WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I need a cold weather bag, or if I can survive just with my 30 degree Marmot Neverwinter and layering of clothes at the front end and then again in the Whites. Using my Marmot the whole trail is my personal preference, mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy another bag. I'm leaving in the second half of March (probably closer to April then March 15).

I appreciate any advice!
    For me...a 30 deg bag will be too light for the south and way too warm for the mid-atlantic. I start with a consertative 20 deg Western Mountaineering and switch out to MacPac down travel liner when the weather breaks. One bag will not work well for the whole trail, unless you hike un-traditional, move around, or start real late AND finish early, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bad marriage View Post
    If you are staying in a shelter you could use your quarter-dome as a bag cover...that will stretch the temp rating a bit, and keep moisture off your bag.
    A VBL 'inside' the bag would work to some degree, covering the bag with a non-breathable canopy means a wet bag as others have stated

Images

I would want a zero bag for sure.

I had been going back and forth for the last few months about a sleeping bag. I finally decided on a cats meow. It seem like when I talk to folk s that had actually been on the trail and read forums it seemed the cats meow was a good choice for me. I am sure not for everyone but for me, the price, reviews, and for the AT hiking it was the best for me. Thanks

There's almost always a "Winter Storm" event in Georgia and North Carolina in March/April. I'd ditch the 30 degree bag idea.

I've gotten away with a 30* bag on all the hikes I've done through GA/NC which typically start on or around April 1st. I've sorta lost count, I think I'm up to four times now. I do supplement the bag with a good set of thermal tops and bottoms, along with a silk liner. There have been a couple of really cold nights where comfort was really marginal, but I haven't yet run into two (or more) of those kinds of nights in a row. Lucky I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about New England either. The trend the last few years has been for a warm fall. This year was a record breaker.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I need a cold weather bag, or if I can survive just with my 30 degree Marmot Neverwinter and layering of clothes at the front end and then again in the Whites. Using my Marmot the whole trail is my personal preference, mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to buy another bag. I'm leaving in the second half of March (probably closer to April then March 15).

I appreciate any advice!
    First you have to know yourself. Are you a warm or cold sleeper? If you are chilled/cold near your bag's rating.........forget it. I know for myself that I have fine down to 20° in my 30° bag if I am wearing my down jacket. Been there, done that, don't have to guess anymore. I am prob fine down to maybe 15 but have not experienced it. I just know I was comfy at 20.

Many of my hiking partners would be incredibly uncomfortable under those conditions. One of the biggest variables is the person themselves.

You will need to tent on the cold nights as the tent will feel maybe 10 degrees warmer than the shelter. You can also have a Nalgene with you and go to bed with a hot water bottle on the worst nights.

Would I be comfortable taking a 30° bag starting in late March? Most definitely yes. I would be watching the forecasts and if it called for record lows, I would be prepared to wait it out.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

You will spend money to combat the cold...either in the purchase of a warmer bag or money spent in a hostel/motel waiting out cold weather. Just my opinion. Have a great hike.

Use the 30 degree bag. I used a 40 degree bag. If the temperatures drops into the teens put on some clothes.

I say you are fine if:

Your bag is in good shape and is still really a 30
    You are not a "Cold" sleeper
    You have plenty of warm clothes(hooded puffy,puffy pants, booties would be ideal)
    You can keep your bag dry

Monday night I slept in my 30 MB ss in the Adirondacks in a lean-to, temp was probably mid-upper 30s as we had snow and sleet/rain. I went to bed in a puffy and mid weight merino bottoms and I was awake too hot 45 minuts later. Slept the rest of the night in just a base layer with the bag hood uncinched and was toasty as can be. I am a warm sleeper and the bag is spot on but I know I would be comfy down to 20 with above clothing system and cooler with puffy pants and booties. A tent will help even more.

Good answers. If you decide to supplement your sleeping bag with clothing, make sure your bag has the internal volume so as to not compress the clothing you wear (or vice-versa - the clothing can compress the down from the inside - it can be counterproductive).
    I have a bag rated to 40 degrees, which is zipperless, weighs 1-1/2 lb, and has some room inside. When it's cold I supplement it with a down liner made by Montbell (ULAP down liner) which weighs one pound. Together they keep me warm to 5 degrees or so, which is very reasonable for a 2-1/2 lb. bag system. For more warmth I can wear fleece inside. I often use a down hooded jacket, since the bags don't have hoods, but find that the fit is snug and doesn't really add much to the warmth of the bag.
    Also: In cold weather you might want to get in the practice of heating water before you go to bed, putting it in a water bottle (a bladder is too risky), stuffing it inside a sock, and taking it to bed with you. It adds an amazing amount of warmth. I have used vapor barriers inside a sleeping bag for additional warmth, but they trap moisture, which will soak any clothing that you might wear. If you decide to experiment with a VB liner, don't sleep in anything more than long underwear or a very thin fleece or wool.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I used a 30 degree bag my entire thru, and it was fine. I started March 10th.

Scorpion

I've been in the teens with my 35 degree MH Lamina teamed with a BA Aircore pad. The trick is to layer up early so you never get cold. I went to bed with most of my layers on and ended up sheding them through the night. When I woke up it was 19 degrees and I was snug and warm.

In any event...having something like a Black Rock Hat will go a loooooong way when it gets cold, especially sleeping. Adding more clothing does not work for me, I'm unable to heat up the air inside the bag and I get cold, I sleep far warmer in just shorts and tshirt than in a down jacket, all things equal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++