WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My gear got stolen on the road and I'm in need of a new pack.

I was in the middle of a through hike last year (2010) and ended up heading west. On the road my granite gear vapor trail and get got stolen. I'm in need of a new pack at the moment and I'm not sure what to get. The vapor trail is discontinued in way of the crown 60 but i need a pack sooner than next year. I keep my pack under 30 pounds and appreciate durability and simplicity. I had the exos 58 before the granite gear, and I'm considering a ULA but I’d prefer to stay away from internal hard frames.

So I’m looking for a pack in the same size and weight group as the granite gear vapor trail. Lighter is fine if it is durable and can hold up on traveling now and on the next through hike. Last trail days I saw some gorgeous cuben fiber packs but I don’t know the reputation too well. on cubens long term durability.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks a lot white blaze, it's good to post on here again.

David.

I had one to send you but it got snatched up by a stray transporter beam. How does that slogan go "Beam me Scotty........"

I thought I was on Craigslist for a minute.......

i went from a gg vapor trail to ula circuit and have never looked back. The gg was a great pack, and I was worried about the switch, mainly because of fit and comfort, but for me the ULA has performed as well as the gg in terms of comfort and better in others -- mainly easier access pockets and lighter weight.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

i love my gregory baltoro 70

Images

http://www.backpacker.com/editors-ch...-60/videos/154

Unless it is not available in close future.

Ps: I have not used this bag but it is my definite choice of ligh yet practical backpacks.

how about these? they are homemade usually means lite and free as well might be worth a try.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/x/index.ph...iewthread/383/

Images

the g g vapor trail is a great pack for comfort but lacks on external pockets and it is a top entry pack only. those are the only two drawbacks i could find. if your looking for a cheap and efficent pack the golite jam is or was on sale for 69$ just a couple weeks ago. i have been using the jam lately and it has performed just as well as the vapor trail. you just need to be aware of how you pack the jam or it doesnt carry correctly.....

I have a ULA catalyst and dont consider the frame a rigid frame. It has a fiberglass loop similiar to a tent pole and its primary goal is to transfer weight from the shouders to the hip belt. The pack has some give and can be twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have a ULA catalyst and dont consider the frame a rigid frame. It has a fiberglass loop similiar to a tent pole and its primary goal is to transfer weight from the shouders to the hip belt. The pack has some give and can be twisted.
    Another vote here for the Catalyst, or even the circuit, depending on your dry weight. I picked up a Catalyst in Damascus last year on my thru attempt, and I love it. But looking back now, I could have gone with the circuit to save a little more weight, as I have cut my weight/item needs even farther since then.

++ New Posts ++