WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I'm quite happy with this filter so far. It's fast enough that I was able to completely drink the 32 oz bag while standing in the middle of a creek. I didn't feel like the filter was slowing me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    A quirk of these hollow fiber filters is that air doesn't pass through them very well. Actually the test to see if your filter is damaged is seeing if you can blow air through the filter: http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/...ilter_test.pdf
    Hello all,

After doing some online research I have decided to get the SP191 Point Zero Two Purifier and SP131 Squeeze water Filtration System a try.

@ Bucho

I was wondering if the air tester test can be done without connecting to the water bag?
    That is just blowing air into a dry filter.

What I have notice is that, there is no or very small amount of air come out on my SP191 and as for my sp131 there is a small amount of air.

Have anyone here tried this test out and what was the results?

Quote Originally Posted by r1rider View Post
    I was wondering if the air tester test can be done without connecting to the water bag?
    That is just blowing air into a dry filter.
    According to the manual you need to be sure to pass half a liter of water through the filter before testing.

Quote Originally Posted by r1rider View Post
    What I have notice is that, there is no or very small amount of air come out on my SP191 and as for my sp131 there is a small amount of air.
    Have anyone here tried this test out and what was the results?
    I've tested the sawyer 3 way and platypus filters according to the manual, I couldn't get air through either. I just tried blowing air through my sawyer 3 way while it was dry and I couldn't feel any air coming out the other side. However, I should add the disclaimer that I've done a thru hike with my sawyer and the flow rate on it isn't quite as fast as it used to be. If you're having any concerns I'd advise you to test your filter according to the platypus manual I posted and see if air will bubble through. Another thing to keep in mind even though I don't see it anywhere in the sawyer manual is that being dropped can damage these filters internally.

I just got the Sawyer 3-way and am wondering what the 2 male adapters connected to the 2" black hosing is for? I really can't think of what it could be used for. It doesn't even mention it in the contents listing.

Journal Entries

I used the Sawyer inline filter on my PCT thru hike in 08. It lasted from Mexico to Canada. I backed flushed it twice at my town stops. There are two sizes the smaller one can filter out most of the critters except viruses. The larger one does it all and can filter out many thousands of gallons before it needs backflushing. On my thru hike I used the smaller one. On my AT thru hike this year I will be using the new Sawyer sp131 squeeze unit. At 60 dollars you get the filter and three different size squeeze containers, .5L,1.0L,2.0L. If you dont want to use the squeeze containers then you can screw the filter on to a one liter plastic coke bottle or an eqivalent size bottle that has the same screw top opening. You also get a backflush unit with your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by MissPak View Post
    I just got the Sawyer 3-way and am wondering what the 2 male adapters connected to the 2" black hosing is for? I really can't think of what it could be used for. It doesn't even mention it in the contents listing.
    440.jpg

The short length of tube with 2 male adapters is only used for the third way of filtering in your 3-way filter. It allows you to connect the back-flushing hose to the female end of the filter so that you can filter tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    440.jpg

The short length of tube with 2 male adapters is only used for the third way of filtering in your 3-way filter. It allows you to connect the back-flushing hose to the female end of the filter so that you can filter tap water.
    duh! Thank you so much. I would still be scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by MissPak View Post
    I actually found one end will go into a camelbak quick release ( tested on the 3L antidote ) with a positive click like it was made for it and the other male into the grey side of the filter then you can run a hose and mouthpiece from the clean side .

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer View Post
    What kind of pre filter could be used?
    I'm using the MSR SweetWater Silt Stopper. Conceptually, it's simple, you just have two inline filters. In practice, it's a little awkward when using the squeeze mode to filter (not as much a problem with the 'sink' or drip mode mentioned earlier.

20140120_142232.jpg

Here is the two male end connector tube as I explained.

I bought 1 today, Looks good, I bought the silt stopper, but will have to order the adapter to get the squeeze bag output from female to hose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++