WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

Default looking for a DIY spice container

for the last year or so ive been carrying around old pill bottles to keep my salt pepper and sometimes sugar in. they work pretty well, but there are a few things id like to improve on.

the first issue is a volume/weight thing. a whole pill bottle carries way more condiment than i need at any given time, so if i could get a smaller container to hold them in it will cut down grams and space taken up.

the other issue is that they do get moisture inside. theyve never gotten soaking wet, as i keep them in a ziplock inside a drybag, but i still get clumps of pepper and salt sometimes. this isnt too big a deal, but if it can be improved upon that would be cool.

i thought i saw a thread about some kind of bottle cap container but i got fed up pouring through pages of threads to find it.

-hambone
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Images

A smallish plastic bottle that used to hold vitamins works well for my sugar. The cap is quite snug and there hasn't been any moisture entry thus far. You can re-purpose plastic nip bottles to carry liquid ingredients like olive oil.

My most favorite newest gear thing is an MSR Spice bottle. http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Alpine-Sal...ref=pd_sim_sg1 It holds a lot for its weight. There is one without the divider that might be big enough for sugar.

I use the small 1 oz nalgens for spices-absolutly bombproof-last forever.

You night ask your local pharmacy if the have very small bottles for liquids--I got some cough syrup in one once--the bottle worked better than the medicine and I am still using it.

I use the little 1.5"x3" ziplock bags that you can find in the WallyWorld craft section or at craft stores.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    I use the little 1.5"x3" ziplock bags that you can find in the WallyWorld craft section or at craft stores.
    same here - separate bags for each spice and then an overall freezer bag to help keep the moisture out

Images

Images

Images

dobie swift wins! thats exactly the piece i was looking for.

rev and hog - do those baggies seal up well enough to keep moisture out, because i bet thats even lighter than the bottle cap thing
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

It gets better, easier, lighter and cheaper. Spice straws.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Now thats cool!

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    Me too. I think it's 50 or so bags for $1.00, if my memory serves me correct.

Oh, and don't forget about the old trick of adding rice to salt (or any other spice) to prevent caking due to moisture. ;o)

Images

those spice straws look AWESOME. even though ive since made a few cap containers im gonna have to try the straw trick next time out
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

I've done the straw trick with powdered chocolate milk mix for the kid's lunches. Only difference is I don't use heat to seal them. I bend the end of the straw over and push a short piece cut from another straw over the end to hold it. You could also use milkshake straws (FAT straws). I found them at KMart. I bet the heat sealed version would work better for liquids like oil or texas pete.
    Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

Track down some small (20 mL) Nalgene type HDPE plastic water sample bottles at a water testing lab or water softener company. I love mine for trips where I want to take small abouts of supply. I also keep one with mixed salt and pepper in it. Water and air tight.

986700.jpg
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

those nalgenes look pretty decent. probably lighter than the cap trick of a similar size. ill probably do something like that for next year's thru, but i do like that straw trick for shorter trips.

maybe ill go grab some slurpee straws from 7-11 or something. can you beat lightweight and free?
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by OBXWaMi View Post
    I've done the straw trick with powdered chocolate milk mix for the kid's lunches. Only difference is I don't use heat to seal them. I bend the end of the straw over and push a short piece cut from another straw over the end to hold it. You could also use milkshake straws (FAT straws). I found them at KMart. I bet the heat sealed version would work better for liquids like oil or texas pete.
    Using a piece of another straw over the folded end to keep it shut is an awesome idea! Well done!

Personally, I use small shampoo and conditioner bottles which I pick up at hotels and motels after thoroughly rinsing them out. For a short hike the straw thing sounds like the way to go, though.

Btw: If you use baggies you should probably keep them inside a hard shell (like your cookset) or you might find the inside of your food bag liberally spiced unintentionally. That's what I do with coffee grounds. In a bag, inside of my cookset. No worries.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-18-2011 at 00:01.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post

+1

https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I use the spice straws and think they work great. I seal one end with a heated nail. Once it is filled, fold over the other end and secure with painters tape. I then put them all in a snack size ziplock. When I am ready to add the spice, I cut the tape w/ the tip of my knife. I like using them, because I make my own dehydrated food and can bring exactly the amount needed for each meal.

I use to place content in a corner of a baggie,and then place said baggie in a gothic romance novel (cause i don't read um)and then seal that exposed edge with lighter.But that was a long time ago,I like your idea better less smoke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++