hope this will bring the motivation I need during struggling times to finish my journey.

Here is my blog that explains it all...http://www.sethsatjourney.blogspot.com/
    This is my donation hosting pa
    ge...https://www.wepay.com/donate/sethsatjourney

Whether you make a donation or just check out the page, THANK YOU.

You only have to remember that
    What you've done in your life
    May change what someone's doing in their life
    And it changes everything

~ Peace

Pre Planning 2012 Thru Hike Switchback2012's Avatar
    Images

I will celebrate my 40th on the trail!

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Hey all you young kids that are starting the trail say hi as you rush pass me. I am 76 and have COPD so I will huffing and puffing along the trail. Hit me on the shoulder to see if I am still alive as you pass. I am starting the trail on the 15TH of March.

My wife and I plan on leaving about April 1st but will be keeping an eye on the long range weather forecast. If it looks good we may back up to about March 15th. Regarding our age....let's just say our trip is being partially funded by the Social Security checks we receive each month in the mail. SYOTT

I should be getting on trail on the weekend of the 24th. I decided last June that I was going to stay 32 for another year then jump right to 34!

Journal Entries

Another Ol Man starting mid March. I am 56 years old from South Carolina. Just retired the first of the year. I've been working on getting in shape for the past several months. I feel like I'm ready physically. I'm a bit concerned about the snow we'll hit, I've hiked in the cold but never in heavy snow. Can't believe my long time dream is about here. WOW

Quote Originally Posted by CROCKETT View Post
    Another Ol Man starting mid March. I am 56 years old from South Carolina. Just retired the first of the year. I've been working on getting in shape for the past several months. I feel like I'm ready physically. I'm a bit concerned about the snow we'll hit, I've hiked in the cold but never in heavy snow. Can't believe my long time dream is about here. WOW
    Re snow: A little bit is really fun.....really. A lot doesn't seem like fun at that time, but is still fun when you think back on it. Get good weather forecasts when you finish each 3-4 day section. If the weather scares you, just hole-up in a hotel for a bit. I have often hiked the southern AT in winter and do just that. Sometimes I end up kicking myself for being a wuss.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Thanks ChinMusic for the words of encouragement on the snow..Great advice on checking long range weather every 3-5 day stop. I plan on leaving mid March depending on the 10 day forecast at that time. I did the Springer Mtn to Mountain Crossing Hostel a month ago just to get a bit familiar with the start to help reduce any anxious concerns.

Best of LUCK on the Trail, hope to see ya

Journal Entries

I am getting into hiking the Appalachian trail. This year! April to Oct. I should say I am exploring the possibility of doing the AT starting April first.
    First I have to sell the trailer and prove to myself I can hike multiple days with a pack.
    I ordred a Hennessy Hammock to test.
    I just weighted my 1985 Backpack, its 7+ LB?!
    I love that custom made Dan McHale pack but can I do the hike with it?

I did my AT thru hike in 2009 and turned 48 while on the trail. I will likely be back out mid to late March for a 500 mile warm up for a PCT thru hike starting in May. Just go easy when you need to and enjoy your hike.
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Journal Entries

When I start my thru hike on the AT this year Ill be 70. Start date is March 07. In 2010 I had a four-way by pass and in 2011 a knee replacement. Ill be starting out with new anatomy. Ive been working out alot on my steep hill climbs and long distance hikes. I feel as though I can meet the chalenge. See you all on the trail.

Journal Entries

I too am a "Older" Hiker (56 years young) I plan on starting mid March, depending on 10 day forecast. I hope to see you out there.

Images

Hi all-

guess it's time I signed in here. I've been blowing up all the other boards, but I too will be hiking as much of the AT as my body, wallet, and mind will let me. Starting between march15 and april1, weather dependent - like so many others here. I'm 24 and will be having a trail birthday in July. Is a bottle of bubbly considered UL?

trail name is Rowan for planning purposes native american name - pee long time

Starting mid-March going NOBO and turning 53 at the end of that month. I'll have a little candle lit that night to celebrate and maybe a wee bit of something if I can manage to carry it! Very excited. Can't think of a better way to have a birthday and start a new life as a single lady, finding my own path in life.

I'm 48 years young and will be starting February 1st this year. Best wishes to everyone for a happy and healthy hike.

Cheers...
    Monk

I'll be 63 when I start and turn 64 in May. Just wave as you pass me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++